Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Filtering in Germany

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Filtering in Germany Reply with quote

Hi All,

Taking a little jaunt to Munich at the start of April. Planning to do the ride over 2 days so it'll only be around 400 miles ish a day. I'm going to ride down through Belgium/Luxembourg.

I've never really ridden many miles into Germany, I've driven a lot there but I've never really seen bikes filtering there. I'm aware it's not strictly legal but I can't see myself sitting on an autobahn for hours on end in traffic. Anybody know the specifics and the fine if you get caught?

Cheers!

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive done about 15K road miles in Germany in the car and can't say I've ever seen a situation where you'd need to filter on the autobahn. Everyone keeps over unless overtaking or going flat out. Even then when someone is going more flat out the one in front soon moves over!

Approaching roadworks or accidents might be different I guess but it still seems to just work as it should.

derillius24
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:58 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, the Autobahns, in my experience, work extremely well. Unless there's an accident or major works ongoing, you'll spend more time worrying about not getting squished by cars closing you down at warp speed while you're sat in the outside lane than you will about filtering.

The roads, particularly the speed limited stretches, do of course get busy at the usual times. I've never experienced any trouble while filtering in Germany, in fact I found the drivers to be generally observant and courteous and often moving over to allow bikes through. As ever, do so responsibly and at a sensible pace and everything will (probably) be fine.

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:03 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work in the Ruhr valley and the Autobahns do grind to a halt at rush hour around the major cities e.g. Cologne, Essen, Düsseldorf, Dortmund

Filtering isn't strictly legal, but is tolerated between the outside and middle lane (or inside lane on dual carriageway Autobahns) if you're sensible. It definitely isn't tolerated in towns

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:37 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to filter at some point on every trip to Germany. I don't really think about whether it's legal or not - I've just done it without thinking.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 20 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
Had to filter at some point on every trip to Germany. I don't really think about whether it's legal or not - I've just done it without thinking.

It's technically illegal I'm sure, but if other local bikes are doing it I'd tag along as it's widely ignored though not blatantly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RodYork
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:17 - 05 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came back from Germany last year. I filtered behind a Police traffic officer for over 15 miles...They were like moses parting the sea!...I was just a disciple!

Al
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode up from Munich across into Belgium on a bank holiday and the traffic was a nightmare, pretty much stop start anywhere within 20 miles of a city. Its the only time I've really needed to filter on the autobahn but people moved over in there lanes and were generally friendly about it. Most other bikes were filtering but I did see a few just sitting in traffic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I have seen traffic on the autobahn was when they closed it due to an accident, if that happens DO NOT FILTER TO THE FRONT. I was told (by German bikers) that police frown upon that and get a bit trigger happy with the fines. I haven't tested that out so don't know if they were pulling my leg or giving genuine advice. All bikes had pulled over to the side together and we all sat there and attempted conversation in broken English and German.

However I have filtered extensively in Germany before. If you get pulled over you could try the whole "But I is tourist and saw someone else do it!" then look pathetic and see if they take pity on you.

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:28 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've filtered in Germany, huge amount of traffic and an accident resulted in a car park on the autobahn. We filtered through it without too much incident

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:46 - 23 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

its funny but when i'm riding abroad i'm so much more relaxed about rules and regulations, especially in France and Italy. if you ask me, so are the locals.

Ali in Austria
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:42 - 24 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is illegal to filter in Germany. That doesn't stop us doing it but be ready for the clown who objects and blocks your path. Technically he is in the right.

In the event of slow or stationary traffic, the outside lane will move to the offside and all lanes inside of that to the nearside to form an open lane for emergency vehicles. very tempting but use it at your peril.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:51 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This got me thinking - not strictly related to Germany, but what happens if you get a ticket in Europe? I've read people just ignore it and go home? Also heard under EU law they can chase fines over £60 across Europe, but would Brexit change this? hmm food for thought

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
This got me thinking - not strictly related to Germany, but what happens if you get a ticket in Europe? I've read people just ignore it and go home? Also heard under EU law they can chase fines over £60 across Europe, but would Brexit change this? hmm food for thought

Depends where and the severity, but some will take you to a cash machine or bank to pay it before you can go, some (like Spain) will confiscate you bike until you've been to court (true story).

As for fixed speed cameras in Europe, I've ridden through many and given zero fucks.

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is illegal, and from talking to friends who've biked in germany a fair bit, the locals do not take very kindly to their laws being broken, and not just blocking your way, but actually knocking you off wouldn't be seen as uncommon or necessarily a problem to them. have only seen blockage myself though whilst in car over there

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can now report exactly what happens when you Filter on the Autobahn and an unmarked BMW 5 series touring sees you. They shout at you to pull onto the hard shoulder and follow them at 30kph with their lights on to a parking bay, then they explain that overtaking on the right is illegal in Germany (I was filtering in solid traffic at around 30kph on an autobahn near stuttgart). Then they give you a 100 euro on the spot fine and call a van to bring a card machine with which to pay. He also didn't believe me that filtering is legal in the UK until I showed him online. Then they pull out of the lay by behind you and when two german registered bikes fly past down the middle of the traffic they do absolutely nothing. Fucking foreign plate tax bullshit.

So yeah, unless you have a german plate don't filter in Germany unless you want to spend 100 Euros Middle Finger

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they say the Germans don't have a sense of humour. Wink

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 06:26 - 13 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO they don't, the double standard still exists, common market, balls!
They where the same 40years ago when I lived and worked there.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:57 - 13 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just lob a Gurman plate on it ...... long as the thing it is also on was / is road legal and insured ... job jobbed?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 351 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1