Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Car tyre pressures [exciting topic alert]

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Car tyre pressures [exciting topic alert] Reply with quote

I'm pondering why car tyre pressures (generally) are higher in the front tyres (is it due to engine weight)? Also do tyre pressures influence handling characteristics as dramatically as on a bike (with a couple of PSI making a difference)? Would going higher in the rear eliminate some of understeery nature of a car?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:16 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Car tyre pressures [exciting topic alert] Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I'm pondering why car tyre pressures (generally) are higher in the front tyres (is it due to engine weight)?

Yes.

Diesel Satanmobiles have even higher front pressures because their engines are a solid lump of tortured virgin souls.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:26 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Swift Sport has two recommended settings

41F 36R Eco mode

36F 33R Comfort mode

It has a kerb weight of just 1045kg

Just had a puncture repaired on it only yesterday. £25 for a puncture repair. Shocked It's been a long time since I had a car
tyre repaired but it was about a tenner going rate last time I did.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:27 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Car tyre pressures [exciting topic alert] Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Would going higher in the rear eliminate some of understeery nature of a car?

No not really. Going too far would pronounce oversteer though. Best way to counter understeer is to learn how to use slip angles to your advantage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
My Swift Sport

Fab car. Very underrated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:31 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very into the bodyshop this Wednesday due to a slight reversing error on my part. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Car tyre pressures [exciting topic alert] Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:
I'm pondering why car tyre pressures (generally) are higher in the front tyres (is it due to engine weight)?

Yes.

Diesel Satanmobiles have even higher front pressures because their engines are a solid lump of tortured virgin souls.

So does an MX-5 run the same in the front/rear as the weight distribution's (I believe) 50/50?

arry wrote:
M.C wrote:
Would going higher in the rear eliminate some of understeery nature of a car?

No not really. Going too far would pronounce oversteer though. Best way to counter understeer is to learn how to use slip angles to your advantage.

I've only driven shit cars, but I was pondering why my work van which runs higher rear pressures (I guess expecting a load), handles a lot better. Obviously other factors are at work, I'm sure the van being wider helps.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belatedly checked my cars tyre pressures last week
and found the NS rear was 12 psi !
Embarassed
I had no idea when driving it

The bike would have thrown me off if I did that on it

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:27 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my Aygos pressures are out - can't tell a thing. If the S2000 has different pressures in the rears by even 2 PSI you really know about it. It will squirm around under load, most disconcerting.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:58 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Car tyre pressures [exciting topic alert] Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

So does an MX-5 run the same in the front/rear as the weight distribution's (I believe) 50/50?

Think about weight transfer rather than static distribution.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:58 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Car tyre pressures [exciting topic alert] Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I'm pondering why car tyre pressures (generally) are higher in the front tyres (is it due to engine weight)? Also do tyre pressures influence handling characteristics as dramatically as on a bike (with a couple of PSI making a difference)? Would going higher in the rear eliminate some of understeery nature of a car?

My car is 2.1BAR / 2.3BAR (front/rear). Yes, lower/higher tyre pressure does influence driving.

Low pressure (all 4 wheels, or 2 wheels at the same axle) = car will feel very spongy on the road.
Low pressure in only one of the wheels = the car won't probably go straight. You're gonna need to use some steering input to keep the car going straight (I noticed that when my rear right tyre was very low).
High pressure = hard ride, not as stable as you'd think + reduced grip, the tyres will get uneven wear (the center of the tyre will get bald sooner than the outer lines of the thread). Higher pressure (mostly at the rear axle) helps when the car is fully loaded with passangers and cargo.

Now, it seems to me FWD cars preffer more air in the front wheels. So the driven axle seems to be the deciding factor.

-----------
IF you want stability, go with larger wheels and lower side walls. That's where all the wobbliness is. But beware, the driving comfort will reduce.

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:24 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Car tyre pressures [exciting topic alert] Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Now, it seems to me FWD cars preffer more air in the front wheels. So the driven axle seems to be the deciding factor.

Nope. FWD cars have relatively more weight over the front than RWD due to the positioning of the gearbox and axle. More weight = more air pressure.

FWD is all to do with manufacturing cost. FWD cars are cheaper to build as the engine/gearbox/steering/front suspension etc. can be installed as one unit

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has more pressure in the rear. Checked mine for the first time since about June last year (new tyres). About 10psi down all round. 35 front 36 year.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:36 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Car tyre pressures [exciting topic alert] Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

They do run the same tyre pressure front and back. Not sure they have 50/50 weight distribution though

All the best

Katy

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:39 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again wrote:
Mine has more pressure in the rear. Checked mine for the first time since about June last year (new tyres). About 10psi down all round. 35 front 36 year.

So does mine. But that is where the engine lives.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Car tyre pressures [exciting topic alert] Reply with quote

Baggyman wrote:
FWD is all to do with manufacturing cost. FWD cars are cheaper to build as the engine/gearbox/steering/front suspension etc. can be installed as one unit

Have we both seen the exact same video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU5KHeE_YYI ?Thinking

Baggyman wrote:
Nope. FWD cars have relatively more weight over the front than RWD due to the positioning of the gearbox and axle. More weight = more air pressure.

I just checked other RWD cars from Mercedes-Benz and all of them have either lower pressure on the front axle or the same pressure on both axles. Some of those cars have V8 and V12 engines on the front axle. W210 had inline four 2.0L petrol to 4.3L V8 + various diesel engines.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 16 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1