Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

SRAD 600 Fairing Transplant

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Oateybeans
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:13 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: SRAD 600 Fairing Transplant Reply with quote

Now I don't mean to be a pain but I require some assistance!

Hello 'ello boys. Morning everyone! Or afternoon. Now, after digging my life away through internet forums in an attempt to see if you can so called 'restrict' one of these bad boys for an A2 License I've managed to find out that it's possible.

It's actually is possible it's just a grey area. Seeing as Suzuki never really gave a base on hp figures but insurance companies are still letting people insure them and ride them, even a few people getting pulled over and spoken too and then let go.

I was orignally going for a ZXR 400 but I'm 6"3' and I was told I'd probably be uncomfortable on one. I have quite a lot of experience riding bikes, a close buddy of mine has 3 Motocross tracks so I was brought up in that world but I now live in the country side in which there are out-stretches of dream roads about. There are tons of bikers that come down to my town and by tons I mean, hundreds. I once met about 122 bikers that came down from Denmark specifically to come down to the area.

I've had a lot of practice on back roads and main roads, not racing but getting my knee down just to have a good sunday thrashing as me and a couple bikers know what times the roads are dead. But anyway, before I get side tracked. I've seen exactly 2 guys riding SRAD-600's but with K6 GSXR fairings and such. I was in shock because I heard that was extremely hard to do.

I originally was going to get a ZXR 400 with track fairings and then turn it into a road legal bike. Or get an NC30 and buy the GP-T fairings for it. But the main issue is, the NC30 is expensive to buy, with £1,350 on the price of updated fairings. It'll put me in the hole a bit. ZXR's are usually thrashed but apparently I'd be comfortable on it after a while due to my height. So I was recommended an SRAD 600 again. I was only wondering if one was going to buy an SRAD-600 in order to do a K6 GSXR Fairing Swap, what would I exactly need.

I had a little 125 racebike that was the size of a 600 CBR, literally. But it was Chinese. It was absolutely lovely to ride, quick and sounded gorgeous but I've lost interest in it after I was involved in a crash because there was a guy trying to catch motorbikes with oil spills. I rebuilt it over a year and a car crashed into it on its own. Leaving me to just save up to continue doing my a2 license to buy a new bike.

The reason I want new fairings is because I like the thrill and the challenge of making something rarely seen, work. My dad has a love of bikes as he's still got his Honda 250 Superdream but he's just came out with his knee replacement so now he's got nothing to keep him occupied.

I was wondering if there's anyone out there who could help / guide me to what parts to get to make this work, as It would make me fall in love with a motorbike once more. And nobody would have any idea to what it originally was!

Last edited by Oateybeans on 14:13 - 18 Apr 2017; edited 2 times in total

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: SRAD 600 Fairing Transplant Reply with quote

Oateybeans wrote:
Wall Of Text

Fuck me. Ever heard of paragraphs?

Oateybeans
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:48 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: SRAD 600 Fairing Transplant Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
Oateybeans wrote:
Wall Of Text

Fuck me. Ever heard of paragraphs?

My apologies, I didn't even realize.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's better! Thumbs Up

Edit:

although a

Quote:
<tl:dr> What do I need to put K6 (K6 what? GSXR I guess?) fairings on a SRAD 600

might help. Very Happy

Oateybeans
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:14 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
That's better! Thumbs Up

Edit:

although a

Quote:
<tl:dr> What do I need to put K6 (K6 what? GSXR I guess?) fairings on a SRAD 600

might help. Very Happy

Oh god, I should've read through it, I was in a rush to pick up my trashed bike from my friends house.

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:36 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No paragraphs, didn't read.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:
No paragraphs, didn't read.

To be fair, he did sort that. Which enabled me to read it and discover that it still made no sense. He's getting there, though. Very Happy

groovylee
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read it as - want to restrict a bike i probably shouldn't, and because i dont think it looks racy enough, i want to put better fairings on it. which will draw attention to the bike. and probably land me in the shit with plod.

either way, just because an insurance company will let you do something, it doesn't mean it is 1. legal, or 2. a good idea.

just my Penny Coin Penny Coin

Current - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R & 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:39 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the 600 SRAD is legal to restrict. A K6 fairing won't fit, have you seen how wide the SRAD frame is vs the K6?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to look at alternatives from the same era. I've played with updating / improving quite a few of the ugly dumplings, SRAD's only marginally uglier than the original 'blade. I'll be willing to bet (a small amount) that, for instance, an R1 bodykit can be persuaded to fit.
My old carby 'blade has a 2005 fairing fitted, minimal Dremmelling. I also has an Aprilia RV1000 swinging arm, R1 front forks and a K3 1000 seat unit.... Just because I can!

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: SRAD 600 Fairing Transplant Reply with quote

Oateybeans wrote:
see if you can so called 'restrict' one of these bad boys for an A2 License I've managed to find out that it's possible.

No you have convinced yourself it's possible by telling yourself the 92HP figure MCN quote at the rear wheel is the same as "net engine power".

The SRAD is a fat little bugger I highly doubt you will get the front fairing off a K6 to fit. The tail unit you may have some joy bodging a later one on, K1/K2 tails on SRAD's are not uncommon.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:40 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to bear in mind that on this forum we've seen all the possible permutations of "I can't ride X bike but I can try to make an approximation by messing about with Y" I can't honestly say I've seen a situation where this has been successful.

Ride a bike that is legal for you. An SV650, ER6, TRX850 etc should all be OK for your size. An SRAD 600 is not comfortable or practical, and I think you'll find that you'll have to squash yourself like a pretzel to fit. It's not all about bike size it's about the relationship between the bars, pegs and seat.

I know this is not the answer you want to hear, but trust me I've seen this kind of thing so many times on this forum, and it never ends well. Forget the SRAD. I know they are cheap, but they aren't what you're looking for.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 2 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1