Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Evil vindictive little bastards (AKA piston dust seals)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Yorkshire Geek
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:56 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Evil vindictive little bastards (AKA piston dust seals) Reply with quote

How in the name of all that's holy are you supposed to get these fiddly little bastards into the fucking caliper? Fit one side, spoing goes the other and pops out! Round and round the cycle goes, get one half fitted and the other half of the cunting little shit is sticking up! It's enough to drive a man round the fucking bend! Insane I tell you!

*ahem*

Now that's out of my system, anyone got any tips for fitting a dust seal with great big man hands?

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rebuild my calipers with red rubber grease.
Sticky as fuck, so just jam my finger in there and rub around the circumference of the ring a couple of times and shes good to go.

You buying pattern seals by any chance?
I bought some shit ones that were wonky from the getgo.
Also had others damaged in transit and ended up the same.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Yorkshire Geek
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:15 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Ate brake grease but same principle, however running my finger round doesn't seem to be doing the job. Checked they match the old ones for size and they do, but after an hour of frustration and pulling my hair out it seemed like time to regroup.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:24 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually found the outer dust seals to be optional.

I never put them back in on my XJ, my NTV1 or NTV2, CB500, Fazer or two of my CBRs. Granted I do strip my brakes and rebuild them every few months so the issue of crud getting in is much less of a problem.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red rubber grease on the seal, press one side into the groove and run your finger round to press the rest in. If you can't get two fingers in then use something smooth and plastic to hold the seal in place while you press the rest in. The last little bit is slightly more awkward but again, just lift it into the cylinder and press it into place. Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:40 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Are these the basic seals, or the bellows like ones that go into a groove on the piston as well?

All the best

Katy

Yorkshire Geek
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:51 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No groove on the piston so presumably basic.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother fitting them. Just pack the groove with rubber grease once a year. I can stop my 400 with two fingers anywhere now i've thrown the godforsaken things away.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:26 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Don't bother fitting them. Just pack the groove with rubber grease once a year. I can stop my 400 with two fingers anywhere now i've thrown the godforsaken things away.

This. This. And more this.

Especially if Tokico 6 piston.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
.....Especially if Tokico 6 piston.

Hey I'm going to have to try that at some point
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refitting seals is by far the easiest part of calliper reassembly.

Red grease turns to shit and makes pistons stick. Instead I reassemble with brake fluid, no grease.

Not having dust seals will significantly reduce the service interval and life of the fluid seals, in my opinion, but im still on the originals at 82k.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:11 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

Red grease turns to shit and makes pistons stick. Instead I reassemble with brake fluid, no grease.

Not having dust seals will significantly reduce the service interval and life of the fluid seals, in my opinion, but im still on the originals at 82k.

Completely agree. I just put the seals back in over and over again on my NTV they were not changed for well over 100K
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

Brakes on my track bike dragged like fuck and were very wooden. Binned dust seals, no drag and 100% better power and feel. They were all swollen and dragging on the pistons. Now they are in the bin and i'll stick with cleaning the caliper once a year and repacking. Plus there is a weight saving and I have an autistic obsession with "for speed - add lightness".

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

I've never had an issue with red rubber grease and I've been using it for years.

I do agree on the dust seals though. Also, in some designs (Brembo for example) the dust seals appear to help keep the pistons running parallel in the bore.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
kramdra wrote:

Brakes on my track bike dragged like fuck and were very wooden. Binned dust seals, no drag and 100% better power and feel. They were all swollen and dragging on the pistons. Now they are in the bin and i'll stick with cleaning the caliper once a year and repacking. Plus there is a weight saving and I have an autistic obsession with "for speed - add lightness".

Perhaps take a shit and refit new dust seals that are not fucked?

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep i struggled with using red grease, ended up just using brake fluid instead

Yorkshire Geek
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:32 - 02 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the real answer turned out to be "return thee to thy dictionary and look up the meaning of clean".

The old seals have probably been in there since the world was young, there was enough cracked on crud that even brake part cleaner and a toothbrush couldn't shift that it was making just enough difference to make it impossible to get the seal to seat.

Ended up taking one of my angled picks to the groove and scraping 21 years of crap out then cleaning with brake part cleaner again. This time they went in in 2 minutes each, caliper now back in one piece and ready to go back on the bike!

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 02 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use match sticks to scrape the seal groves, as it wont scratch. Im about to do mine and I dont have any matches left, got to walk to shop Mad

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:03 - 02 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Brake seals will likely expand when exposed to brake cleaner for any length of time. I totally wrecked a set when I absent mindedly left them soaking in brake cleaner for an hour or so.

All the best

Katy

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

Perhaps take a shit and refit new dust seals that are not fucked?

Why spend money I don't need to?

It won't stop better with dust seals and I'm cynical (I.e I think you're talking bollocks) that the main seals will wear quicker.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 16 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1