Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First 'big' bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

DaemonCor
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:28 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: First 'big' bike Reply with quote

Hey!

Finally decided to up my game a little and get my full bike (as much as I can at 21).

Just thinking what people would suggest? Looking for something sporty but not too heavy, considering I'm 5ft 2 as well!

Thanks & good to meet you all 😊
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Budget? Use type? Does it need to be reliable, for example?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

davethekwak
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:44 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lad (19) has just completed his A2 and bought a Ninja 300.
Nice looking bike, light and had no trouble keeping up when we went for a run. Insurance cost are considerably less than a restricted 600

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:00 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your inside leg?

Your initial problem is that your test bike needs to be 395cc+ which in practice means a CB500F or even something bigger like an ER6 or SFV650.

So, sorry to be <Buzz Killington> but until you've got your A2 licence, it's a premature question. After you're licensed, you'll know what size of bike you can comfortably handle.

Premature answers are that a Ninja 300 can be easily handled with a 28" inside leg. Other good shouts might be the R3 or Duke 390, or the CBR300R if you can find one.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
What's your inside leg?
One of our couriers who was about 5'2" rode a Pan European, height is less important than you think.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
What's your inside leg?
One of our couriers who was about 5'2" rode a Pan European, height is less important than you think.

Depends how you're comfortable on a bike. Some people on here like to be able to flat foot, I don't mind being on tiptoes but I don't think I'd like a bike where I couldn't get both feet down (not a heavy bike anyway).

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:34 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
What's your inside leg?

The old style Pan Euro has a lower seat than my Ninja 250, and your point is... ?

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly short. can stand flat foot on my zzr6 no problem at all. i dare say i can sit down on it with both feet flat and knees bent.

only thing realistically to do is go out there and sit on some bikes and see what you're comfortable on

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass your test and then start looking for the right bike.

Meanwhile, if you get a chance then sit on any bike you can (With permission) to get ideas and to keep an eye on prices of what's suitable. This may help https://cycle-ergo.com/ .

Bear in mind that many bikes that initially look too tall may have a longer travel suspension and be much lower when you're sitting on them.

petalbriefs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:31 - 13 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
What's your inside leg?

Indeed, I am just shy of 5" and ride an R6 (lowered) its a lot about confidence when it comes to size and there are other factors to consider first Smile

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:49 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
Pass your test and then start looking for the right bike.

Meanwhile, if you get a chance then sit on any bike you can (With permission) to get ideas and to keep an eye on prices of what's suitable. This may help https://cycle-ergo.com/ .

Bear in mind that many bikes that initially look too tall may have a longer travel suspension and be much lower when you're sitting on them.

Also seat width. I sat on a dirt bike which was 875mm and was surprised I could get my feet down as well as on the MT-03 (at 805mm).

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:51 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: First 'big' bike Reply with quote

DaemonCor wrote:
Hey!

Finally decided to up my game a little and get my full bike (as much as I can at 21).

Just thinking what people would suggest?

In the end. Garage door.

Imagine, you've got up early on a spring/summer crossover day. The whole of summer is ahead of you, beginning with this awesome ride.

You fasten every buckle and strap on lid, gloves, boots and jacket. Knowing completion of each one brings you closer to the awesomeness and unlimited potential behind that garage door.

Clobbered up and ready to roll, you lift the garage door and the early morning sun slowly reveals the shiny ....A.... and you get a rush of....B.....

If B <> excitement and <> make you feel alive, then A is a fail. That simple.

What excites you?
appletree This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Confusing). Unhide this post / all posts.

DottyDuck
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:08 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: First 'big' bike Reply with quote

appletree wrote:

Hay Hun, glad to see another gal on a bike, I don't think you can get above a 400cc bike I'm sorry if I'm wrong, just trying to help but would be happy to go on ride outs with you hun

This isn't true. I had a Kawasaki zr7 which is a 738cc engine which was restricted for the A2 licence. Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:44 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ yep it's done by power not capacity.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

petalbriefs wrote:
Indeed, I am just shy of 5" and ride an R6 (lowered) its a lot about confidence when it comes to size and there are other factors to consider first Smile

Like making sure the person you're following doesn't make a wrong turn? Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 335 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1