Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insurance for MOT

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Insurance for MOT Reply with quote

Dear BCF
I've been fixing up a wee scoot for the lad and it's almost ready for MOT
Its been off the road for years and He's sorned it since getting the V5

My bike insurance allows me to ride other bikes
but does this allow me to ride it to the MOT and back
if he hasn't got his own insurance sorted yet?
TIA
Unsure of Bristol
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:10 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Depends on the exact wording of your insurance policy. Some do specify that it must be insured anyway.

All the best

Katy

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What keit.........

Katy said

Fuck sake still forget
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks
I was going to chance it but
I'll probably play it safe and bung it in the back of the Galaxy

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I have 3rd party insurance on any other bike on a policy, but the bike on which I have the policy has no MOT - am I still insured 3rd party on other bikes - seeing as I'm not riding the actual bike to or from a pre-booked MOT?

Moot point really, my Honda CRF mot has expired, but I also have this on my Beta.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:51 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Depends on the exact wording of your insurance policy. Some do specify that it must be insured anyway.

Is this commonplace? If not then what's there to stop you buying a powerful motorbike/car, registering it to your mam, and driving/riding it on your third-party cover.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:08 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
If I have 3rd party insurance on any other bike on a policy, but the bike on which I have the policy has no MOT - am I still insured 3rd party on other bikes - seeing as I'm not riding the actual bike to or from a pre-booked MOT?

You have to actually read your own policy in detail. Sorry, that's the boring but correct answer. Ignore anyone making sweeping assertions of fact - they haven't read your policy.

M.C wrote:
If not then what's there to stop you buying a powerful motorbike/car, registering it to your mam, and driving/riding it on your third-party cover.

If it's insured, no problem. If it's not, problem.

De jure, if it's not insured then it must be SORNed (which is neither here not there), and that will cancel any VED (which is both here and there). The only exception to requiring VED sweeping assertion of fact is when taking it to or away from a pre-booked MOT or to have remedial work done identified by an MOT.

De facto, it'll trigger ANPR all over the shop and they'll smash in your mam's back door (with NIPs and S172). If by some astonishing fluke you run into either of the two traffic cops still on the road, you're gagging for a tug IRL.

They are then highly likely to seize the vehicle, regardless of any paperwork that you produce - see Pryor vs CC of GMP for that sorry tale.

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:11 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
thx1138 wrote:

You have to actually read your own policy in detail. Sorry, that's the boring but correct answer. Ignore anyone making sweeping assertions of fact - they haven't read your policy.

M.C wrote:
If not then what's there to stop you buying a powerful motorbike/car, registering it to your mam, and driving/riding it on your third-party cover.

De jure, if it's not insured then it must be SORNed (which is neither here not there), and that will cancel any VED (which is both here and there). The only exception to requiring VED sweeping assertion of fact is when taking it to or away from a pre-booked MOT or to have remedial work done identified by an MOT.

De facto, it'll trigger ANPR all over the shop and they'll smash in your mam's back door (with NIPs and S172). If by some astonishing fluke you run into either of the two traffic cops still on the road, you're gagging for a tug IRL.

They are then highly likely to seize the vehicle, regardless of any paperwork that you produce - see Pryor vs CC of GMP for that sorry tale.

and your mam will have had to have passed her bike test otherwise she will have fibbed on the insurance application

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:25 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Hmm so the scam, scheme, ploy would have to be a bit more cunning. Still if you had a relative who could insure a V8 fireblade turbo for £80, it could work.

Baggyman wrote:
and your mam will have had to have passed her bike test otherwise she will have fibbed on the insurance application

*runs quote for 70yr old learner*

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:51 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Is this commonplace? If not then what's there to stop you buying a powerful motorbike/car, registering it to your mam, and driving/riding it on your third-party cover.

It used to be very common.

Problem these days is that they are more wise to it, and the issues with SORN, which effectively forces the registered keeper to insure and tax it.

Legally you need insurance to 'use' the vehicle on the road.

All the best

Katy

AndyCF
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you've mentioned that it is a Pre-Booked (sensible) MOT test in advance, ideally get something on their header paper with the appointment too, this way (once you've got the insurance sorted) you've covered the "to and from the place of test" part of it too...

Just a phone call to book is not really enough in some cases, you need something a bit more concrete ideally "just in case"

Hope all goes OK with the test too. Smile

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyCF wrote:
I know you've mentioned that it is a Pre-Booked (sensible) MOT test in advance, ideally get something on their header paper with the appointment too, this way (once you've got the insurance sorted) you've covered the "to and from the place of test" part of it too...

Just a phone call to book is not really enough in some cases, you need something a bit more concrete ideally "just in case"

Hope all goes OK with the test too. Smile

Good luck with that, most of the garages I've dealt with wouldnt know where they keep letterheaded paper, if they have it.

However, an entry in their diary is legal enough.

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S

AndyCF
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:58 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal wrote:
Good luck with that, most of the garages I've dealt with wouldnt know where they keep letterheaded paper, if they have it.

However, an entry in their diary is legal enough.

I've used the quotation printouts for it just having the entry on there (and it was in the tester's diary too) Smile , that way they had something semi official looking with the company details on it too.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:02 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quotation printouts for an MOT? Confused

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:29 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not that relevant to bikes but if you book online through a chain you'll get an email receipt/confirmation. In the past I've rang up, told them the bike has no MOT and they've taken the reg'. If you did get pulled and they wanted confirmation I doubt the garage would lie.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:45 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have whatever bits of paper with quotes on them or email confirmations and they don't mean anything. What's needed is for the garage to have a record of the booking along with the registration of the bike.

It's all standard stuff for the MOT garage.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:51 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

With kwik-fit etc. you book a specific slot and get an email saying the date/time of the MOT. As I said not that relevant as I'm not sure of a chain that does bikes.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyCF wrote:

Ask my current MOT guy to write something down? Rather slide down razor wire using my bollocks as a brake.

Conversation with *all* previous testers :- "Hi, need an MOT" - "Yeah, weds at 3, what your reg, make, model".

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:50 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

No wonder they're not bothered about bike theft if they're in on the action as well.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 11 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1