Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Touring bike BMW. V Triumph

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tigerjon
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:58 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Touring bike BMW. V Triumph Reply with quote

Hello all,just found this forum and i must say its fantastic ,lots to read and plenty of photos.
Forgive my first post being one of looking for your opinions.
I am currently trying to decide to go for a Trophy or BMW rt1200 for a planned trip to france next august.
I currently have a tiger 1050 that i would never part with so the trophy is my preference but should i investigate more the beemer?
I havent tested either of the two bikes yet.
Any replies gratefully accepted,john. Very Happy

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:37 - 15 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Trophy. Launch edition with every toy available. I (used to) do a lot of touring and had every Goldwing from the old 1000 up to the 1800 including trikes before I went to Triumph.

I went to the Trophy after having an Explorer. I loved the engine but there wasn't enough wind protection on the Explorer for my taste.

I test rode the BMW's before getting the Trophy. I really am not a fan of twins and especially the boxer twins so I didn't really give them much of a chance.

The K1600 though I loved Thumbs Up . However with a price tag of £17000 with all the toys it was £5000 more than I paid for my Trophy and I couldn't begin to justify that.

I'm more than happy with my Trophy however I'm sure most BMW riders will say the same. It's a very personal thing.

I love having the sound system but the controls for it are crap/awkward. I love it that there are 4 power take offs and a USB connection for the stereo in the fairing glove box. I'm not so keen on the floating panniers but there is no speed restriction on them so they must do what they say it does.

The handling is exceptional for a big bike and you can hurry it along on the twistys reasonably well. I do not like the linked brakes, totally overcomplicated.

I think I really preferred the 1800 Goldwing for pure comfort on long distances but if you were on anything worse than good A roads it was much harder work.

So would I recommend the Trophy, yes with caveats. I have what I think is a good Triumph dealer within a few miles of me. I have no idea where the nearest BMW bike dealer is. If it was the other way round that would influence my decision. I like the engine on the Trophy but I love the BMW 6 and the Goldwing flat 6 engines.

I do like Triumphs though, they do have that funny thing called character. Thumbs Up

EDITED to say - The computer system is as intuitive as brain surgery. I still have to get the manual out every 6 months to remember how to change the clock time.

Or am I just getting senile!

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:29 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a particular model of BM boxer you fancy then test drive it at your normal touring speed to see if you find the vibes intrusive. I had to fit grip puppies onto mine to increase the bar grip diameter and cushion out the vibes.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 16 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest what's stopping you from just using the Tiger? The tiger is on my list as a possible tourer purchase.

Tigerjon
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:54 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies,something to go on at least.
I have toured a bit on my tiger and to be honest the standard shock is rubbish with two up and luggage,even with the useless side cases.
I prefer to use the tiger for one up riding and always fancied a big tourer anyhow.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 07:40 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why limit yourself to only 2 bikes?

Ever considered a Yamaha FJR1300? I've had mine for getting on for 6 years and it's been superb. Fast, powerful, comfortable, handles and will carry as much luggage as you want to load on it. It's also the most reliable bike I've ever owned. Nearly 50k miles and the only thing to ever fail was a headlight bulb at 30,000.
On top of all that the FJ FJR forum is a wealth of valuable info.

Definitely worth considering Wink

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:13 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
Why limit yourself to only 2 bikes?

Ever considered a Yamaha FJR1300? I've had mine for getting on for 6 years and it's been superb. Fast, powerful, comfortable, handles and will carry as much luggage as you want to load on it. It's also the most reliable bike I've ever owned. Nearly 50k miles and the only thing to ever fail was a headlight bulb at 30,000.
On top of all that the FJ FJR forum is a wealth of valuable info.

Definitely worth considering Wink

No sound system. It's a godsend to have music on long boring roads. But other than that Thumbs Up Excellent bike.

I also lurrve Wub the Kwack GTR1400. Wonderful engine It's much more in the sports tourer mode though, and not as comfy as full blown tourers.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
No sound system. It's a godsend to have music on long boring roads.

£30 BT Interphone Bluetooth system off ebay and a mobile phone sort that out.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:51 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
No sound system. It's a godsend to have music on long boring roads.

£30 BT Interphone Bluetooth system off ebay and a mobile phone sort that out.

Honestly, a dedicated sound system on a bike is the doggys dangles. I first got one on a 1200 Goldwing with a casette Laughing but the later ones with auto volume control (changes with road speed) really are superb. My 1800 Wing had speakers in the pillion arm rests so I didn't even have to turn it up for the pillion.

The Trophy one you can link your MP3 and control it from the handlebars. All without earplugs Thumbs Up

Yes it's an unnecessary toy that you don't need, but so is the electric screen, the tyre pressure monitoring, the heated seats, the cruise control, the suspension being adjustable while you are riding etc. etc. but I use them all at various times so the package justifies itself in my eyes. Thumbs Up

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:37 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All day, almost every day that I work, I hear music whether I want to or not. Getting away from it and many other mundane, day to day things and focusing 100% on riding the bike is what I look forward to. I would look on a built in sound system on a bike as a great big negative Laughing Laughing

Sorry for slight hijack Wink

Tigerjon
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:47 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem ,hijack away,it's good to talk.
I have tried the FJR ,but as we are slightly oversize people,it's too snug Shocked

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:02 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
All day, almost every day that I work, I hear music whether I want to or not. Getting away from it and many other mundane, day to day things and focusing 100% on riding the bike is what I look forward to. I would look on a built in sound system on a bike as a great big negative Laughing Laughing

Sorry for slight hijack Wink

It has an OFF button. Wink

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 17 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a Pan European?

I rode the 1100 but haven't ridden the later ones but a lot of people rate them very highly.

Or you could have a Harley Road Glide Ultra Neutral https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.b5OpbRforRqGBv2pEeRjTQEsDP&w=277&h=188&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.7

or even a Victory Cross Country Shocked https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.9KN9yJLcRG5PpdksqUBvNAEsC2&w=300&h=179&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.7

And wear a 'Sons of Anarchy' cutoff Thumbs Up

haggis
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:26 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: take what you already have Reply with quote

I'd go for the Tiger 1050. still got my UK one in australia. Love it, despite some small things that annoy. It can go anywhere and is fairly comfortable on long journeys.

Standard panniers are crap though Smile

https://youtu.be/f_2MBf-mwlA

Deaks
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:24 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for touring on the Tiger.

Took mine round Scandinavia for 6 weeks last year. I did invest in SW Motech Trax panniers though (double the volume for the same width).

If I had the money I would take to MCT and get a better shock. Its the only thing I wish the bike had.

p.s. - Oh shit, that you haggis? I've watched that film, was absolutely awesome Thumbs Up

Live to Ride. Ride to Feel Alive.

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:11 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

none of the above, I do my touring on a v4 Tuono with a Bluetooth head set for music and intercom. Albeit I don't take a pillion but for me its all I need at present to have a great time on any road that isn't a motorway/toll road, but who wants to spend time touring on a motorway anyway. each to their own and all

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't buy a new beemer if I needed something I could rely on to actually get me somewhere.

It's tempting not to believe the rumours of modern BMs faults, but my dad's experience with his K1300GT have been bad enough to put me off ever actually buying a 1300R like I've had my eyes on for a couple of years now.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:05 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I have a Trophy. Launch edition with every toy available. I (used to) do a lot of touring and had every Goldwing from the old 1000 up to the 1800 including trikes before I went to Triumph.

I went to the Trophy after having an Explorer. I loved the engine but there wasn't enough wind protection on the Explorer for my taste.

I test rode the BMW's before getting the Trophy. I really am not a fan of twins and especially the boxer twins so I didn't really give them much of a chance.

The K1600 though I loved Thumbs Up . However with a price tag of £17000 with all the toys it was £5000 more than I paid for my Trophy and I couldn't begin to justify that.

I'm more than happy with my Trophy however I'm sure most BMW riders will say the same. It's a very personal thing.

I love having the sound system but the controls for it are crap/awkward. I love it that there are 4 power take offs and a USB connection for the stereo in the fairing glove box. I'm not so keen on the floating panniers but there is no speed restriction on them so they must do what they say it does.

The handling is exceptional for a big bike and you can hurry it along on the twistys reasonably well. I do not like the linked brakes, totally overcomplicated.

I think I really preferred the 1800 Goldwing for pure comfort on long distances but if you were on anything worse than good A roads it was much harder work.

So would I recommend the Trophy, yes with caveats. I have what I think is a good Triumph dealer within a few miles of me. I have no idea where the nearest BMW bike dealer is. If it was the other way round that would influence my decision. I like the engine on the Trophy but I love the BMW 6 and the Goldwing flat 6 engines.

I do like Triumphs though, they do have that funny thing called character. Thumbs Up

EDITED to say - The computer system is as intuitive as brain surgery. I still have to get the manual out every 6 months to remember how to change the clock time.

Or am I just getting senile!

Great post Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 343 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1