Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone recommend a current account WITHOUT internet banking?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:04 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:

I don't see any reason to change from them until they do get bought or go under. Your money is protected up to £85k by the FSCS

Yes. And I'm sure that process would be smooth and speedy as I'd expect from a government sponsored scheme run by a quango working in tandem with an administrator/liquidator.

Coop bank is either:

a) Going bust. Preparations are underway for this to happen "In an orderly fashion.". At best my account and all the money in it is frozen until they decide how the FSCS scheme is actually going to work (to my knowledge it's entirely theoretical at the moment, It's never been done). Mortgage payment gets missed... Fuckaroo.

b) Being bought out. Which would mean my account being transferred over to another bank not of my chosing. Account then gets frozen due to new bank asking for additional identification information (This happened to my Dads account when his RBS account was sold to Santander) "to prevent fraud". Mortgage payment gets missed... Fuckaray.

I'm not in the market for either a fuckaroo or a fuckaray at the moment.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:58 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Also, fuck up an electronic bank transfer with a typo and your money is gone.

Not true. Very Happy

If there's a typo then the sort code / account number / account name won't match up to an account and so the payment will be returned to the senders account the next day. I managed to do this a couple of months ago and was very surprised that the situation could be fixed rather than me being told "lolololol that was stupid, your money is gone and you're never going to see it again. is there anything else I can help you with today?"

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:51 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
there is no statutory basis for any of these assertions, it's all down to goodwill on the part of the bank.

Payment services directive 2009, updated 2013 Thumbs Up
You can thank the EU for that one Laughing

stinkwheel wrote:

I've listened to people on consumer programs who have had their accounts emptied by really quite sophisticated scams and have been left with nothing.

Depends on the scams.... Anyone that someone gets told that they will make big £££. Is not a scam. It's sheer greed on their part.
Sadly people fall for these cold calls and you will make £££ profit.. Why should a bank pay them back, when it's not their fault.... Or put it another way... Are you happy to stump up to cover their greed.... Because at the end of the day, that is where any refund comes from.

stinkwheel wrote:

Also, fuck up an electronic bank transfer with a typo and your money is gone.

Things are changing on that one. But again people need to take responsibility for their mistakes and not expect someone else to stump up for their mistake.

stinkwheel wrote:

I've also de-activated my wireless cards (cut the corner off, breaking the RFID antenna) because once again, there is no statuatory basis for their assertion that they would refund any money spent by someone who stole my wallet (and why the fuck do we have the situation again where someone who steals your wallet can use your card to buy stuff again? That's what chip and pin was supposed to stop, they've just made people a target for mugging again)

Blame retailers for not following procedure and allowing people to swipe cards without proof of who they are.
They should say. Forgot your PIN.... Toughh, ring bank and get a new one.

As to refunds see 1st answer Thumbs Up
Poundshop Dave This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
I just popped into my local branch of the CUmberland building society. Apparently, despite what it says on their website, they don't insist on you registering for online banking as long as you go into the branch to setup the account.

Got an appointment for monday and they'll do it all for me apparently.

£500 limit at the ATM with them too, which is handy.

Coop also do £500 ATM limit if you ask.

I don't see any reason to change from them until they do get bought or go under. Your money is protected up to £85k by the FSCS

d that works for co op says her store is closing

Not sure if its because crap or new company bought site said. So
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:39 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
M.C wrote:
I don't want contactless. They're pushing it on public transport because a few of us still have unregistered oyster cards (sticking it to the man), once that goes they truly will be able to track everyone. I still try to use cash wherever possible.

I mean contactless card vs. non contactless card.

If you want to use cash/crypto to keep your finances private then that is totally different.

So did I, chip and pin isn't secure and people do have trouble getting their money back. Contactless is just another way to put your money at risk IMO.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:42 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contactless haters will be pleased to hear that card you get with a Natwest Basic account doesn't do contactless payments.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:36 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Contactless haters will be pleased to hear that card you get with a Natwest Basic account doesn't do contactless payments.

Mine didn't do non-HSBC ATM's either. Mad

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Ste wrote:

Mine didn't do non-HSBC ATM's either. Mad

Now I heard a while back that soon you would only be able to use your cards in your own banks ATMs without incurring a fee. It's all gone quiet so has that been shelved or was it all a load of bollox?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:32 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:

Blame retailers for not following procedure and allowing people to swipe cards without proof of who they are.
They should say. Forgot your PIN.... Toughh, ring bank and get a new one.

As to refunds see 1st answer Thumbs Up

So how does that stop them using a contactless card, which was the point under discussion?

Chances are you could steal one and use it 2-3 times to spend up to £30 each time before being asked for a PIN.

So you walk into the shop to buy £30 of fags/booze. Present your stolen wireless card. If it goes through, winner, rinse and repeat in another shop. Flog the gear down the pub later. If it doesn't "Sorry, can't remember my PIN, I'll need to come back later." and walk out.

Meanwhile, as well as having been whacked across the back of the head with a buckie bottle, threatened with a shanking from a sawn-off golf club handle and having my wallet nicked, I'm left to argue the toss with the bank when I get back out of hospital that I didn't buy £180 worth of golden virginia on my credit and debit cards for my own use.

That's what wireless could do for you.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:55 - 25 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

I don't think any of their accounts do, at least none of my cards are contactless. Another one's due to be replaced soon so I'll see.

NatWest changed their policy with the basic accounts, you could use any ATM, then they restricted which ones you could use, now it's back to any I believe.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:52 - 26 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Meanwhile, as well as having been whacked across the back of the head with a buckie bottle, threatened with a shanking from a sawn-off golf club handle and having my wallet nicked, I'm left to argue the toss with the bank when I get back out of hospital that I didn't buy £180 worth of golden virginia on my credit and debit cards for my own use.

That's what wireless could do for you.

You know.. I have never come across anyone that has been assaulted for their card and contactless transactions.

Lost or stolen (either in a bar or bag stolen) all the time. End of the day a bank would have a very heard time not to refund anyone over this... FOS would crucify them, if it ever got passed the complaint team at the bank Karma

qarka
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:26 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Meanwhile, as well as having been whacked across the back of the head with a buckie bottle, threatened with a shanking from a sawn-off golf club handle and having my wallet nicked

You need to stop visiting Maryport... Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 20 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2