Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

MrCawdell
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:50 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Polarbear"]
MrCawdell wrote:

Out of sight is out of mind. Garage, shed, cover, round the back of the house, bedroom with a ground anchor. Anywhere the thieving little scrotes in MK (and there are plenty) will have trouble getting to or getting the bike from.

Thanks PolarBear.

Is this from experience or assumption? I like to think i'm in a reasonably nice patch! If experience, would be keen to hear from MK locals on wheres good to go and practice!

Good news on the insurance, i'll just throw the biggest chain i can on it and keep it lockedup.

Last edited by MrCawdell on 15:05 - 18 Apr 2017; edited 1 time in total

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:53 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit 650 is a decent enough choice. I find them top heavy, some people call that 'solid'.

Security is a lottery. When I got my BMW I added a "sold secure gold" Almax Series IV chain and Squire lock to the quote (about as good as you're getting) and the cheapest comparison site quote went up - yes up - by 1/3rd. The nearest I can figure was that adding security got the quote bumped to a panel of underwriters that cover more risky quotes.

So I'd urge you not to make any assumptions when you're ready to buy. Get on www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk or similar with a private browsing session (i.e. no stored cookies) and try out a variety of bikes, mileage, cover (don't assume that fully comp will be more expensive) and security and see what's what.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:56 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
bedroom with a ground anchor.

if I could get mine up the stairs I would 100% do this Very Happy

MrCawdell
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:08 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Bandit 650 is a decent enough choice. I find them top heavy, some people call that 'solid'.

Security is a lottery. When I got my BMW I added a "sold secure gold" Almax Series IV chain and Squire lock to the quote (about as good as you're getting) and the cheapest comparison site quote went up - yes up - by 1/3rd. The nearest I can figure was that adding security got the quote bumped to a panel of underwriters that cover more risky quotes.

So I'd urge you not to make any assumptions when you're ready to buy. Get on www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk or similar with a private browsing session (i.e. no stored cookies) and try out a variety of bikes, mileage, cover (don't assume that fully comp will be more expensive) and security and see what's what.

Crazy. I just dont get how they work it out! So far ive only done quotes with a chain and thats all and coming up around a few hundred quid which isnt too bad.

But great shout on the inprivate, get the quotes in and see which bikes best on insurance etc. I've noticed a 250 Ninja is more than a 650 ER6 Kawasaki!

Ash,

I'm in a top floor maisonette or i'd have the damn thing inside too! I dont think riding down a flight of stairs is considered clever nowadays Rolling Eyes

Barker-CBR 600
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:13 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCawdell wrote:

Is this from experience or assumption? I like to think i'm in a reasonably nice patch! If experience, would be keen to hear from MK locals on wheres good to go and practice!

Good news on the insurance, i'll just throw the biggest chain i can on it and keep it lockedup.

I am from MK (village outside now) and it's a great place to learn because dual carriageways and roundabouts are easy!

Terms of where to go to practise - I have literally just walked in from doing a Woburn / Brickhills / Heath and Reach / Leighton Bypass and back through Bow Brickhill Woburn Sands Ashley Guise run - great mix of tiny country roads, some big straight and twisty B's and a whopping great bypass for some extra wrist twist!! Beware of Deer though!

North of MK too in the villages towards towcester are some cracking little rides and can hop back on the A5 if you get bored of turning. .

Terms of security I completely agree the best security is no one knowing it's there. Scrotes would go to a nice area if looking for nicer bikes same way they would go to a scrotey area they know well... if they don't know a bike is there they aren't likely to poke around. Other than that a whopping chain tied to something that won't move means that you discourage most opportunists.

I also don't declare anything but stock fitted (Bandit had Meta 357T) because I agree it's simply another thing to claim you did wrong. My bike is in a purpose built covered workshop type area but because it isn't a 'garage' I have to claim it's on the driveway...

Also I had a Bandit 650 K7 till a week ago and loved it. Quite confidence inspiring and 'solid' but you run the risk of it not being an extreme enough to be fun... then again it's a massively personal thing!

Good luck with it all and see you about!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:31 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCawdell wrote:

Thanks PolarBear.

My daughter had her SR125 stolen from outside a friends house on Beanhill. Purely opportunistic as she was only there half hour. The cunts couldn't start it so the cut the fuel line and torched it. Evil or Very Mad

Which brings me to another story concerning the police official recoverer, CMG. Just don't get involved with those thieving twats. Charged to pick up her burnt out bike, charged per day to keep it and charged for disposal of the burnt out remains because I had no way of picking it up. SCUM.

MrCawdell
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:22 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barker-CBR 600 wrote:
MrCawdell wrote:

I am from MK (village outside now) and it's a great place to learn because dual carriageways and roundabouts are easy!

Terms of where to go to practise - I have literally just walked in from doing a Woburn / Brickhills / Heath and Reach / Leighton Bypass and back through Bow Brickhill Woburn Sands Ashley Guise run - great mix of tiny country roads, some big straight and twisty B's and a whopping great bypass for some extra wrist twist!! Beware of Deer though!

North of MK too in the villages towards towcester are some cracking little rides and can hop back on the A5 if you get bored of turning. .

Terms of security I completely agree the best security is no one knowing it's there. Scrotes would go to a nice area if looking for nicer bikes same way they would go to a scrotey area they know well... if they don't know a bike is there they aren't likely to poke around. Other than that a whopping chain tied to something that won't move means that you discourage most opportunists.

I also don't declare anything but stock fitted (Bandit had Meta 357T) because I agree it's simply another thing to claim you did wrong. My bike is in a purpose built covered workshop type area but because it isn't a 'garage' I have to claim it's on the driveway...

Also I had a Bandit 650 K7 till a week ago and loved it. Quite confidence inspiring and 'solid' but you run the risk of it not being an extreme enough to be fun... then again it's a massively personal thing!

Good luck with it all and see you about!

Nice to see someone local on here! Thanks for the routes, thinking about it I love throwing my car round there so its a great shout for the bike. I think I may be getting ahead of myself, i havent even done my CBT Shocked Haha.

Polarbear;

Sorry to hear that. I agree you find the fudgers everywhere but touch wood i'll be able to deter them with my setup. Cant even fathom going to get on the bike to find out its not there!

SBDJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:26 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barker-CBR 600 wrote:
a whopping great bypass for some extra wrist twist!! Beware of Deer though!

Also beware of camera vans on that bypass dc, bikes aren't immune Very Happy

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:01 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Charged to pick up her burnt out bike, charged per day to keep it and charged for disposal of the burnt out remains because I had no way of picking it up. SCUM.

I trust that you either ignored them or invited them to do one, and to send the bill to the person responsible for leaving it where they picked it up (i.e. the thief)?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:04 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Charged to pick up her burnt out bike, charged per day to keep it and charged for disposal of the burnt out remains because I had no way of picking it up. SCUM.

I trust that you either ignored them or invited them to do one, and to send the bill to the person responsible for leaving it where they picked it up (i.e. the thief)?

Sadly that was well before I was enlightened by the BCF illuminati on my rights as to those nasty little shits.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCawdell wrote:
But great shout on the inprivate, get the quotes in and see which bikes best on insurance etc. I've noticed a 250 Ninja is more than a 650 ER6 Kawasaki!

Insurance-wise (that must be an oxy-moron), the difference between riding a 125 on a CBT and a 650 on a full licence is that you need to pass a test, whereas CBT is just 'training'.
The difference between a 250 Ninja and an ER6 is that one's more likely to be nicked, plus the ninja is quite a small bike, so a little less road presence = a little more likely to be victim of a SMIDSY.

As for which bike when you've passed, go to a dealer and sit on loads of bikes to decide what style suits.
Personally I like the 'dual-sport/adventure' style as I find the upright seating position much more comfortable than a forward lean position.
On top of this I'm a 'potterer' rather than a racer, and like being able to see over cars/hedges etc.
The likelihood is that your first big bike will be wrong. Not necessarily in a major way, but until you've had a big bike you won't know exactly what qualities you want/need from one.
So buy one that won't lose you loads if you sell in a year to get the next better bike... Laughing

Also don't spend big on your first big bike or get one with vulnerable plastics, as you are very likely to drop it whilst moving it around (as opposed to sliding it down the road).
A few people never do but most of us have done it, and some of us quite often. Embarassed

All IMO!.

B Button
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:41 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCawdell wrote:

But i've been having a little look at 600-700s and found a few which peak my interest. Once i've passed i'll start narrowing it down a bit. The 650 Bandit K5 is looking nice though Rolling Eyes ?

I went for a 650 Bandit 3 months ago after graduation, going by advice here and elsewhere. There are plenty around second hand and it's a lot of bike for around $2k so won't break your heart when you drop it - as you will. Wiser heads say it will become boring but it's still giving me lots of grins. My only issue is that it is surprising heavy, especially if like me you have a 20 metre rearwards push to get it out of the garage. But, once rolling it is a lot more stable than the old 125.

MrCawdell
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:26 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
MrCawdell wrote:

Insurance-wise (that must be an oxy-moron), the difference between riding a 125 on a CBT and a 650 on a full licence is that you need to pass a test, whereas CBT is just 'training'.
The difference between a 250 Ninja and an ER6 is that one's more likely to be nicked, plus the ninja is quite a small bike, so a little less road presence = a little more likely to be victim of a SMIDSY.

As for which bike when you've passed, go to a dealer and sit on loads of bikes to decide what style suits.
Personally I like the 'dual-sport/adventure' style as I find the upright seating position much more comfortable than a forward lean position.
On top of this I'm a 'potterer' rather than a racer, and like being able to see over cars/hedges etc.
The likelihood is that your first big bike will be wrong. Not necessarily in a major way, but until you've had a big bike you won't know exactly what qualities you want/need from one.
So buy one that won't lose you loads if you sell in a year to get the next better bike... Laughing

Also don't spend big on your first big bike or get one with vulnerable plastics, as you are very likely to drop it whilst moving it around (as opposed to sliding it down the road).
A few people never do but most of us have done it, and some of us quite often. Embarassed

All IMO!.

Appreciate this!

I'm going to wait and see how I feel on the bikes on my test and like you say, go and try a few that will help me decide what style is for me. i LOVE the look of sports bikes but I cant imagine theyre too comfortable!

I'm sure ill be a potterer for a while until I grow some balls Rolling Eyes But I agree, I will drop it. I AM clumsy and have no doubt I will. Thats why im looking for something older, get into it, grow, and then adopt a bigger bike when i'm ready. Play it safe!

B Button;

I like to think the sheer excitement of owning a bike will outlast 3 months. I don't have the kind of disposable income to keep buying bigger so I hope not anyway! I will have to push it up a small uphill driveway so maybe something heavy isnt ideal. But i'll figure it out once I get out and about on one!

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:53 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get cbt, buy 125, see if it gets nicked. Whilst waiting for theft, do theory test and get on a das course.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2