Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

General Election: 8th June 2017

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:

Love or loathe Blair, he was a good speaker and came across as a fairly together guy

But he wasn't, so clearly voting for the front man is a poor shout.

If you want to loathe Blair even more, give this a watch: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3489996/

A wee bit sensationalised, but an interesting piece nonetheless.

I think more telling about the whole Tony Blair thing is that he only managed to regain Labour's popularity by cosying up with the media and giving loads of concessions to big money. The news only played nice with him after he did that. Then he ended up as crooked as the rest. That's why it seems stunningly obvious to me that Corbyn's bad rep isn't because he's a poor candidate, but because he rightly doesn't have or want that kind of media on his side.

Politics isn't really politics any more, it's profit-driven advertising, where the profits and the advertising are fronted by outside interests.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
But he wasn't, so clearly voting for the front man is a poor shout.

I'm not saying it isn't. What I'm saying is that the party leader is the poster-child for the party. Whether or not you *should* treat elections like that isn't the point. People do. And because people do, the parties have to be prepared for that to happen.

It's always been the case. I grew up in the 80s and 90s. Thatcher was the Tories. The Tories were Thatcher.

It's no use saying "look, our party is all philanthropists and nobel prize winners and rocket scientists" if you've elected Forest Gump or Scaramanga as your most visible, front-and-centre representative. You need someone who emits a degree of competence, finds a mechanism to connect with the majority and knows how to work the media, because that's what the job is.

Last edited by angryjonny on 14:38 - 21 Apr 2017; edited 1 time in total
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:38 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
Whereas Corbyn comes across as a weak lefty geography teacher.

Really? Weak? How long do you think you in your business, or most other people you know, last under the kind of pressure Corbyn is under?

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
angryjonny wrote:
Whereas Corbyn comes across as a weak lefty geography teacher.

Really? Weak? How long do you think you in your business, or most other people you know, last under the kind of pressure Corbyn is under?

"comes across as" <> "is"

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:06 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
How long do you think you in your business, or most other people you know, last under the kind of pressure Corbyn is under?

The pressure of living his entire adult life on student grants, union subs and tax money?

Of only having a "performance review" every 5 years?

Oh, now? The worst that can possibly happen to him is that he'll have to fiddle his tax returns as a regular £75K + expenses MP without his dananana-nananana-Leader stipend.

Your "clients" are under more pressure than that. They probably look like tramps as well, and could do as least as good a job at PMQs with a bevvy in them.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:

I'm not saying it isn't. What I'm saying is that the party leader is the poster-child for the party. Whether or not you *should* treat elections like that isn't the point. People do. And because people do, the parties have to be prepared for that to happen.

It's always been the case. I grew up in the 80s and 90s. Thatcher was the Tories. The Tories were Thatcher.

It's no use saying "look, our party is all philanthropists and nobel prize winners and rocket scientists" if you've elected Forest Gump or Scaramanga as your most visible, front-and-centre representative. You need someone who emits a degree of competence, finds a mechanism to connect with the majority and knows how to work the media, because that's what the job is.

Pretty much agree with everything other than the part in bold.

Honestly cannot stand how much it's about 'winning the media'. Might as well give up entirely and admit that politics is based solely on the whims and interests of those controlling the press, whose motivations are profit first, then stability second (because a stable country is a news-buying country). Note how 'the best for the populace' doesn't come into that. Annoys me more and more these days.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:57 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
the kind of pressure Corbyn is under

https://i.imgur.com/BDwKZIs.png

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:

Boner at the worst possible moment?

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Jewlio Rides Again wrote:
Loaded questions with multiple repeats. And it's that up to date it asks how you think the Brexit vote will go Laughing

No it doesn't.

Quote:
Do you agree with the UK’s Brexit decision to withdraw from the European Union?

Quote:
What do you expect will be the result of the Brexit vote?
Leave
Stay
Add your own stance

Apology accepted. Wink
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:15 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Honestly cannot stand how much it's about 'winning the media'. Might as well give up entirely and admit that politics is based solely on the whims and interests of those controlling the press, whose motivations are profit first, then stability second (because a stable country is a news-buying country). Note how 'the best for the populace' doesn't come into that. Annoys me more and more these days.

Do you think May's idea of excluding the media, including the pro-Tory media, from her 'tour' is better? She's watched Trump and is blithely duplicating his actions.

I'd rather vote for a donkey wearing a hat than the Dictator In Waiting..

mpd72 wrote:

You must be seeing a different one to me then, because I pasted the question.

Some of the questions have been added/removed from yesterday. Both questions were on on my list.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:19 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

I knew as soon as I went back to the link from my history where the questions were tallied had changed, because it was 55-55 between Tory and Labour, which is different to the post I made previously.

As I said, apology accepted. Wink

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:00 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can politics be anything other than a media show? Admit my ramble, please.

Realistically, votes are based on knowledge. Knowledge comes from familiarity. Familiarity comes from exposure.

Is there any other way? You can't reach a country by knocking on doors.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:41 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharia ain't no Trump. The God Emperor has 28 million tweeter followers, and the legacy media reach the rest by reporting everything controversial that he tweets - which is pretty much all of it.

Sharia has 280 thousand followers, which is admittedly more than I'd expect. I didn't even know she was on tweeter though, and it appears to be nothing but thin, bland gruel squeezed through a filter to remove anything remotely interesting or controversial.

I'm guessing that she's currently riding so high that she reckons she can only harm herself by doing or saying anything.

ScaredyCat wrote:
I'd rather vote for a donkey wearing a hat than the Dictator In Waiting.

What do you think an all powerful Darth Sharia would deliver?

Based on her admittedly sketchy past record (she's done a good job of sailing before the prevailing wind), I expect it'll be a globalist, open borders, social justice, tax-and-spend, prohibitionist, snackbar appeasing, pro-EU regime. I.e. Tony Blair's Common Purpose legacy continued, in high heels.

I relish the idea of 5 years of an actual Conservative government (e.g. Gove, Leadsom, Davis, Patel), I just don't think that's what we're going to get from Sharia.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

ScaredyCat wrote:
I'd rather vote for a donkey wearing a hat than the Dictator In Waiting.

What do you think an all powerful Darth Sharia would deliver?

Would deliver? She's already doing damage that's unrelated to brexit.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:06 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
She's already doing damage that's unrelated to brexit.

Pics of damage?

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:

Can't stop laughing

https://i.imgur.com/VZuSAIP.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:37 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, UKIP have gone full gas the muz.

This is absolutely the right (wing) move for them, saying what the other parties won't about #ntdwi. Ray guns! They get labelled as Nazis anyway, so they might as well do the crime. Nuttall bumbling around trying to be Tory Lite lost them Stoke-on-Trent which was theirs for the taking.

I expect - nay, I demand - full on autie screeching from the leftie rentamobs, and calls to spill Kipper blood in the name of tolerance and diversity. A triggering! A triggering!

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is getting too funny Laughing Laughing Laughing

Theresa May fighting tourism now?? Bloody foreigners coming here taking photos of Engerland ROFL #GeneralElectionFail2017

You can stage an event, but who will prevent you from fail? Yes I mean you there Theresa Mr. Green

https://i.imgur.com/S5Mp2GG.jpg

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3412103/theresa-may-mixes-up-tourism-and-terrorism-in-hilarious-speech-slip-up/

Liar Black Eye
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
It is getting too funny Laughing Laughing Laughing

Theresa May fighting tourism now?? Bloody foreigners coming here taking photos of Engerland ROFL #GeneralElectionFail2017

You can stage an event, but who will prevent you from fail? Yes I mean you there Theresa Mr. Green

https://i.imgur.com/S5Mp2GG.jpg

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3412103/theresa-may-mixes-up-tourism-and-terrorism-in-hilarious-speech-slip-up/

Liar Black Eye

The Tories have shown absolutely gigantic cracks in their election campaign.

This 'strong and stable leadership' malarkey is the weakest PR game I've ever seen.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about we play Where's Theresa...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/abyxb3nusxb9cku/wheres-theresa.png?raw=1

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 06:55 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
This 'strong and stable leadership' malarkey is the weakest PR game I've ever seen.

It's a conservative gambit. They're in a strong position, the opposition is comically inept, and all Sharia has to do is to avoid any substantive gaffes (hahahah, she perhaps mis-spoke a word, that invalidates her premiership, just like Trump).

It's a FUD campaign, and the opposite of the positive outlook that she promised, but, eh, politician. I despise her, but she is an effective operator.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 338 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 7 of 69