PostPosted: 08:19 - 22 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIfcvC3e3KY Laughing

OK, that is properly funny. Clapping

Last edited by Rogerborg on 08:20 - 22 Jun 2016; edited 1 time in total

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:19 - 22 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my favourite and the one I thought of when seeing the other CBR. It's been doing the rounds, but still funny.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 22 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan was CBT, hire 125 for some practice on a few weekends, then do a DAS course.
So I booked my CBT one Saturday, I managed to drop the bike early on, but still got through it all and got my cert. The following weekend I hired a 125 off the training school for a day to practice on and just went riding around all day. By late afternoon I was getting bored and didn't feel like I was learning a lot so I booked my DAS and a few weeks later did a three day course with the test on the final afternoon.
There were a few people on my course doing the same and they all passed with the exception of one woman who actually had more experience on a 125. She was more confident than the rest of us on the bike and was making it all look easy, until she locked up the back wheel on the way to the test center on a downshift. She didn't drop it, no drama, but it wrecked her nerves 10 minutes before the test.

That was back in 2000, the tests were a bit different, I think DAS courses tend to be 4 days now?
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 287 days between these two posts...

Herb Bert
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:22 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Guys,

Passed my theory and completed my CBT successfully last week, Hooray !!

Was an exhausting day, also had some hairy moments when instructor came in front of me and I was trying to keep up, and quite tense about not banging him from the back. It seems I had nothing to worry about and was relieved at the end of the ride. It’s really down to the training school, SN Motorcycle Training in Barking who were fantastic and taught me how to use the brake levers and other controls properly which I now realise I didn’t get in my previous attempt at a CBT, at a different centre which has since been closed down (rightly so), by the authorities for ahem… irregularities.

On the day had the chance to ride on both a 125cc geared bike and a 125cc scoot….(told you the schools fantastic !!) and one other student had a go on a big bike.

It’s funny how your opinions change after a CBT – before CBT I wanted a big faired bike- after CBT – and after being on the road in London traffic…realised a 125cc is more than enough, especially a twist n go .

I’m glad, I didn’t pay for a DAS at the same time, as I hadn’t had access to a bike since my previous CBT attempt and tbh I don’t think I would have passed it and at £750 a go, that would have been a financial disaster. Fail a DAS course again….without any access to a motorcycle …and I see the costs adding up considerably.

Its always said on this forum, that minds change after a CBT…I believe I’m starting to think …” Time on a tiddler is rarely wasted…..” I am also thinking of getting a scooter…something that’s been suggested here previously like a PCX ,Burgman or a Honda S-wing 125cc for a budget of 1K -1.5K … have to admit that some new Chinese scoots look great…but can’t really take the chance - even on a brand new one especially as no rider reviews seem to exist anywhere.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:46 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herb Bert wrote:
had some hairy moments when instructor came in front of me and I was trying to keep up, and quite tense about not banging him from the back.

Shocked WOW!!! CBT has changed since I did it.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:02 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot to take in, great to hear that you got through it.

Herb Bert wrote:
” Time on a tiddler is rarely wasted…..”

Said by people who've never ridden anything bigger, or who get sperg-leg paralysis when they do. Wink

Before you decide, I'd urge you to blag a quick go on a bigger bike. And forget the notion that DAS refers to anything other than the tests. You should be able to find a school or an instructor who will train you in a manner and a schedule that you're happy with.

That said, for London a 125 scootay does make sense. I'd agree with going for a used Japanese branded scooter. For one thing, the new Euro 4 Lexmoto scooters come in at £1800 - £2100 OTR, which means they're not as big a bargain as they used to be.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn't want to ride a 125 on the North Circular anymore than I'd like to be on roller skates in the Ben-Hur chariot race scene.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Herb Bert
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:09 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advices guys. For clarity purposes when I went on the road, I was on the scooter hence my CBT was issued on that though I understand I can ride geared if I want to.

My concerns are;

Wanting to gain confidence on the road without the hassle of gears at first. Will not be looking to commute for now but looking to ride locally, having said I do see people on 125cc’s on A406, it is slow during peak hours and 50cc’s even whizz by.

I think what Im also worried about losing momentum now that Ive got my CBT and with my missus finally coming round to the idea of me getting a bike…..i don’t want to leave it long again - though now after re-reading my post following grr666 reply, i hope she never comes across my post as might assume double-life. LOL

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all seriousness I did my CBT and DAS at 40 in 2014. Did CBT on a Fazer 600 and all my DAS training and tests.
Bought a year old ER6f while the ink was still wet on my test certificate, chopped it in last year for a brand new MT09
Sport Tracker. In my youth I did a lot of naughty thrill seeking things and none of those come close to going out and caning
my bike on a nice sunny day. There's also a lot of sensible bike options out there that aren't overwhelming, and at our age
insurance is cheap. My first year on the ER6f was 111quid Full Comp as a brand new rider with zero no claims.
What part of London are you from? I've spent many many hours on the A406 in my time. I used to drive a truck out of
a yard in Tottenham every day for 4 years.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herb Bert wrote:
My concerns are...
Well I did my first years' commuting on a scooter, so if you fancy one to practice on then go for it, though to be honest a geared 125 will be more fun, learning the gears only takes about an hour, it's actually a lot easier than with a car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Herb Bert
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:26 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im coming from Barking, know Tottenham a bit though ..as I'm from Walthamstow.
TBH being 5ft5 may have meant that's why maybe I got comfy on the scoot- a Honda Dylan.
What I may do is get a gear conversion course and maybe get a few hours on a geared bike in a controlled environment?

Bigvern72
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:38 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herb Bert wrote:
Im coming from Barking, know Tottenham a bit though ..as I'm from Walthamstow.
TBH being 5ft5 may have meant that's why maybe I got comfy on the scoot- a Honda Dylan.
What I may do is get a gear conversion course and maybe get a few hours on a geared bike in a controlled environment?

Personally I think you're overthinking the 'gears' part. You'll be amazed at how easy it is after about 2 minutes. You're not the first and you won't be the last to think like this - but seriously it's really very easy.

I did my cbt and then bought at cb125f which I commuted on whilst doing by DAS over a 3 month period. Soon as I passed full DAS the 125 was pants. For sure they're light and easy to work through the traffic, but do are scores of bikes at 600cc or there shouts......and that ability to twist and zip away from traffic at lights, roundabouts etc is something not easily done on a 125.

My advice would be to get as cheap a bike/scooter as you can fit a few months and get your Full licence sorted. You won't regret it.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herb Bert wrote:
Im coming from Barking,

I'm an ex Dagenham boy. Lived there most of my life, then moved to Harold Hill now live near Bristol.
I find the whole are unreconisable now, parents are still there so visit every now and then.

Herb Bert
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:48 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. A lot has changed...it must be years since you left though. Don't blame you...looking to exit London myself tbh.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:35 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been away just over 6 years now. Don't miss it in the slightest. My Mrs is a Bristol girl who came to London for uni.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herb Bert wrote:
SN Motorcycle Training in Barking

Did you get Sarah as your instructor?
I know her, she's cool.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:38 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was scared to take my 125 on the North Circular, problem's at 50ish you're getting towards the bikes top speed, and don't have much/anything to get you out of trouble. Might not be an issue when commuting in traffic, I know someone who did the A13 for years on a CBF125 without issue (until the engine shat itself close to 30k).

Herb Bert
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:28 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Herb Bert wrote:
SN Motorcycle Training in Barking

Did you get Sarah as your instructor?
I know her, she's cool.

Nikki was my instructor - Great teacher ! Met Sarah too, both are friendly but also quite professional. Im glad I chose them.

Herb Bert
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:30 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I was scared to take my 125 on the North Circular, problem's at 50ish you're getting towards the bikes top speed, and don't have much/anything to get you out of trouble. Might not be an issue when commuting in traffic, I know someone who did the A13 for years on a CBF125 without issue (until the engine shat itself close to 30k).

That's why I wont consider commuting on the North Curcular with a 125cc...
used to dream of doing it...until I joined this forum. got good advice.....did my CBT and came to my senses !!

Herb Bert
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:30 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Been away just over 6 years now. Don't miss it in the slightest. My Mrs is a Bristol girl who came to London for uni.

Good one !

SuperMike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:48 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done for getting the CBT done. I first jumped on a PCX 125 about 4 years ago as like you I had had enough of sitting in traffic on my commute to work. I head around the South Circular for 10 miles each way, and the scooter was fine - there aren't really any sections where you can get anywhere near motorway speeds, so sitting at 30 - 50mph the scooter was happy as Larry.

Got knocked off however a couple of years ago and at the age of 37 decided to get my DAS done. I wouldn't say that on my big bike I get to work any quicker than on my scooter, but I am a lot more visible. The number of SMIDSY incidents I have to contend with has dropped considerably as I now make a lot more noise and am a lot bigger.

Having the big bike has also opened up the world of Sunday afternoon fun as well. Not something I do a lot, but heading off round the lanes now and again will put a smile on anyone's face.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2