Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Givi Luggage, Confusing....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Deadonkey
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:52 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Givi Luggage, Confusing.... Reply with quote

Hi,

Im all new to this, got myself a bike etc but im a bit sick of stuffing stuff down my jacket or buying things from shops and then having that arkward moment stood looking at the bike and your pockets weighing up how your going to get the thing home.

So I looked online and bought a rack and a plate and a top box.

I researched this all, like we all do these days online, and it seems that the GIVI top boxes are split into monolock and monokey. the monolock says its aimed at scooters and small motorcycles.

Having a XJ6 i thought id better go for the better monokey system, so bought that system, I got the smallest top box there is for the monokey system the V40n which now its here and on my bike is a bit bigger than I was expecting.

I have no idea what size I want and would appreciate some views of people on the forum,
What size would I need to fit a full face helmet in? because thats all im really after, put my lunch in and a bit of shopping in and then when im in the shops or off the bike put my lid in it.
and would a monolock top box be sturdy enough for me to ride my XJ6 normally at normal road legal speeds, as it seems online its not advised for a normal sized 600cc bike, unless a 600cc bike is classed as scooter and light motorcycle.

Ive got a couple of options,
Sell the case and the plate on ebay, and buy a monolock plate and a new topbox

or keep it and use it when Im doing longer distances and need the space, swapping it over for a smaller top box, this would have to be from the monolock range as I already have the smallest monokey top box they do.
This creates the issue that everytime I want to change top boxes over im going to have to get the spanners out and change the plate over,

Is there a Universal GIVI plate that would accept a monokey top box and a monolock top box? then I can get that and a new smaller monolock box, and just change them over when required.

or the third option, put up with it looking massive and buy more stuff to fill it. Cool

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Givi Luggage, Confusing.... Reply with quote

Deadonkey wrote:
Is there a Universal GIVI plate that would accept a monokey top box and a monolock top box?

I don't think so,

but KAPPA and GIVI are interchangeable within the monolock and monokey fitments, so might be worth having a look at their range. KAPPA tends to be cheaper too.

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monolock is fine most of the time unless you're carrying tons of shit. Get a 30l monolock and it'll be fine most of the time. If just get a cheap 30l one from ebay

They aren't interchangeable.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Givi Luggage, Confusing.... Reply with quote

Deadonkey wrote:
having that arkward moment

Is that what Noah had just before the flood?

As for sizes, I had a 32L box from CMPO on my old bike, that fitted a full face helmet fine, with enough room left for a sandwich and a disklock.

For the Bandit I bought a 50L ebay cheapy (under £40 for the box and the plate, but I already had a Renntec rack that it would fit on.) That's been in daily use for 18 months and is still going strong. The 50L fits two helmets with a little bit to spare.

Givi stuff looks quality, but I'm too much of a tight-arse!

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Givi Luggage, Confusing.... Reply with quote

Deadonkey wrote:
i thought id better go for the better monokey system, so bought that system, I got the smallest top box there is for the monokey system the V40n which now its here and on my bike is a bit bigger than I was expecting.

I went down just the same route as you last year, agonised over monokey/monolock and like you ended up with the V40n. I also felt it was a bit on the big side for everyday use (while still being rather small for serious touring purposes). Kind of used to it now, I suppose though.

In its favour, though, obviously it's dead easy to take on and off, so if I'm just off out on a ride-out the box stays at home in the garage. Another top-tip - I also always carry a small cargo net under the seat (eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262803137408), which is useful for the rare occasion that I unexpectedly end up needing to get something back home on the back of the bike.

Keeping the monokey system rather than downgrading to monolock also gives you the option in the future of maybe buying a second, bigger box for if you want to go off touring with lots of stuff on board.

Deadonkey
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:01 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the help.
I've put my v40n on ebay and bought myself a 30l monolock and a monolock plate.
Should suit my needs better.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a monolock plate and top box. i believe there are more size options for monolock bases, which iirc all fit on the same base. monokey is limited to larger boxes (40l+ iirc)

'some' might have an advisory on whether its for smaller bikes/scooters.

my monolock top box was still on after going well over a ton for 30+ minutes (more than once i might add)* so take that advisory with a pinch of salt

50l is what you need to fit a lid+assorted bits n bobs in, although i have managed tools, spare fuel, bungees, spare clothes etc etc all in a 30L box. i just take my lid wherever i go

+1 for carrying a cargo net and a couple of bungees

*i was just testing the bike officer, honest

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

have the v56 on my ZZR14 .. it is amazing how quickly these things fill up wit crap Rolling Eyes

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadonkey wrote:
I've put my v40n on ebay and bought myself a 30l monolock

If it's unused why not just return it to the supplier for refund, surely?

pompousporcupine wrote:

I don't think the division scooter = monolock, big bike = monokey is really anything more than recognising that the bigger the machine, the more stuff it's likely to be carrying, or at least can carry; and bigger loads need the more robust mounting system.

Deadonkey
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:56 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Deadonkey wrote:
I've put my v40n on ebay and bought myself a 30l monolock

If it's unused why not just return it to the supplier for refund, surely?

pompousporcupine wrote:

I don't think the division scooter = monolock, big bike = monokey is really anything more than recognising that the bigger the machine, the more stuff it's likely to be carrying, or at least can carry; and bigger loads need the more robust mounting system.

I would return it but it was from italy via Amazon marketplace. I fear it may be easier to just sell it on myself than return it

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadonkey wrote:
I would return it but it was from italy via Amazon marketplace. I fear it may be easier to just sell it on myself than return it

Hmm, I'd definitely give it a go - Amazon are usually really good at returns and they insist their marketplace sellers play ball. IIWY I'd go into your account and run the 'returns' wizard for this purchase and see what it comes back with - chances are it will tell you how much the return shipment will cost and they'll give you a returns label etc - if you don't like it then ignore it, but I'll bet it's easier and more cost-effective than ebaying it!

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the case mountings key/lock are robust, I've done far higher than 100mph (in Germany, of course) with the things fully (probably over) loaded with clothing, etc. for a week.
The frame mounting arms are the things that take the load, but the Givi model specific arms are as good as it gets. I see quite a few mounted to flimsy racks with even flimsier frame mounts, they are the ones bouncing down the motorway when the racks crack up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like the monokey stuff. The old E45/E36 boxes can be found on ebay for next to nothing and are both minimal and tough. I started with one as a topbox and now have two as tour panniers. I got a V46 with brakelight. It's a bit heavy but it was less than a 2nd hand E45 if I bought it with the SWMotech rear rack I needed for the bandit.

SW Motech make some seriously strong racks (quicklok evo series) that will take most luggage fittings if you buy the right fitment kit. This is what I have on the current ride.

I have Kappa K21s for small panniers, they're slim enough to filter nicely. They are monokey compatible and significantly cheaper than Givi equivalents.

Bonus points for being able to get cheap locksets, I have all 5 boxes mentioned on the same key and it makes life much easier.

I don't trust the helmet fitting claims though. Maybe with child's or very slim 70's helmets, but I've had to rip the document holders out of my "fits two full face helmets" boxes to get one modern lid in. I'm a medium or large depending on manufacturer, but it's the same getting my partner's small HJC IS17 in though. I'd be very wary of a box that claims to be just big enough for a single lid without trying it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 361 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1