Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NC700 vs NC750

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

biker420
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:05 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: NC700 vs NC750 Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have recently passed my full test and now looking for me first big bike. For this I have done a few other posts as well which have helped me to narrow my search down to NC700 vs NC750 DCT(automatic) bike.

I would prefer to go for an S model instead of an X as I am only 5'9'' and S models are lower but it seems like S are much less in the market than X.

I spoke to a Honda dealer and he told me to go for a 750 instead of a 700 as there is more demand for these bikes and they are also more powerful. However when I search around on auto trader 700's seem to be about a £1000 cheaper than 750's and more within my budget.

So before I go for a NC700 for e.g. I wanted to get your views on the sanity of my decision as well please? Any input would be much appreciated?

Many Thanks,

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an nc750x. It was duller than a dull thing

biker420
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:17 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Monkey wrote:

Was it DCT?

Are you complaining about dull because of lack of power?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:19 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NC - no character.

What is your reasoning for one, it's like... Shit.

Might fit your needs, if your needs are to sleep on the way to work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:23 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a cost effective commuter, fine.

If you want a fun motorbike for anything other than cheap commuting, not fine.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:53 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a test ride on a 700x manual when they first came out and really enjoyed it. It's not a sports bike, it's an all rounder and does the job fine.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend has a 700X (DCT). He is selling it. He did plenty of miles all over the country in all weather and reckoned it was a great tool for that job.

Personally I think it's the Antichrist of motorbikes. You may as well buy a (really shit) car.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:07 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: NC700 vs NC750 Reply with quote

biker420 wrote:
NC700 vs NC750 DCT(automatic) bike.

Since you're linking to a non-DCT 700, I assume the auto-box isn't a deal breaker.

I'd question the merit of dropping (realistically) £3500 on a 5 year old bike. It's neither new, nor a bargain. You're not even getting the, er, "peace of mind" from buying from a dealer.

Just for an example, this dealer ER6n is 3 years newer and under half the miles. OK, no luggage or screen, but it's asking £250 less.

Economy-wise, if you change up at the 6500rpm (jesus wept) limit of the NC it would doubtless get pretty close to the NC's 70+ mpg. But it would give you the option to not have to do so.

I see an easy 65mpg out of my Nazi Tractor on a stop-start commute, so the 70-something of the NC isn't that amazing. I get 70+ from my Ninja 250 with more grins per mile, and my Enfield will push into the 80s. They're all the same speed in a commute though traffic anyway.

The NC is a bike that I'd really struggle to find reasons to want to buy.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 21:08 - 20 Apr 2017; edited 1 time in total

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uselessly underpowered on the open road. A complete snoozefest.

Do not want Thumbs Down

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker420 wrote:
Northern Monkey wrote:

Was it DCT?

Are you complaining about dull because of lack of power?

Other bikes have included a Royal enfield and a Grom, both have less power than the NC750X, but both were much more interesting.

It was just uninteresting in every way. Like the John Major of bikes

biker420
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:31 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: NC700 vs NC750 Reply with quote

[quote="Rogerborg"]
biker420 wrote:
NC700 vs NC750 DCT(automatic) bike.

Since you're linking to a non-DCT 700, I assume the auto-box isn't a deal breaker.

The main reason I am after an NC is because of DCT. I think this advert is for a DCT as I could not spot the clutch lever in the pictures. But if it isnt auto then I probably wouldnt buy it. Just used as an example.

To get an idea what would you pay for this bike?

I have thought about it long and hard I cannot imagine happily using the clutch in london traffic day in day out. I have considered maxi scooters as well but cant really bring myself to buying one of those either ...

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of mates - a senior, tbh - has the manual 750x. I never understood why he didn't get the S. He says because the seat height is taller so therefore the bike's comfier. But I said is that really the most useful measurement - seat to ground? Isn't seat to peg the one that actually counts, given you'll be spending 99% of the time on the bike in the position where your feet are on the pegs and your arse is on the seat (assuming we're talking about riders who can flat foot on both S *and* X)? So I said what's the difference in seat to peg measurements between the S and the X? But it seems nobody knows. In any case, from a looks pov I much prefer the S. I also suspect the seat to peg measurements are the same and that the X merely has longer travel suspension.

As for the bike itself, well, it's one of very few that has a an under-square, long-stroke engine - so power is right there, effortless and very accessible. Sure there's not much of it - but there's enough to make steady progress. Dummy tank means fuel's carried low, contributing to centralisation of mass and low centre of gravity BLAH BLAH BLAH. But jargon aside, this does make the bike easier to chuck around, and helps to counteract some of the numbness and sense of riding at one remove from reality.

Not really my kind of bike, admittedly. In this bracket I think I'd much prefer the MT07. That seems loads friskier - but if such eagerness isn't to sir's liking, try the 07 Tracer. I don't get why that isn't clearly a better bike than the NC. Finish? Eh. Bro.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take into account that most of the people in this thread haven't ridden one and don't really understand it's usage. It's a commuter and it does it very well.

Northern Monkey has owned one but I'd have my doubts about the opinion of anyone that bought one on finance without knowing what they were buying. Laughing

There's a 2012 X DCT going on the NC forums for £3900 with quite a few extras on it, including uprated suspension. PM me if you want the link.

The bike isn't for everyone, make sure you know what you're buying and what to expect from it. The X is easy to chuck around, weight is low down.

For the record I had the loan of a DCT model while mine was in for servicing and I hated it.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: NC700 vs NC750 Reply with quote

biker420 wrote:
I have thought about it long and hard I cannot imagine happily using the clutch in london traffic day in day out. ...

Using a clutch/manual box will very very quickly become second nature.
I assume you also have a car. Also assuming you've driven a few different cars then you'll understand when I say that not all bikes have the same clutch feel/need the same pressure.

I know some people (all female of course) that will only drive an automatic car.
That's not to say that there's actually much wrong with an auto car, but auto bikes are a very different animal.
It's quite an integral part of controlling a bike, which is why there's a feeling that the throttle isn't directly connected to the wheels on many scooters, although I hear the DCT isn't as bad.
IMO

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:49 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like you've made your mind up, why ask for advice afterwards?
Nc a good commuter..go buy.
Cb500f beats it all day long....go try

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:00 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Take into account that most of the people in this thread haven't ridden one and don't really understand it's usage. It's a commuter and it does it very well.

Northern Monkey has owned one but I'd have my doubts about the opinion of anyone that bought one on finance without knowing what they were buying. Laughing

There's a 2012 X DCT going on the NC forums for £3900 with quite a few extras on it, including uprated suspension. PM me if you want the link.

The bike isn't for everyone, make sure you know what you're buying and what to expect from it. The X is easy to chuck around, weight is low down.

For the record I had the loan of a DCT model while mine was in for servicing and I hated it.

Not wanting to come across as condescending, but what bike experience have you got other than the CBF125 and the NC mentioned in your sig?

I ask as an NC will likely feel fabulous versus a 125, so in isolation it probably doesn't feel dull. An NC versus something like an ER6f or Fazer though? I'm not so sure it would compare so well.

Moot point anyway, as the OP seems settled on an automatic.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:40 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:

Not wanting to come across as condescending, but what bike experience have you got other than the CBF125 and the NC mentioned in your sig?

I ask as an NC will likely feel fabulous versus a 125, so in isolation it probably doesn't feel dull. An NC versus something like an ER6f or Fazer though? I'm not so sure it would compare so well.

I did my tests on an ER6N, it was ok but I didn't want one at the end. I had a CB1300 out for a few days, I liked it (a lot) but given the ages of available stock I decided not to. I still like it, would have a new one (2012 seems to be when we stopped getting them in the UK). The Africa Twin was ok, seemed like a pumped up NC to be honest, although suspension was way better.

Obviously I've test ridden a load of bikes, I'm looking to change or add another bike but none of them have grabbed me and none of them seemed 'exciting' through normal use.

The NC suits my purpose, almost too well. I've said it before but I could do my commute on a 125 but I'd be at its limit (plus fat clown on a tiny bike) - there'd be nothing left for me to be able to overtake slower traffic. The places where overtaking can be done on my route are limited and needing 2 minutes to get past something isn't going to work. The NC copes with it with no trouble at all. I don't use it primarily for entertainment, I use it as a tool that cuts my journey time in half vs the car. For such a "slow", "boring" bike it somehow manages to be faster on the commute than most of the riders I pass on "exciting", "fast" bikes.

It can be fun on the twisty back roads too, think of it as filling the role of a 125 but bigger. I've done ~24k miles on it which I think qualified as experienced with it. If people have an issue short shifting then buy a litre bike, never take it out of 1st.

what was the question again? Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:40 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
don't really understand it's usage

Do you like any bands that we probably haven't even heard of?

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: NC700 vs NC750 Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
biker420 wrote:
I have thought about it long and hard I cannot imagine happily using the clutch in london traffic day in day out. ...

Using a clutch/manual box will very very quickly become second nature.

Yes, but OP makes a valid point about the clutch and London traffic. The constant stop/start nature of proper central London riding can can get tiresome and cramp inducing on the left hand. If I lived in London, and only rode or commuted in London, I would probably have a twist & go like a Burgman myself for that. Nothing wrong with a manual bike in that environment but there are easier options.

biker420
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:38 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far got quite a bit of useful info ... nd thx for that Smile

My original question was actually comparison of NC700 vs NC750 please?

Cheers

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:29 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're asking if it's worth paying £1K more for the 750, then I can't see that it is just to get marginally more performance.

Particularly so as you can press on at full whack on either bike and the DCT will save you from the infuriatingly low rev limit.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker420 wrote:

Cheers

they're both as shit as each other, get whichever one you want.

cheers Thumbs Up

biker420
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:58 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
biker420 wrote:

Cheers

they're both as shit as each other, get whichever one you want.

cheers Thumbs Up

ouch!!!

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What have dealers and private sellers said to you about test rides? Have you enquired? There is no substitute for riding the thing, even if it's only 5 minutes around the industrial estate. If the 750 is worth £1k - £1.5k more than the 700, you can then decide if it's worth it just for commuting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:32 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Bozzy wrote:

lots of informative stuff

Thanks for the insight Thumbs Up

It sounds like an NC is a good tool for commuting and I guess somewhat cooler than a maxi scooter. I guess if one were buying a bike solely to commute then it certainly should be considered.

Oh, and the answer to your "what bike?" quandry is Street Triple Laughing

Anyway..back on topic!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 343 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2