Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ZZR600 worth a look as a first sportymoto?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:00 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: ZZR600 worth a look as a first sportymoto? Reply with quote

https://s1221.photobucket.com/user/BreakingPoint2/slideshow/Kawasaki%20Bikes%20for%20sale/Kawasaki%20ZZR%20600%20V243DSE

Whats the verdict? Snog, marry ir avoid?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:11 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're OK and have a very low and thick seat. It wallows a bit as the suspension isn't so good.

The major problem is people ask too much £££ for them.

On the bay somebody is selling a 2003 ZZR600 for £2300 or 1999 models for £1800.

Considering you can buy a better performing ZX6R B or C models for £1600+

Or a CBR600F4i for £1300-2000.

Both of which are sportier. Unless you can get them very cheap it's not worthy.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:54 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it looked a bit pricey but Breaking Point are likely just chancing their arm a bit.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:57 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

before I bought my rr I was looking at ZZrs. the size difference is quite amazing. the old ZZrs are huge in comparison to the newer bikes. Just something to think about

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:09 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im 6 foot+ so roomy is good.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:17 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bike has done 12 miles between June 2008 and April 2016. Confused

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

The speedo cables/speedo drives can be problematic on these. Then again it does look low milage.

At anything over a grand, definitely avoid! There's far too many good bikes available for little more.

I'd also suggest the ZZR1100D is the one to go for, rather than the 600, as prices are similar.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:18 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

And the MOT expires in 8 days.

It could be a garage queen, it certainly looks shiny enough.

Breaking Bikes wrote:
ZZR 600E

V Reg. very clean for age. Less than 7400 miles. Original pipes. just a good solid Jap 4 with a good bit of poke. Wolf on sheeps clothing. suprising turn of speed. will come with a full years MOT

£1599

If it's properly mint and you were sure you were going to keep it for years, maybe. It's not insane money for a dealer bike.

But no private buyer is going to give you that much for it if it doesn't suit. It's too expensive for a bargain, and too ZZR for an Appreciating Classic.

Irrespective of any Mate's MOT, I'd want to check the suspension for sadness, that the tyres aren't too-old-for-Robby, the chain for seized links, that the carbs aren't clogged or out of sync (I'd expect "Yeah, mate, just needs ridden.") and that the exhaust system and tank aren't rusting from the inside out.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 23:07 - 10 Apr 2017; edited 1 time in total

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Bike if you want to do lots of miles in comfort with the option to crank up the speed. Just don't expect it to handle like a modern super sport, you trade that ability for rider/pillion comfort and the ability to attach a metric fuck ton of luggage.

Wouldn't spend much more than a grand on one though and then I'd budget a couple of hundred on top for a YSS rear shock as the standard item was shite originally and will be wallowy as hell by now.

I wish I hadn't sold mine.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:51 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im thinking i want a sportsbike but not sure on practicality so maybe get a cheapish old 600ish and see how i feel before trading in the xj6 on something.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Im thinking i want a sportsbike

If you are wanting a proper sportsbike as opposed to a sport tourer then a scruffy GSXR 600 SRAD won't cost much more than a reasonable ZZR.

Examples -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-GSXR-600-SRAD-GENUINE-LOW-MILES-FULL-MOT-/152486406611?hash=item2380e5e9d3:g:vcMAAOSwA29Y487F

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1997-SUZUKI-GSXR-600-SRAD-CHEAPEST-ON-EBAY-/391728481426?hash=item5b34d64492:g:jGkAAOSwuxFY1kck

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-SUZUKI-GSXR-600-S-RAD-W-WHITE-BLUE-EXCELLENT-ALL-ROUND-CONDITION-/162458310468?hash=item25d3451744:g:hC4AAOSwhQhY4~NV

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
nifty looking bikes

Yeah they look more like it really. Bit thin on tje ground up here though. But i think ill keeo an eye out.

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got one. had it a few years now. I sold it at one point for a year, then contacted the owner to see if he'd sell it back to me. after some nagging, he agreed.

mine's a 1993 E1 model. it's had a grand total of 0 problems over the course of about 35k miles i've ridden it. changed the rear shock as they are a bit slack (and it was old) just because a mate found one with an uprated spring on it for me for a cheap price.

I'm 5'9 and it's probably the perfect size for me, I can flat foot it with knees bent. that said, a friend had one before me, he's 6'2 and also said it was comfiest bike he's had, so it's not small.

it is a big heavy bike, but it carries it's weight nice and low so it's easy to manoeuvre about on foot and at low speed, and it provides vast stability at high speeds.

it's a hugely versatile bike, and I'm not sure it's yet been matched for value/versatility by anything. as others have said, theyre cheap as chips. but razor sharp handling is really their only weakness, being softer and a little baggy, but that said, so long as you don't expect to go to a track day and keep up with the latest wrist-crushing sports machines, it's perfectly adequate on the road.

I'd recommend one to absolutely anyone who'll listen as I think it's a great bike. I'd like to replace it at some stage with something modern with fuel injection etc... but I'm not entirely sure what will do everything like my zzr does with the all day comfort I have and for bargain basement prices...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:11 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocatoro wrote:
it carries it's weight nice and low

Relative to what other 220kg sports/sports tourer bike?

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I love 'em to bits, despite the caveats already mentioned, it seems that CBR600's are now coming into the same bargain basement cost / speed equation. Of the two, the Honda does everything the z does with better handling, looks and build quality.
Each have their Achilles heels, especially with age and multiple owners, but on balance, I'd go looking for one of Mr. Honda's products.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:19 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Im thinking i want a sportsbike but not sure on practicality so maybe get a cheapish old 600ish and see how i feel before trading in the xj6 on something.

best advice I can give is go take a sportsbike out for a test ride, see how you feel. IMO they feel very different to a tourer.

if you're thinking about practicality then surely don't get a sportsbike? Very Happy

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:04 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjdugen wrote:
CBR600's are now coming into the same bargain basement cost / speed equation.

I'd tried one asking £900 last year, bit tired cosmetically but nothing wrong mechanically or dynamically. I'd have had it but it was a bit leany forwards and too quick for what I was looking for. Worth a try if you can find one in Ultima Thule.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love mine, had it about four years now and repaired it a couple of times following two incidents.

Good bikes, good all rounder but a bit heavy compared to modern machines.

Being a sports touring bike the riding position is more relaxed than, say a ZX6-R, I've used mine to commute for the past four years all year round without any issues, running michelin PR2 tyres which seem to do well. Gone through a few chains and sprockets and brake pads as you'd expect, and a couple of reg/recs but nothing much else of note.

they are old bikes so shocks sometimes are a bit saggy - mine was replaced with insurance money after I was rear-ended, just got to keep the shock linkage greased (4 grease nipples under it)

main thing when test riding is to find a good stretch of road and set off in 1st, get moving, change up into 2nd and accelerate hard

If it jumps out of gear, you don't want the bike. other than that it's just general mechanical stuff to look out for.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going to drop the zzr idea. My XJ6 will be paid off come june and i was going to trade in but ive decided to hold onto it as its cheap as chips to run and instead save up a couple of £k for a sport machine. Im going to look out for zx636r's they seem in good supply of any age.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Im going to drop the zzr idea. My XJ6 will be paid off come june and i was going to trade in but ive decided to hold onto it as its cheap as chips to run and instead save up a couple of £k for a sport machine. Im going to look out for zx636r's they seem in good supply of any age.

I'd agree that a ZX6R is the better option for the money, with the ZZR only beating it on comfort and wind protection.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:16 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comfort is subjective.

Some people find sports bike really uncomfortable to ride because of the leaning forward position and the amount of weight you're putting on your wrists.

Other people can ride quite happily for hundreds of miles in a day and then do it all again the next day with no complains.

Go to some dealers and sit on some bikes to find out what you do and don't like. Then bend over for them to sell you one on a PCP deal. Thumbs Up

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 13 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjdugen wrote:
Although I love 'em to bits, despite the caveats already mentioned, it seems that CBR600's are now coming into the same bargain basement cost / speed equation. Of the two, the Honda does everything the z does with better handling, looks and build quality.
Each have their Achilles heels, especially with age and multiple owners, but on balance, I'd go looking for one of Mr. Honda's products.

I'd agree with that, but found cbr was a little more sporty riding position, where zzr is more upright riding position making it more comfortable... if riding around all day in comfort is a priority. if you aren't that fussed or not prone to aches and pains then agree, the cbr might be better bet

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:31 - 13 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
ocatoro wrote:
it carries it's weight nice and low

Relative to what other 220kg sports/sports tourer bike?

compared totally subjectively with with similar bikes... 95 reg cbr, 90s thundercat, rf900, and a blackbird

just sitting on them and moving them about when off them, to me they felt more top heavy than the zzr which to me feels like it's all very low down and easy to move and ride.

as i said though, this is subjective and possibly to do with my leg length, height, all sorts of things

Last edited by ocatoro on 15:00 - 14 Apr 2017; edited 1 time in total

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 13 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Where have you seen them for that money? Any links to ones currently for sale?

I suppose it depends on just how much over £1600 you are talking about. Very unlikely you will find a decent B1 for anything near £1600 though. Nice ones are fetching around the £2.5k mark now.

You can pick up an A1P like mine for around £1700.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:59 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Itchy wrote:

Where have you seen them for that money? Any links to ones currently for sale?

I suppose it depends on just how much over £1600 you are talking about. Very unlikely you will find a decent B1 for anything near £1600 though. Nice ones are fetching around the £2.5k mark now.

You can pick up an A1P like mine for around £1700.

There was a champagne coloured one. He started it at £2850. He was insistent and every week moved it down £100. He finally put on 'bay for £1200 no reserve auction. It sold for £1800.

There is a 2005 one on gumtree for £2000.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 3 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1