Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brake Disc Renewal

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Renton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Brake Disc Renewal Reply with quote

So the brake discs, both front and rear, are bang on the 'service limit' (according to Haynes manual).

With an upcoming MOT, and small repair budget, how much further can I realistically take them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember an MOT tester measuring the thickness of a brake disc, ever!
I imagine as long as you pass the brake force test it'll go unnoticed.

As for your own peace of mind, if your on a budget, source some second hand one's and get the seller to measure them.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Africa Twin rear disc got to about 125,000 miles and the MOT bloke apologised, plonked a micrometer on it and then said, "Not this year, time to change this now". He was more concerned with the thicker ridge outside the swept area of the pads than the actual thickness of the disc itself. Put an EBC disc in its place a few days later.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 00:43 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you go... make sure you can stop!
It's one bit of bike, I am very very uncomfy to risk pushing my chances on.
Odds is, unless the disc is quite markedly ridged, or scored, it will go un mentioned.. BUT you have already mentioned it.....
They are going to get 'too' thin sooner or later, so what are you really saving, putting it off, to do later rather than sooner? Certainly not peace of mind.. is it worth it?
Which would you rather worry about; pennies on the over-draft, or brakes fading out on you when some twat pulls out of a side turn in-front of you?

And odds on, when you come to do the job of swapping them, there'll be more than just worn rotors that want attention, and whist you have them off, you'll be cleaning, if not overhauling the calipers, and float-mounts, and fitting new pads, and when done, and they work like they should, you'll wonder why you ever tried skimping on them for the added bite and feel and shorter stopping you get from it.... which will be small recompense for the entire expense, but a whole HELL of a lot of piece of mind for the effort.

So my advce is to bite the bullet and get it sorted.

OR, take the hint; you are running a bike beyond your means, and if you get it through muster, get rid, and get something you can afford to keep in tip top trim.

No amount of presumed performance you cant use or are afraid to use or you have to nurse to use ocassionally is worth it, compared to something that can give its all, on demand, even if it isn't as much...

And no amount of badge bragging rights or spec sheet top trumps is worth squat in intensive care or up the pearly stairs....

Get it sorted, or get rid.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:48 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be fine.

Renton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I going to need to replace the disc mountain bolts as well, or does this depend on their condition? I've seen a few retailers advertise them as a 'recommended item' alongside the discs.

Oh and Mike, thank you for the in depth reply (as always). However, the intention is most definitely to replace the discs with new, but this would have to come after the MOT so my concern is/was that it could be a potential advisory/failure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 358 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1