Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insurance - Yes more woes or laughs, depending...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:02 - 02 May 2016    Post subject: Insurance - Yes more woes or laughs, depending... Reply with quote

Mrs Bear decided she wants her bike back on the road after a year off. Her last insurance was with Hastings Direct and about £90 FC.

So she goes on a comparison site and puts in all the gubbins. Bike Insure (I think that was it) was cheapest at £77. Hastings came in at £86 so she decides to phone Hastings and try to negotiate.

After confirming that her details were the same as before, same bike and everything, they quoted her ...... Dance! Dance! Police £280.

They wouldn't even knowledge and match the on line quote saying it was because she had a year off riding. Now is this pure attempted profiteering or what!

Needless to say she went with the other firm.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:50 - 02 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are they saying that if she'd bought online that they'd have knocked it back because of some secret "had a year off" clause? Brick Wall

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:41 - 02 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea mate, it's all double dutch to me. Told her just go with the cheapest, she isn't going to claim unless it's a non fasult anyway.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 02 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hastings Direct? WTF. Y U NO STOP HER

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 02 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Hastings Direct? WTF. Y U NO STOP HER

I'm with Hastings for my CB500, I phoned to enquire how much to insure my CG on the same TPO policy, in the same area.
Their reply was akin to "Computer says NO"
No explanation why a I am suddenly more of a danger on my 125 than a 500, just we don't want to insure that. Rolling Eyes

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 02 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought we'd established that Hastings Direct were scum after this https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=235369 ..

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 02 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
I thought we'd established that Hastings Direct were scum after this https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=235369 ..

Had not seen that thread, cheers. Thumbs Up
However I just assumed all insurance companies are worthless.
I've yet to find a company that nobody at all has a horrible story about, so its a minefield. Sad

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Mudshark
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:29 - 03 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

aw shit I'm with Hastings

just had to do the yearly auto renewal dance
renewal quote
what I get online on your site
ok we'll adjust renewal quote

to be fair they were even cheaper after the call than the online quote, so I assume they just make it up, it's the same with the car.

Hefty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:43 - 03 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hefty wrote:
Polarbear (in udder thread bout insurance willydribbles) wrote:
Or am I being a bit too cynical.

Thread title contains an insurance company, so i'd say no you're not Thumbs Up

Whistle

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 03 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:

I think we have established they are all as bad as each other when it comes to a claim.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:07 - 03 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I love Hastings Direct especially the bit where they denied I had insurance with them after I got knocked off. I ended up having to find my way to work with a knackard knee and a broken hand to dig out the details, where upon they continued to deny it for the next few hours. I ended having to go through to the complaints centre to get them to deal with it before I could even put in my claim.

Took over 5 hours to get it logged and then then would not pick up the bike without me there.

My advice if you do go with them is to phone them up to make sure you are on their system and the numbers they have given you to use in even of needing to claim are correct, mine were not.

Oh and why the f$ck they are called Hastings "direct" is anyone's guess as they have not directly dealt with me ever every thing is farmed out to some two bit companies.

But I guess they are all as bad as each other. Sad
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 351 days between these two posts...

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:27 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most recent thread on Hastings Direct so I'm bumping this one; news is not worthy of a whole new thread dedicated to these suckers.

So I bought a new bike yesterday and, therefore, it needed insurance. Ran the quotes - Hastings came out a good head and shoulders above the rest and as a result of that I decided hey ho, I'd take the gamble as it isn't a large amount of money we're talking about overall, and the differential to the first 'decent' company was circa £100. Risk versus Reward said it was worth the punt.

Anyway, so yesterday around 13:30 I ran new quotes for the bike online via 'insert bike related comparison website here'. After picking Hastings the comparison site transferred me through to the main Hastings site. After correcting all the stuff that had pulled through wrong (quite a bit actually, so I was glad I checked as I wonder what they would have charged me to mid term adjust it) and clicking through the endless bolt-on covers they repeatedly try to sell you that aren't worth the paper they're written on, I take the policy out. I then get a screen to provide 'log in' details on, which I don't have any log in details so I put in what I'd like my log in details to be and it takes them and doesn't say anything as it goes through with the payment.

Some emails in my inbox later and I've got a receipt. Some later and I've got a welcome pack. Some more still and I've got a register here click-box which I think well I've already registered so I put my details in and get into the constant loop of 'account already exists' when clearly it doesn't. Meh, solve that and forward we go to log in - got some documentation and printed it off.

Good job I did the print run, as the bike didn't go onto the MID on the day cover incepted; still never mind, I only had a 60 mile run across two of the most ANPR'd counties in the country, with a stint on each of the 3 major motorways running through them Laughing

Luckily no tug as a result, but hey - I was looking forward to a good batoning; fancied some big brutish copper to start calling me Rodney King as he laid into me.

Anyway fast forward to today, and they've now contacted me by text message despite explicit instructions not to do so. Never mind; surely if they've got the time to drop me text messages for stuff then they've updated MID?

Nope Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
After picking Hastings the comparison site transferred me through to the main Hastings site.

Nooo! Brick Wall

That's not Nooo! about Hastings (who sad to say I'm insured with too), but Nooo! for letting the comparison site have your commission.
Should've gone to SpecSavers TopCashback - would have got you £16/£32 back for doing absolutely nothing: see https://www.topcashback.co.uk/hastings-direct-motorbike-insurance/

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a bit of a lack of time, and a lot of lazyitis, so it was what it was TBH mate. Cheers for the tip, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:14 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it normally takes a while for it to show up on MID (even though it falls off straight away)?

I don't mind comparison sites getting their commission apart from when it goes to James Corden Crying or Very sad

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:26 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I thought it normally takes a while for it to show up on MID (even though it falls off straight away)?

I don't mind comparison sites getting their commission apart from when it goes to James Corden Crying or Very sad

MID is updated daily according the local rogers when i asked them a while back, its up to the insurers to put you on the list that gets added in though.

it took H&R 4 days to put me on.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:38 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
they've now contacted me by text message despite explicit instructions not to do so.

So a complain email with harassment warnings, any further text messages will be considered harassment, bill them for your time 2x the policy price. Profit like a gent.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of harassment, Admiral have been calling me everyday (sometimes multiple times) for the last month trying to sell me extras. I think they've got the message now Laughing

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loui5D wrote:
it took H&R 4 days to put me on.

It took the monkeys at Bennetts 3 days to do mine.

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MID updates overnight but obviously relies on the insurer system to feed the MID before it will show. The legal requirement for single vehicle policies is for 95% of policies on the MID within 7 days of inception, multi vehicle policies its 14 days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad i'm with Hastings on my FZ6, £80 didn't realise they were shits, didn't have problems with the setup though

however...was going to use them for the GPZ but had a question that needed answering for soph as named rider and just couldn't get through at all. Went with a company who's quote on comparison site was a bit more (however when i updated the details on the insurance site to make sure they were correct it was actually less than hastings).

end of the day though, all insurance companies are right shits

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:37 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinigami wrote:

And that makes me a saaaaaaad paanda Sad

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

...except for arry insurance Wub

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:13 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Shinigami wrote:

And that makes me a saaaaaaad paanda Sad

We hate the game, not the playaz.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 342 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1