Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Another Wot Bike M8 - what do brah?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throwing this back open again because, just like all things with me and my imaginary budgets, I have seen a couple of things I like which blow through it, being:
1) Royal Enfield 500 Bullet - near brand new at £3200
2) Pre-registered VanVan 200 - Suzuki trying to punt on at £3499 when a 'new' one is £4k, so I get a feeling there might be a deal to be done there.

Given the increase in budget, to say ~£3k+/- a few squid - does this open up any other opportunities I'm currently missing?

Cheers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superdream? I would have kept my Hondamatic if i had more space. It was light and quirky, great for around town, shit brakes, cost me £750 and i sold it for 850. Just enough torque to be fun and useful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:57 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
2) Pre-registered VanVan 200 - Suzuki trying to punt on at £3499 when a 'new' one is £4k, so I get a feeling there might be a deal to be done there.

I think I might be cheeky as flux on that and offer them £3K, cash, yes mate, serious mate, doing you a favour really, mate, and you can forget your "on the road charges", mate.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:25 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/group-tests/honda-msx125-vs-suzuki-vanvan

I found this little article about them, and it does mention the 2nd/3Rd bike syndrome and that it's a popular way of thinking for small simple fun and frolics.

The Van Van 200 doesn't sound bad really for a funky town laugh, (the original RV125 would be better) but as Roger said for such a basic simple and non fast selling bike, I'd not want to spend £3k plus on one. If you could get a new one under that, I'd consider it definitely, but then I'd be pricing up the best deals on an MSX and the cost of a big bore tuning kit as well.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

£3k isn't that NSR250 / RGV250 territory.

Good luck / enjoy the Enfield if you do. But for something a bit different, a 250cc 2t would be on my list.

.......haven't fully read the thread.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't get much more than a project that if your lucky is complete in the world of 250cc race replicas. Any 3grand 250 that actually runs will probably want an engine rebuild for piece of mind, and anything requiring cosmetic restoration or new plastics will be a money pit.

I do agree that 3k plus for a second, small fun bike is rather silly though, but that's prices for brand new machines, which up even around that price can work for someone who doesn't have much time to work on old bikes, or just wants to do more riding and less fettling etc.

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

To cover pretty much all purposes and seasons. Still want to try an MSX though, I could probably sling the pushbike out of the garage to make room.

I'll probably bimble up to carter bar / Jedburgh on either Sunday or Monday. you're welcome to a go

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:47 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did an actual buy today. Amazing really as I'm never really that decisive and tend to take ages to take the plunge (exact opposite of my work life ironically).

Not too far over budget in the end. No spoilers yet, picking it up this week at some point and then I'll reveal all.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
kramdra wrote:
I like the idea of the VT250, and its not many horses less than the 250rr.

Interesting looking bike, it looks like it evolved into the (uber rare) VTR 250? I've been keeping an eye out for a VTR for a while, but when they do come up for sale people want silly money.

only made in the us for 2 years, near impossible to find

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:45 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Not too far over budget in the end. No spoilers yet, picking it up this week at some point and then I'll reveal all.

Ah balls may as well just come clean.

I've needed to dust these off:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3947/33986236291_e555b5e8f9_z.jpg

And I'm off out later to buy me some tweed.

Hello and welcome to 1936 Whistle

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2806/33731503990_f973918621_z.jpg

500 Bullet, 2017 bike near as new as you'd find. In the fetching Marsh Grey colour. Pick it up this week at some point and then it's bimblebimblebimble for me next weekend.

Guy selling it had come from sports / sports-touring bikes and thought it was a great idea at the time, but quickly recognised it wasn't for him and decided to cut his losses. A deal was struck, the rest is history (or it will be when I pick it up).

Tally ho Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:18 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top notch, spiffing. Welcome to performing acts of ostentatious courtesy. Thumbs Up

Don't lord it over us with your fancy-pants fuel gauge though.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:35 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrippleTron wrote:
M.C wrote:
Interesting looking bike, it looks like it evolved into the (uber rare) VTR 250? I've been keeping an eye out for a VTR for a while, but when they do come up for sale people want silly money.

only made in the us for 2 years, near impossible to find

1st or 2nd gen'? The second gen' (the baby monster looking one) was sold in a few markets, Australia being one. I believe they also made it over to parts of Europe in the late 00's.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Top notch, spiffing. Welcome to performing acts of ostentatious courtesy. Thumbs Up

Don't lord it over us with your fancy-pants fuel gauge though.

Fuel light mate, that's all it has. That's all the KTM has too Laughing

Picked it up tonight. Hilarious. It's sort of exactly what I was after and nothing like what I was after all at the same time; but it's totally different to the KTM and it complements (take note Adam) it perfectly. Loving the tools in my garage at disposal now.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:09 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Fuel light mate, that's all it has.

</humblebrag>

Hah! No ammeter! How do you know how many amms it's consuming or excreting?

arry wrote:
Picked it up tonight. Hilarious. It's sort of exactly what I was after and nothing like what I was after all at the same time; but it's totally different to the KTM and it complements (take note Adam) it perfectly.

Bikes for moods, it's where it's at. Glad you're enjoying it.

JonE
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 07:27 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splendid choice old boy Thumbs Up

I picked up a 95 Enfield 350 a couple of weeks ago, if you want hilarity you should try riding one with the right side gear shift and 1 up 3 down gearbox 60 miles home for the first time Very Happy

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:22 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonE wrote:
Splendid choice old boy Thumbs Up

I picked up a 95 Enfield 350 a couple of weeks ago, if you want hilarity you should try riding one with the right side gear shift and 1 up 3 down gearbox 60 miles home for the first time Very Happy

Why thank you sir; and yes I do believe that would have boiled my nut quite extensively.

Here's the little bugger:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2880/34145411395_9df814ec55_z.jpg

Better pictures at the weekend when I take the wife out on it through the countryside and instant lovemaking prowess is attained.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:32 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Better pictures at the weekend when I take the wife out on it through the countryside and instant lovemaking prowess is attained.

Don't forget your swanee whistle to make the appropriate Carry On Riding sound effects.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Can we get some pictures of the bike too though?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:38 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fnar; fnar!

More pics.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2870/34203776095_505cfa8c4c_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2839/33393118243_0b1bf6b759_b.jpg

Been out two up today with wifey on back. She loves it. It's alright when it's through first gear but a bit sketchy before that. Still love it though.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:57 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonE wrote:

Do they still have neutral between 1st and 2nd?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:03 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Been out two up today with wifey on back. She loves it.

The tingle of an unbalanced single. Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:54 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting choice Arry.
Rogerborg wrote:

Because you get to use all the things revs.
Doing more with less can be rewarding.

This is the same with cars too. I had an Audi that only felt like it was trying at 110+ at the same time the wife had
a 1.2 Fiat 500 that I was mashing the foot through the carpet anytime I drove it. The Audi was better made, better
equipped, way more capable, and with triple the power of the Fiat and then some. But flogging the crap out of the
Fiat made me grin more. I chose the Spacker over the Striple for sheer grin factor too, even though I know the Triumph
is the better bike.

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:28 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Orsepower is all Reply with quote

I go all over the country and round Yerp on 20hp and to be honest it's a struggle sometimes. If you like that sort of torture (and I do) then 20 horsepower is about the minimum you'd want to be able to go anywhere. But a Ninja 250 does about 30hp for around the same weight and there are a few other sort-of-classic bikes around the 30hp mark that can be had cheap if you want vintage coolness. For instance the old Honda CB350S is a very good engine, basically a bigger Superdream. Vintage bikes have a certain flair but you do have to be handy with the spanners

But if you just want a really good bike at minimal cost that's just boringly superb in every way get a Honda CB1. Old enough to be cheap, new enough to be good and good enough to be fun.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:46 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4177/33957257810_e61d73d204_b.jpg

600 mile run in procedure​ achievement unlocked.

First 6.8 miles of full throttle. It's no quicker, just makes for more vibration and noise Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:00 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no top-end to chase. It's all about roll-on, kick-up. When the pedal goes floppy, that's your whack. Enjoy the scenery.

Did Mrs arry give it up yet?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 355 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4