Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stainless fastners

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:37 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Stainless fastners Reply with quote

Sorting a bike that's been stood for at least 2 years, and I'm going to need to replace a lot of M4-M8 stuff. I don't fancy chucking cheap stuff in there as it'll just happen again.

Can anyone recommend a decent source for stainless other than fleabay, as I've had crap that purported to be stainless from there before? An assortment would be good.

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:51 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Stainless fastners Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Sorting a bike that's been stood for at least 2 years, and I'm going to need to replace a lot of M4-M8 stuff. I don't fancy chucking cheap stuff in there as it'll just happen again.

Can anyone recommend a decent source for stainless other than fleabay, as I've had crap that purported to be stainless from there before? An assortment would be good.

Never had a problem with ebay stuff as long as it is a UK supplier. I use it for boats mainly so has a harder life than on a bike generally.

I just buy in bulk (50s usually) when I need some and the rest goes in the toolbox - miles cheaper than picking it up in bubble packs

Suggest you go for A2 rather than A4 as it will be stronger

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:18 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to start replacing fasteners, I'm not especially happy that some are beginning to rust on a 66 plate bike thats done
only a 1000 odd miles. But they are built to a price I suppose and it won't be a huge expense if I work my way around a few
bolts at a time. The pipe hose clamps are the worst offenders. Can you buy these in stainless?
https://www.xuxinhardware.com/pic/big/55_0.jpg

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *think* those are made (originally at least, probably copied if rusting already) by Mikalor. They make many kinds of hose clamps, very good stuff.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:37 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Stainless fastners Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Screwfix.

I've bought stainless fittings and small pieces of steel stock off this seller before. All appeared to be of a high quality.

https://stores.ebay.co.uk/MRS-DIY-SUPPLIES?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Stainless fastners Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Screwfix.

You know the Homer Simpson "DOH!" saying? Yeah, imagine that about now...

I'll be having this today.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-mixed-bolts-nuts-washers-pack-a2-stainless-steel-500-pcs/5838k#product_additional_details_container
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 356 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1