Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

VR - Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, PSVR, etc

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 00:33 - 01 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the future of top end VR and how well it will be adopted... probably as much as high end gaming PCs are sold Vs consoles.... only issue is, you need a high end gaming pc AND a £600 - £800 headset, further pricing most people out the market.

Mobile VR is where it will dominate and excel the most, everyone's got a decent one these days, phones are getting stupid now in power and displays, etc.

Octa core CPUs, 6gb DDR4 RAM, 2k - 4k displays.. in a phone and that's what has been around for a fair amount of time, nevermind the newer stuff coming out.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 21:27 - 03 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.vive.com/cn/accessory/tpcast/

Interesting piece of kit available on the Chinese Vive site... a device to make your Vive wireless for about £175

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:02 - 04 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
So is it the future? Smile I'm still not sure, Gran Turismo 7 isn't going to be vR, a number of developers on the PC are supporting vR but it really needs mainstream titles if it's going to be widely adopted (my understanding's it hasn't been selling as well as they'd hoped).

Still sitting on the fence to see if it's another 3DTV and/or what the next gen' of devices are like.

It is definitely the future, but more so when they mass produce a headset more like a big pair of sunglasses costing under £100.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 10 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I am typing this on a system with an 1060 gpu, i'm going for the PSVR.

I've tried it , kids have and they love it.

I'm an old gamer, worked in IT over 20 years etc, but i'm not in to PC games and never have been. Which I know is weird.

Kids are big Steam fans though. (CounterStrike mainly), but I like consoles. I just like to flop in to the sofa and play.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 17:13 - 11 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
Even though I am typing this on a system with an 1060 gpu, i'm going for the PSVR.

I've tried it , kids have and they love it.

I'm an old gamer, worked in IT over 20 years etc, but i'm not in to PC games and never have been. Which I know is weird.

Kids are big Steam fans though. (CounterStrike mainly), but I like consoles. I just like to flop in to the sofa and play.

Nothing wrong with that, consoles are easy and the graphics are good these days, there's not so much of a massive gap between PC and console anymore as the architectures are the same these days.

What about a steambox for the living room? Or even a Steam Link to stream from another machine.

https://store.steampowered.com/hardware

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 11 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:

Nothing wrong with that, consoles are easy and the graphics are good these days, there's not so much of a massive gap between PC and console anymore as the architectures are the same these days.

I disagree. This is the first generation where they're bringing out massively revised consoles (not just repackaged) to try and keep up. My 5 year old PC still runs (the same) games better than the Xbox.

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've bit the bullet and ordered a PSVR & camera. Got a PS4 Pro last month, so I'm hoping the extra grunt will help with the more demanding stuff.

Not even tried VR, so I'm hoping this wasn't a massive waste of money, Laughing.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 15:18 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob W wrote:
Well, I've bit the bullet and ordered a PSVR & camera. Got a PS4 Pro last month, so I'm hoping the extra grunt will help with the more demanding stuff.

Not even tried VR, so I'm hoping this wasn't a massive waste of money, Laughing.

I've had one since launch also with a Pro. Have realistic expectations - having said that, once you're immersed in a game it's pretty damn good fun.

I've just bought Werewolves Within - not the type of game I'd usually be interested in but by all accounts it's good fun. I'll report back when I've played it.

And go all out and get the Move controllers, they add a new level of immersion.

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:

Are they worth the cash then? I had a set for the PS3 and they literally just gathered dust. Might see if I can pick up a pair off eBay on the cheap.

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 18 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no cheap move controllers.
None anywhere.
Next year there'll be loads, but right now a desert as far as move controllers are concerned.
Still have the ones for the ps3? You can use them, can't you?

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 13:45 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I disagree. This is the first generation where they're bringing out massively revised consoles (not just repackaged) to try and keep up. My 5 year old PC still runs (the same) games better than the Xbox.

I'm not saying that consoles are better than PC's, just saying the gap is closer than ever now, than it ever has been.

Developers are no longer having to run two road maps, consoles and pc for games, they are running the same x86 architectures and basically PC's in boxes, so easy to dev games all at the same time, which also means a bit more continuity and optimisation instead of shitty "ports" which happened for so many years because it was simply too expensive to do it properly twice.

Rob W wrote:
Joe wrote:

Are they worth the cash then? I had a set for the PS3 and they literally just gathered dust. Might see if I can pick up a pair off eBay on the cheap.

As Joe said, the controllers are what sells the immersion. When the Oculus came out without them, it was a very detached version of VR compared with the Vive which launched with room scale and controllers. That first time you look at your VR hands and go WTFOMGBBQ? Just sells the whole experience to your brain much easier.

I suppose it depends on what type of person you are too, some people who try VR for the first time on my Vive are absolutely blown away and can't quite believe what they are seeing. These types are usually non techy people, probably spend 99% of their time on their phone rather than having a laptop/pc and aren't really clued up on what's going on in the tech world.

Then you have the "I don't give a shit" crowd, you show them and they are highly un-impressed like you just asked them to work an 18hr shift on xmas day. These types are usually dead behind the eyes anyway so fuck them.

Then you have people like me, very techy, impressed with the technology but, not THAT impressed as I want to see 2.0 and what 4k looks like, with 210 degree field of view, etc etc.... It's coming in the next couple of years, maybe even next year as there are quite a lot of companies working on this presently.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:48 - 19 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedgehugger wrote:
There are no cheap move controllers.
None anywhere.
Next year there'll be loads, but right now a desert as far as move controllers are concerned.
Still have the ones for the ps3? You can use them, can't you?

Yep, I got mine for £25 with a couple of games years ago. Cool

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:58 - 22 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone tried Trinus vR? Just had a go with MotoGP 07, and despite the low resolution, and making myself feel really sick it was awesome. I was actually reaching out to grab the bars Ronnie O'Sullivan stylee at one point Smile What I liked was with the rider cam' when someone passed you, it felt like real life when someone catches you by surprise.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:53 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the thing that makes me want to go all VR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ruckp8-vI0

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:43 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered a Pixmax VR headset yesterday (chinese 4k £300), at the moment I have a headset that hold my phone in front of my face so it should be an improvement - just dipping my toes before I get a vive.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 20:40 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spend a lot of time in Bigscreen VR, it's fucking brilliant.

Not really playing many games, only just installed ReVive so I can check out Oculus titles too.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a PSVR a week or so ago (it was on the 'Days of Play' deal, with camera and a couple of games - also bought it via 'Very' who did a new customer 10% deal when signing up to their store account (then settled the account immediately, natch, else it'd wipe out any savings made)) - came in at £315 for the bundle. I'm using it with an original PS4, plus I had a pair of Move controllers left over from my old PS3.

I struggled with it initially, (I read that this is called getting your VR legs) - I tried DriveClub demo and couldn't do more than two corners before needing to take it off - so I switched to slower moving demos and limited myself to about 10~20 mins a day. (I also read that you should remove the headset the second you feel even slightly sick - don't try to work through it) - this seems to have done the job, I enjoyed The London Heist, very immersive - especially having your hands in the game when using the Move controllers - it all felt very intuitive and natural (I had a near miss by trying to lean on the table in the pub and also dropping the Move controller when trying to let go of a gun)

I can now also race the Driveclub demo without any ill effects.

I'm thinking of buying a new wheel [and buying the full version of DriveClub VR), I have an old Logitech Driving Force Pro wheel - but they've nobbled it by preventing use on the PS4, so I'm looking at a Thrustmaster T300 (any other recommendations? Not the G29 - Logitech can do one)

I've also got Resident Evil, Bio Hazard - I've yet to play this but the reviews are pretty good. The wife is out tonight, so it's biscuits & Angel Delight for dinner and [hopefully] scaring myself with Res7...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:28 - 22 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
I'm thinking of buying a new wheel [and buying the full version of DriveClub VR), I have an old Logitech Driving Force Pro wheel - but they've nobbled it by preventing use on the PS4, so I'm looking at a Thrustmaster T300 (any other recommendations? Not the G29 - Logitech can do one)

It's a good wheel, I have the TX (Xbox ver.). Get the 3 pedal set, the 2 pedal set with the standard wheel's crap, although you might not notice a difference coming from the DFP (I upgraded from a G27) Smile £50 more but worth it IMO (T3PA pedals are £75 normally).

Also I didn't like the rim with my TX, it was plasticy and gave me blisters. Unfortunately the Ferrari Alcantara edition's OOS (seems to be everywhere), otherwise it's a bit of a steal at only a further £50 more (the rim sells for over £100).

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:38 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Unfortunately the Ferrari Alcantara edition's OOS (seems to be everywhere), otherwise it's a bit of a steal at only a further £50 more (the rim sells for over £100).

I have this, although it's sometimes a pain to remember what button does what. The button numbering is all over the place. Also wished it had a couple more buttons (PC).

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:24 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going wrote:
M.C wrote:
Unfortunately the Ferrari Alcantara edition's OOS (seems to be everywhere), otherwise it's a bit of a steal at only a further £50 more (the rim sells for over £100).

I have this, although it's sometimes a pain to remember what button does what. The button numbering is all over the place. Also wished it had a couple more buttons (PC).

I've got the leather GT wheel (same button layout) and it was a bit confusing at first on the Xbox. Get the F1 rim', plenty of buttons Razz

https://www.box.co.uk/system/productimage.aspx?id=989336&quality=90&maxwidth=500&maxheight=350

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

It's a good wheel, I have the TX (Xbox ver.). Get the 3 pedal set, the 2 pedal set with the standard wheel's crap, although you might not notice a difference coming from the DFP (I upgraded from a G27) Smile £50 more but worth it IMO (T3PA pedals are £75 normally).

Also I didn't like the rim with my TX, it was plasticy and gave me blisters. Unfortunately the Ferrari Alcantara edition's OOS (seems to be everywhere), otherwise it's a bit of a steal at only a further £50 more (the rim sells for over £100).

Blisters - how much sim driving do you do?! The DFP was fairly crap, but I don't recall ever getting a blister - and I wasted enjoyed many an hour on LFS (this is part of the reason I want DriveClub VR - I used to use a DIY head tracking thing that used IR LEDs and the webcam, I always wanted a race seat/three monitor setup - but having a VR and a folding seat should give me a good result with much less space required - albeit at a relatively poor resolution - but the gameplay/immersion is more important for me)
Cheers for the tip though, I think I'll go for the three pedal RS T300 (for £250) - looks to tick all the boxes.

Next up, Playseat Challenge - I don't think the wife would be pleased with a full-on race seat, but a fold-away one should be ok.

The one thing I'm most surprised about is not needing my glasses when using VR - I first used the PSVR with my glasses on and it was fine, but I thought I'd give it a spin without them (I'm long sighted and can't read my phone without squinting) - but when I put the headset on, everything is perfectly in focus. (Focus set to inifinity...blablabla - it's just old fashioned witchcraft eye magic, plain and simple)

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:19 - 23 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
Blisters - how much sim driving do you do?! The DFP was fairly crap, but I don't recall ever getting a blister - and I wasted enjoyed many an hour on LFS (this is part of the reason I want DriveClub VR - I used to use a DIY head tracking thing that used IR LEDs and the webcam, I always wanted a race seat/three monitor setup - but having a VR and a folding seat should give me a good result with much less space required - albeit at a relatively poor resolution - but the gameplay/immersion is more important for me)
Cheers for the tip though, I think I'll go for the three pedal RS T300 (for £250) - looks to tick all the boxes.

Next up, Playseat Challenge - I don't think the wife would be pleased with a full-on race seat, but a fold-away one should be ok.

The one thing I'm most surprised about is not needing my glasses when using VR - I first used the PSVR with my glasses on and it was fine, but I thought I'd give it a spin without them (I'm long sighted and can't read my phone without squinting) - but when I put the headset on, everything is perfectly in focus. (Focus set to inifinity...blablabla - it's just old fashioned witchcraft eye magic, plain and simple)

Not too much now, the problem with the TX wheel (with the 458 rim) was they put screw holes right where you held the wheel, and the material didn't help either. I raced LFS for a little while, it was my first online experience, but then I moved onto nKPro and played that loads.

I think that playseat has a weak pedal deck but you should be ok with those pedals, if you had modified (stiffer) pedals or a set with a load cell it might not be. Going back to LFS and keeping it on topic (Smile), it has decent vR support despite being DX9, and is popular among vR users with lower spec machines. Too expensive for what's an old barely supported game though Confused

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 22:28 - 25 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about PSVR as I have the Vive but regarding glasses... there's a company which will send you prescription lenses so you can replace the standard ones an not have to worry about glasses (pretty neat actually).

https://vr-lens-lab.com/

Also replacement covers...

https://vrcover.com/shop/

Alan1986
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:56 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already own a psvr but bought a pc recently, is it worth getting vive as well?

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 14:23 - 02 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering selling my PSVR Neutral

It's bloody brilliant, totally amazing but I just don't use it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 292 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6