Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Valve Clearance Questions (CB500)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 02:28 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Valve Clearance Questions (CB500) Reply with quote

It has come time to do the valve clearances (or at least take the measurements). As this is my first time doing shims under buckets, I have a couple of blindingly obvious questions:

1) Do you really have to take the camshafts and buckets out to check the shim size for ordering replacements?

2) The method for calculating shim replacements: (specified clearance - measured clearance) +/- original shim thickness (depending on if clearance is too large/small), is this correct?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:22 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Valve Clearance Questions (CB500) Reply with quote

Falco wrote:
It has come time to do the valve clearances (or at least take the measurements). As this is my first time doing shims under buckets, I have a couple of blindingly obvious questions:

1) Do you really have to take the camshafts and buckets out to check the shim size for ordering replacements?

2) The method for calculating shim replacements: (specified clearance - measured clearance) +/- original shim thickness (depending on if clearance is too large/small), is this correct?

1) Measure first then remove c/shafts to check current sizes (if they're out of spec) - don't mix em up in the process

2) Yes

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:37 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confidently predict they will all be within tolerance.

But Yes and Yes.

Also do not believe the numbers stamped on the shims except as a very rough guide.

Toilerances aside, it's not unusual to grind down an oversize shim thinner if you need a thinner one. I've done it myself, I'm considerate and grind the numbered face, others might not think that far ahead.

If you don't already own a micrometer, now is the time.

You'll probably want some silver paint for the rocker cover too. Plastikote radiator satin chrome works well and is a close match to the original.

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:08 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers stinkwheel for the Plastikote ref - I like the sound of that for my outer engine cases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:22 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I confidently predict they will all be within tolerance.

But Yes and Yes.

Also do not believe the numbers stamped on the shims except as a very rough guide.

Toilerances aside, it's not unusual to grind down an oversize shim thinner if you need a thinner one. I've done it myself, I'm considerate and grind the numbered face, others might not think that far ahead.

If you don't already own a micrometer, now is the time.

You'll probably want some silver paint for the rocker cover too. Plastikote radiator satin chrome works well and is a close match to the original.

I'd be very happy if they were within tolerances, but we shall see - at least a couple seemed out (though I can't be sure without a more comprehensive feeler gauge set) (its on 23K, so its due a check at the very least).

How did you know the valve cover would need a coat of paint? On an otherwise nice bike it was the first thing I noticed. Wire brush and Hammertite last weekend, it came out quite nicely, all things considered.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:06 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Stinkwheel, every. single. valve. out. of. spec. Brick Wall

Yaaaay public transport until the new ones are delivered.

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:17 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:
I can't be sure without a more comprehensive feeler gauge set)

How uncomprehensive are your feeler gauges? Never known a set that wasn't

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:24 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggyman wrote:
Falco wrote:
I can't be sure without a more comprehensive feeler gauge set)

How uncomprehensive are your feeler gauges? Never known a set that wasn't

Just a small set, realised yesterday that smaller feelers could be combined with larger ones to create feelers of the correct size Embarassed for £3.50 it's not a major screw up, plus I have much more varied set now. Might combine the 2 for a bike specific set.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:33 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:

How did you know the valve cover would need a coat of paint? On an otherwise nice bike it was the first thing I noticed. Wire brush and Hammertite last weekend, it came out quite nicely, all things considered.

They're all like that Mister. The paint on the rocker covers and engine casings on CB500s is an exercise in wishfull thinking.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 3 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1