BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dazzling by low sun

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

mkjackary
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:17 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some cheap polarised sunnies on ebay, like under a fiver. See if they work for you, if they do, *then* get a perscription set, if that floats your boat.

or even try this

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkjackary wrote:
try this

Ordered! Thanks a lot Thumbs Up
Watch this space...

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunstrips on visors work quite well, I'm a fan. Tape on internal sunvisors also works well, it's best on a visor with a variable position rather than one that is either up or down.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
mkjackary wrote:
try this

Watch this space

So. My £1.99 eBay polarised clip-ons are here. Turns out they are absolutely fine for viewing both my bike's instrument panel and the satnav, so that's good. All I need now is a sunny day to test the dazzle-reduction properties (so, expect to read about that in a few months or so... Rolling Eyes)

What is quite interesting though, is that if I tilt my head to exactly 45 degrees, the bike's LCD display does indeed go completely black. Shouldn't be a major concern unless I go completely bananas with sideways nodding at vast hordes of oncoming fellow bikers. I'm guessing that somewhere (whether it's by the manufacturer of the display or the sunglasses) this is a designed-in feature to avoid the whole issue of blacked-out instrument clusters.

Although, as I say, not tried the sunnies out in anger yet but they are well-made, attach firmly, come with a hard case, are UK-supplied - extraordinarily good value IMO. No they don't look particularly cool (cos clipons) but hey, I wear hi-viz so should be able to live with them if they work. Probably wouldn't even bother with expensive prescription lenses - these are small enough to slide into jeans pocket in their case, or stash under the seat Thumbs Up

mkjackary
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:19 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Watch this space

So. My £1.99 eBay polarised clip-ons are here. Turns out they are absolutely fine for viewing both my bike's instrument panel and the satnav, so that's good. All I need now is a sunny day to test the dazzle-reduction properties (so, expect to read about that in a few months or so... Rolling Eyes)

What is quite interesting though, is that if I tilt my head to exactly 45 degrees, the bike's LCD display does indeed go completely black. Shouldn't be a major concern unless I go completely bananas with sideways nodding at vast hordes of oncoming fellow bikers. I'm guessing that somewhere (whether it's by the manufacturer of the display or the sunglasses) this is a designed-in feature to avoid the whole issue of blacked-out instrument clusters.

Although, as I say, not tried the sunnies out in anger yet but they are well-made, attach firmly, come with a hard case, are UK-supplied - extraordinarily good value IMO. No they don't look particularly cool (cos clipons) but hey, I wear hi-viz so should be able to live with them if they work. Probably wouldn't even bother with expensive prescription lenses - these are small enough to slide into jeans pocket in their case, or stash under the seat Thumbs Up
the 45° thing just happens with LCD displays if you have polarised lenses, it's good because atleast you know they really are polarised and not just tinted.

If you look at a car windscreen without the glasses on, and then with them on, the reflections completely disappear. Something's look a bit wierd, first couple of sunny rides with mine on they were almost a distraction because it can cause some wierd rainbow-ey artifacts on things, and make the sky a bit purple. But it really works well against low sun and reflections.

And at 1.99 you can afford to replace it when you inevitably lose them like I always do Very Happy

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 21:04 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Glad you ran with my recommendation of polarised glasses, I bought Maui Jim ones mainly because I am a ponce but they do work very well, but I severely doubt they are 121x better than your eBay clip on solution.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 364 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2