Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic : View next topic  

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Bubbs wrote:
I'll take a look at tidlers too. Avoided due to poor top end... although I'm happy with 60-65 mph, don't need more than that, just don't want the same experience as the YBR I used to own, boring as shit and didn't trust it to not low side with it's skinny wheels.

YBR's tyres are notorious.. it's not the width, its the rock-hard, never wear out budget economy compound of the OE fit originals!!

Narrow rubber, is actually a positive advantage, technically speaking.

The area of rubber in contact with the floor is irrelevent to the 'grip', which is pretty much dependent only on the force pushing the tyre

It's like alternative physics, which is a bit like physics, but the answers are different. It's demonstrably incorrect. The area in contact makes a huge difference to the level of mechanical grip

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my iPhone just shat itself with that wall of text.

I'm roaming in Spain. Can I bill Tef for my additional data charges?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:14 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Bubbs has to be held partially complicit. He knew the risks.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Monkey wrote:

It's like alternative physics, which is a bit like physics, but the answers are different. It's demonstrably incorrect. The area in contact makes a huge difference to the level of mechanical grip

Normally you can call it "free-thinking". But I think a line has to be drawn somewhere. I spose that line ought to be around the point that there's a potential risk to life.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:06 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Monkey wrote:
It's like alternative physics, which is a bit like physics

Oh, sure, "colonial" physics, shitlord. Tut Tut

Northern Monkey wrote:
The area in contact makes a huge difference to the level of mechanical grip

Pram-wheeled dragsters, their day will come.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite like the look of the 750 zephyr. Hmmm

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:49 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a tart, is what you are. Pick one and put your ring on it. Razz

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
You're a tart, is what you are. Pick one and put your ring on it. Razz

Ha ha, my ring is precious

Alawson68
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:26 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
Duke 390 is unfortunately out of my budget. £1.5k

Shame as I have the duke 390, more than enough power, very light, sips fuel like a hummingbird

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 03:53 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, Fazer 600 is what you want.

Cost? £1000-1800
Economical? Average 50mpg out of mine.
Tax? £60/year
Insurance? TPFT with 4yr NCD in Romford pikey central postcode - £150.
Fun? 95bhp. 120mph odd if you push it. It's a fav for many wheelie schools. And has brakes to keep up too with dual disc, blue spot 4 pot calipers straight off Fazer Thou/R6.
Commuter? Agile, tight turning circle, narrow and foldable mirrors - perfect for cutting through London traffic.
Touring? 2002-2003 models will do 230miles on full tank. Pillion seat is big, comfy, decent grab rail. Plenty of luggage options, though wing rack is bit hard to come by.
Maintenance/repairs? Parts are plentiful, even brand new painted fairing are only £200 direct from Yamaha!

I commute daily into London on mine, tear up Essex backroads at weekends, do two up, tours of Wales, track days - the Fazer is great at all.

Downsides? It's gonna be hit by the new London ULEZ in 2019. At this age, original downpipes would have rotted at bottom (~£250 for stainless replacements), back shock will be tired (Hagon replacement £300), forks seals/oils and brake should have been replaced. Also, original rear brake caliper is bit pants and often seizes up. FZS1000 blue spot caliper can be retrofitted though. No ABS. Awkward 110/70 front tyre limits choice somewhat.

Definitely a top all rounder. Most other choices will either be more money, less power, worse tank range or pants for pillion/touring.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:26 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPZ500S

Cheap to buy
Nice to ride
50mpg

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:38 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
GPZ500S
Nice to ride

Out of interest; compared to what?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:23 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's parked next to a Street Triple, which is great fun, but does 33mpg and is back breakingly stiff by comparison.

If the OP cares about MPG to the extent of this thread, he's either stupid, or does a lot of miles. For my 70 mile round trip commute, the GPZ wins because:

Fuel costs
Tyre costs
Disposeable bike (worth about 25% of what the triumph is and for minor damage I wouldnt feel compelled to fix it)
Small/low seat means I can get both feet flat which makes for more confidence in traffic
Still quick enough and chuckable enough to put a smile on my face in the way that a £600 commuter hack car would fail to.

Not saying its the be all and end all and certainly the fazer above sounds very promising, but its certainly a better bike for covering miles than any supermoto!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:37 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
B5234FT wrote:
GPZ500S
Nice to ride

Out of interest; compared to what?

Mmm. Soggy shocks, not actually that light.

That said, 60mpg+ is easily achievable, more if you granny it.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, the OP can easily get an Enfield in his budget, I love riding my Enfield, and yes it is fun riding, and returns a healthy mpg, however, probably not the sort of fun bike the OP is thinking about, but on the off chance it is ..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royal-Enfield-Bullet-500cc-Classic-Bike-500-/262941253312?hash=item3d38851ec0:g:PjkAAOSwmCVY9QbC

or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royal-Enfield-Bullet-350-Trials-bike-/162480086880?hash=item25d4915f60:g:ny0AAOSwRUhY9jxN

Why not look at a Honley (Zhongshen) RX-3

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honley-RX-3-Venturer-Adventure-Bike-/282432696845?hash=item41c24cf20d:g:NSQAAOSwB-1Y7-K8

or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honley-Motor-RX3-250cc-Adventure-Cruiser-Commuter-Motorcycle-/162420686567?hash=item25d106fee7:g:g-cAAOSw4CFYvUQQ

It will keep up with motorway traffic, is nimble, granted it has a very optimistic speedo, I ride mine in any weather, and as yet haven't had a problems, and, although the luggage boxes are quite small, you'd be surprised just how much shopping you can fit in them !!

There is also the WK Trail 400 (Shineray X5) has the same engine as the Mash 400 that I have, nice reliable engine, but, personal choice, I would probably stick with the Zhongshen for this style of bike, if, of course you can't stretch to a CB500X

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:40 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
To be fair, the OP can easily get an Enfield in his budget

I'd been avoiding suggesting it, but they do tick the high mpg and leafy-lane-larks boxes.

However, Bubb's budget is ideally under £1500 and they don't often come down that low in working form.

Worth considering though, if one comes up cheaply enough.

linuxyeti wrote:
Why not look at a Honley (Zhongshen) RX-3

Because you can get an Inazuma 250 for about the same money, there are only about 50 RX-3s in the country, it'll be more of a risk ("our parts team will contact you in due course with price and availability of what you require") and might prove hard to sell on for more than sweetie money.

groovylee
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
nowhere.elysium wrote:

Um, bollocks. I drive a 2004 2 litre diesel avensis, and average 60mpg. Cost me 750 quid.

No idea how you do that. My 1.3 Corsa CDTi does 55mpg. Mostly urban.

w reg 1.9 tdi octavia - 60mpg. £500 Mr. Green

Current - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R & 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Because you can get an Inazuma 250 for about the same money, there are only about 50 RX-3s in the country, it'll be more of a risk ("our parts team will contact you in due course with price and availability of what you require") and might prove hard to sell on for more than sweetie money.

Perhaps a valid point to degree, however, Honley are still selling them, they even have the latest spec ones in stock, but to be fair, parts are a doddle to get hold of, the mesh reuseable oil filters etc being a good example, for stuff like that, you may just need to be a little less narrow minded as to where you order from..

The only thing Suzuki about the inazuma is the badge, it's actually a Haojue manufactured bike !! Still, I see they've announced the GSX250R with ABS .., Anyhow, going off topic, and that's likely to be outside the OP price range

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:23 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Honley are still selling them

Well, offering them for sale.

Granted, there's only a whisker over 1000 Inazumas in the UK and they're not being sold any longer, but if the RX-3 ever hits 1/10th of that number, I'll eat my lid.

linuxyeti wrote:
parts are a doddle to get hold of

Today. The thing about parts is that you need them when you need them. Having had two Chinese bikes and an Indian one, ongoing parts availability remains a concern of mine.

linuxyeti wrote:
The only thing Suzuki about the inazuma is the badge

That's all that's needed to find a buyer though.

I like the idea of the RX-3, it's the sort of bike I might take a punt on myself. But as a 2nd or 3rd machine, not as an only choice at the limit of my budget.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who the fuck are Honely?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Honley ..

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=honley+motorcycles

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find my Honda Grom fun so long as i accept it for what it is and it gets me an average of 140 mpg so a full tank of fuel before reserve lasts about 125 miles. (worst mpg was 115mpg and best was 158mpg)

my 97 GSXR 750 SRAD gives much fun but the mpg is like about 35mpg (best so far has been 55mpg)

all depends on what you class as fun which is entirely based on your perception.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

I read as far as Chinese motorcycle manufacturer.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:

That's ok, one step at a time, don't have to read everything in 1 go, you have a rest ... Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:35 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:

You're a product of the Welsh education system, it's a wonder you got that far in a foreign language.

The bikes are probably as good as anything coming out of "Japan" or "Europe" these days (i.e. China), the problem is the risk of a self sealing stem bolt unsealing and being unable to find a replacement anywhere, then the bike being worth its weight in ... well, monkey steel.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 343 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4