Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What is the best ground anchor I can buy?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
So I should get that tailpack in the link?

I would say not on the grounds that buying a bag for a particular bike that you, as you've said before, plan to sell anyway is redonkulas. A far better investment is that of Kriega, or the same design but cheaper, that can be transferred to any bike you buy.

Also a US-10, I believe SophR uses for the same purpose, is capable, again I read and am told, of transporting a 16mm 2.0m with I assume a little room left over.

US-10 = £65
Honda bag + strap = £76.50 (all in)

It is, of course, up to yourself.

A topic entirely different perhaps, but just to put the view out there, I wouldn't get into the habit, unless really needed.. a part cannot be sourced elsewhere for example, because you'll quickly be paying more than is needed, as a well reviewed and highly recommended, across the forum, piece of luggage proves.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:43 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
NJD wrote:
Based on the bikes rear end design, Kriega.

You'll soon appreciate the investment when you've got just under 9kg for one chain wriggling around on your rear end.

Unless anyone has a underseat bag that uses the same system but is cheaper and reliable.

So I should get that tailpack in the link? It will fit the chain?

Also Edgebaston is not super expensive - I'm paying only 12.5% a month more than the house in Erdington.

Maths degree coming in handy, how big's the credit card bill?

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX-7R wrote:
You trying to take Tef's title of the most long winded poster who could of said it in a quarter of the words?.

Missed this.

Read a book, felt smart, wrote an essay.

Rolling Eyes Laughing
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
Fantastic I'm buying the US-10!

I fear I'm contributing to a story that's fast going to turn into a post graduate living on pot noodles attempting to pay back multiple student loans for that's who's money you're currently fast getting through, right?

Adam_89
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:59 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a ground cement in style, 'same' as the Y anchor but 1/10 of the price, cost me £16 delivered and it's practically the same.

Installed this afternoon after picking my bike up this morning!

Pic:
https://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e8/Adam_Axford/IMG_20170423_165022_zps0oeyvvsz.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:20 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

I fear I'm contributing to a story that's fast going to turn into a post graduate living on pot noodles attempting to pay back multiple student loans for that's who's money you're currently fast getting through, right?

I suspect bank of M&D.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:45 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam_89 wrote:

Slight flaw in your plan.

https://i.imgur.com/Loqr3Zw.png

Adam_89
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:58 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Adam_89 wrote:

Slight flaw in your plan.

https://i.imgur.com/Loqr3Zw.png

Same with any chain, but this way the only option is to cut the chain, not an easy task...

Also have the Oxford alarmed disc lock, oh and my back yard gate has no way of being opened from the outside (without smashing the gate down)

Probably as secure as i could get it, without having a garage or room to bring it inside the house.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:05 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a really fucking easy task with an Oxford chain

Why go to all that effort of installing a ground anchor to then attach a piece of shit chain?

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam_89 wrote:

Same with any chain, but this way the only option is to cut the chain, not an easy task...

That's debatable.
Adam_89 wrote:
Also have the Oxford alarmed disc lock

Laughing
Adam_89 wrote:
oh and my back yard gate has no way of being opened from the outside (without smashing the gate down)

From the inside then, there is no obstacle that pikeys won't climb.
Adam_89 wrote:
Probably as secure as i could get it, without having a garage or room to bring it inside the house.

Incorrect, you could have purchased a chain from a more reputable company.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:33 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam_89 wrote:

Gone in 22 seconds.

Gone in 14.16 seconds.

There's a reason we refer to them as Oxfrauds.

Adam_89
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:03 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Adam_89 wrote:

Gone in 22 seconds.

Gone in 14.16 seconds.

The chain is secured to the ground, so they wouldn't get the leverage to do that....

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Adam_89 wrote:

Gone in 22 seconds.

Gone in 14.16 seconds.

Where as the Pragmasis 16mm, about a minute with an angle grinder on a viced link.
I'm happy with those numbers, I would sure as hell wake up and be outside with that noise in under a minute.

Adam_89 wrote:

The chain is secured to the ground, so they wouldn't get the leverage to do that....

Unless you have the chain perfectly tight and each link hovering off the ground, it won't stop them doing as the rotund chain breaker did and just putting one cutter arm on the ground.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:19 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's quite clear we have someone that's unwilling, in the face of despite evidence, to accept that the chain that he's invested in really isn't up to the job it's supposed to be designed for.

If you're genuinely happy with using that to take your bike out and about despite being given all the advice to the contrary, video and written, then don't baw if, and when, your bike gets stolen. It's not a nice idea to contemplate but here's the advice and pre-warning against an attack, hopefully, long before it occurs.

Pragmasis don't recommend getting anything other than a 13mm to carry around. Perfectly portable, perfectly light and cheap as chips.

Since I read, I've always believed in, the whole "what's the point in securing a bike worth xxx.xx with a chain that costs xx.xx."

We've all been innocent, perhaps some have not, but you've got the advice, just take it.

I use an Oxford disc lock but accept doing so on the grounds that if they've then got through all other forms of anti-theft devices by then and it's the only thing that remains in their way then all I've done by not using a better one is reduce the overall loss of funds once I realise what's happened. So yeah, beef up the security where needed.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:34 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
put it into this shed kind of thing which has a brick wall which I hope to put the ground anchor on.

Er... Ground is ground NOT a wall....

Just drill 2 holes through the wall, put some plastic tubing in said hole and loop chain through it.

Jobs a good un.

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:10 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam_89 wrote:
I bought a ground cement in style, 'same' as the Y anchor but 1/10 of the price, cost me £16 delivered and it's practically the same.

Pic:
https://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e8/Adam_Axford/IMG_20170423_165022_zps0oeyvvsz.jpg

Question, looks like loose soil, will you be able to lift the whole lot out of the ground? Or is it something more solid the cement is bonding to underneath?

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:14 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

freyuk wrote:
Adam_89 wrote:

Pic:

Question, looks like loose soil, will you be able to lift the whole lot out of the ground? Or is it something more solid the cement is bonding to underneath?

Lift a big ball of concrete out of the ground or cut through an oxford chain.. hmmm difficult decision Thinking

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:34 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does not look that big to me, of course it could be 3 feet deep and be a bit awkward to transport, but yes chain seems like a better idea.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:12 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

B0ndy wrote:

Lift a big ball of concrete out of the ground or cut through an oxford chain.. hmmm difficult decision Thinking

Lift the chunk of concrete/anchor and use it to smash the cheese chain. Thumbs Up

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:10 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:

Not that it matters given they can be grinded through easy

It's a bit of a lottery if they'll fail your MOT without them, no bother though that's what superglue and or blu tack is for right?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:21 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:

Oh and btw I don't know who said the the cbr pillion pegs are removable but two dealers confirm they're not. Hong Kong Phooey was it you? Smile
Not that it matters given they can be grinded through easy

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CBR125-LEFT-Footpeg-Hanger-Bracket-Foot-Peg-2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016-/151370426864

They certainly look pretty removable to me.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 360 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4