Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

XVS 950 - Dead/Help diagnosing issue

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

drro85
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:58 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: XVS 950 - Dead/Help diagnosing issue Reply with quote

Hi all, Ive got a XVS950 2011, with 40,492 miles on the clock, which ran fine up until the end of last month. i was on the motorway, in the heavy rain and after around 50 miles the bike started to choke and splutter dropping down to 1 cylinder, giving it more revs managed to get it moving again as it should for another 5/10 miles, at which point it died, so i got into the hard shoulder and checked over it theres an error code 33 on the LCD and the engine management light is on.

The very little info i can find is that error code 33 is for "open circuit in coil 1" so i bought 2 new OEM coils, which i fitted but the bike wont start on both cylinders, and the error code is still present. The bike will start but only on the 1 cylinder (Rear cylinder)

Heres what i've done so far;

2 New OEM coils fitted, 2 new HT leads, 2 new Plug caps.
Checked both spark plugs are fine (checked just in case)
Checked both coils have a live (11.80v) to them.
Checked the HT leads for continuity and both are fine.
Rechecked all the wires going to the coil/connections.

Ive got the wiring diagram for the bike but i cant seem to find any info on how to test for a pulse, or if it picks up both coil 1 & 2 pulses from the same feed or 2 different feeds, If i could find that out that'd help narrow it down a little.

I've just tried taking the 2 wires (orange and a red/black one) of the bottom of the 1st coil and put them on the 2nd coil then turned ignition on, the error code was still present, so if im right that rules out a bad coil as the error code would go, least i think it would.

In the wiring diagram the orange wire goes to the ECU and the red/black wire goes to a relay, kill switch. But if the relay or kill switch was at fault surely it'd affect both coils, plus that is the live feed, which ive tested for and both coils are getting a live feed (11.80v)

So im at a loss now as to what else it could be or how to trace down the issue, has anybody had this, or any ideas etc? Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought but do you not need to clear the codes before you attempt a restart? I know on Hondas and such it's just a matter of shorting two pins on the diagnostic plug to clear the memory.

drro85
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:22 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That occurred to me but i cant find any info in the service book ive got or online as to how to reset, so i disconnected the battery for 30 mins then reconnected to see if that helps (it resets the clocks so figured it might reset the diagnostics) But it made no difference.

Edit;
I found this
"1. Key off- kill run position
2. Press and hold select and reset
3. Turn key on
4. Wait for dIAG to appear
5. Press and hold select and rest again
6. Wait for d01 to appear.
7. Turn kill switch to off
8. Then scroll to the code
9. Turn kill switch to run
10. Start engine and let idle."

And this;
Error Number 33 : Coil 1 open circuit - DIAG mode 30

Under diag mode 30 is,
30 : Coil 1 is activated 5 times per second.

So i went through, went to diag 30, did all the steps, the fuel pump kicks in constantly and the engine light flashes, but the bike wont start, so turned ignition of then back on to try start like normal and the error code 33 is still their. Im not sure what the use of activating the 1st coil 5 times per second would be, if the diag mode would just say if theres a pulse or not that'd make more sense.

By going to 61 it displays a history of error codes, and going to 62 and turning the kill switch to on it resets\clears them, i had 4 error codes in the history (such a reliable bike Evil or Very Mad ) which ive cleared except for code 33, so its not a case of needing reset as the code just comes back.

Is it possible the crankshaft sensor has died? And would that pick/send the pulses to the coils?

This is just guesswork but based on the attached image it has 2 tabs (1 for each coil?) I have traced the wire out the engine block to a 2 pin connector, so if this is the connector and what send s the pulse how could i test it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paulf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my honda fes 125 the owners manual for the speed probe is a pulsed feed to determine the wheel rotation. To test it the honda workshop manual tell to check for the voltage pulse with v set multimeter and rotate wheel. Therefore for your pulse you could generate the pulse by hand cracking with ignition on a see if the volts go from zero to approx 12 v. Just a suggestion and I am sure an autoelectrician on here will give more sound advice.
Past bikes simsom mofa 1s, suzuki hustler 250 (£35 in 1973), suzuki ts125k, mz150, yamaha yb 100, honda pc50, honda vision 50, all 2 stroke - then cars - honda pcx 125 (sold) own honda fes 125 and Mrs 125 spares or repairs. Started 1972 all accidents walked away no insurAnce claims

oouche
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:07 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi when you swapped the coil wires did you swap both pairs as from the info its not clear which coil is number 1. it looks on the surface to be a disconnection between ecu and coil the orange or grey red wire

hope this is of some help

drro85
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:48 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive jigged up a 12v bulb and some wires, in theory if i put the live into the 2 pin connector that sends the pulse and hand crank the engine then the bulb should light up as the pulse is sent. Then test the 2nd wire in the connector.

The coils, i changed both of them, and ive switched them around etc and verified both coils are good, its the front cylinder thats not firing, which is the left most coils/one with the orange wire on it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1