BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Alternative housing solutions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:34 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in a communal house once. Huge place, used to be a hotel.

Shopping was interesting, 4 trollies of food, one was just spuds, once just milk, one just bread.

cheap rent though Thumbs Up

and, no, it was not a squat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Gist of the show seems to be, either:
1. Get parents to give you a building & then convert building
or
2. Have parents with a farm and pitch up on their land with some sort of hipster caravan

It should be called "How to move back in with mum and dad while pretending you're not"

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:48 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that her riches-to-more-riches story appears to be "Converted mumsy and dadsy's massive garage, sold converted garage as house, rinse, repeat," that seems pretty accurate.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
This guy bought woodland, used wood from land to build a house.
https://ben-law.co.uk/portfolio/the-woodland-house/

IIRC, the house must be demolished if he sells the land.

That looks like the guy who was on Grand Designs. If it is the same guy then it was a very particular set of circumstances: he got planning permission under some old bylaw or summat because he works the woodland making charcoal and is therefore allowed to build a dwelling on said woodland.
If he moves, or dies (or even stops working the woodland maybe?) planning is removed and it must be demolished.

He partially financed the build with free labour by advertising it on eco warrior boards as an opportunity to learn and experience eco building. He gave them food and a space to pitch a tent in exchange for their labour.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also used to stay for free in a youth hostel, in my own single room with free meals etc, in exchange for doing some ground work on the 5 acres of land they had Thumbs Up

though that wasn't really alternative accommodation, more working holiday territory
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:05 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
CaNsA wrote:
This guy bought woodland, used wood from land to build a house.
https://ben-law.co.uk/portfolio/the-woodland-house/

IIRC, the house must be demolished if he sells the land.

That looks like the guy who was on Grand Designs. If it is the same guy then it was a very particular set of circumstances: he got planning permission under some old bylaw or summat because he works the woodland making charcoal and is therefore allowed to build a dwelling on said woodland.
If he moves, or dies (or even stops working the woodland maybe?) planning is removed and it must be demolished.

He partially financed the build with free labour by advertising it on eco warrior boards as an opportunity to learn and experience eco building. He gave them food and a space to pitch a tent in exchange for their labour.

The website wrote:
Built in 2001, the woodland house was the building that brought ‘roundwood timber framing’ to the public eye. Filmed for channel 4 for Grand Designs, the episode known as ‘the woodsman’s cottage’ was voted the public’s and presenter Kevin McCloud’s all time favourite Grand Design.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:14 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the guy was also a master craftsman. I can put together ikea furniture but a house Thinking

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I believe the guy was also a master craftsman. I can put together ikea furniture but a house Thinking

I can put together a house but, Ikea furniture? Hand

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:25 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Given that her riches-to-more-riches story appears to be "Converted mumsy and dadsy's massive garage, sold converted garage as house, rinse, repeat," that seems pretty accurate.

Not watched the second episode yet, but buying a garage's also somethig I've considered. There are some garages I know of where one has been converted, I'm sure the owners of the others will apply for planning permission then sell it on for a small fortune, but if you could get one for garage money (so about 20k+ in London Rolling Eyes) it might be worthwhile.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circa 10k for a garage in a block around here but single brick wall construction and tin roof. No electrics or sewage. And not in an area where I'd want to be 'the bloke who lives in a garage and pisses in a bottle'.

What you really need is an outbuilding of some sort on its own land and now you're back into 'Mum and Dad subbing a 100k slice of their smallholding' territory.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:41 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the one I'm on about (dibs on the other garage): https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5452443,-0.1019657,3a,48.1y,237.06h,95.91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDiF08up0VzbxTBK3BIT2Ug!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Could be business use but something like that would be really decent. You could ride the bike in and have one step to the sofa... that's the dream Wub

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:16 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got bored with rent prices in Milton Keynes so I bought a narrowboat.

Currently pay £110 a month for a private mooring in a private marina with a gated carpark, space for my own shed if I wanted one.

Other costs would be maintenance and boat license which probably comes to £1k-£1.5k a year.

Absolute bargain really, the boat cost <17k and I spent maybe 2k doing things to it.

Not actually experienced living on it properly as I have been working abroad for the last 10 months but definitely a low cost way of living.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:54 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
I got bored with rent prices in Milton Keynes so I bought a narrowboat.

Currently pay £110 a month for a private mooring in a private marina with a gated carpark, space for my own shed if I wanted one.

Other costs would be maintenance and boat license which probably comes to £1k-£1.5k a year.

Absolute bargain really, the boat cost <17k and I spent maybe 2k doing things to it.

Not actually experienced living on it properly as I have been working abroad for the last 10 months but definitely a low cost way of living.

Trouble is it has become the defacto way of cutting housing costs, especially in cities (read London) and the number of people doing it has sky rocketed. The infrastructure is creaking under the weight with water points, elsan disposal at a premium.

Saying all that it is certainly cheap. I was continuous cruising in London (meaning I paid no mooring fees and no council tax) so it cost me £850 a year for my licence and about £400 a year for diesel (including heating). So for about £100 a month I was living in London, in my own place with all mod cons and usually moored pretty near a pub. Thumbs Up

That is cheap enough to give Brummie Dave an orgasm!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:26 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm. 10 million Londoners scrabbling for every square centimetron of free space. A few hundred? Thousand? Mooring positions on the Thames.

It doesn't scale up. It can't scale up. It's not a solution to the problem of London.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:14 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Trouble is it has become the defacto way of cutting housing costs, especially in cities (read London) and the number of people doing it has sky rocketed. The infrastructure is creaking under the weight with water points, elsan disposal at a premium.

Saying all that it is certainly cheap. I was continuous cruising in London (meaning I paid no mooring fees and no council tax) so it cost me £850 a year for my licence and about £400 a year for diesel (including heating). So for about £100 a month I was living in London, in my own place with all mod cons and usually moored pretty near a pub. Thumbs Up

That is cheap enough to give Brummie Dave an orgasm!

Yeah I agree. I saw moorings in London for tens of thousands per year to rent. I wonder what the CRT will do, just keep accepting the money for more boats or limit it.

If the government relaxed the rules on living out of a van, I am sure a lot more people would do that rather than live on a boat. Even less expense required there.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
This is the one I'm on about (dibs on the other garage): https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5452443,-0.1019657,3a,48.1y,237.06h,95.91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDiF08up0VzbxTBK3BIT2Ug!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Could be business use but something like that would be really decent. You could ride the bike in and have one step to the sofa... that's the dream Wub

FFS, London is going the same way as a Delhi slum, but more expensive and slightly better cleanliness.

Instead of looking at downsizing, isn't there any way of earning more crust?
Just work 24h a day and you won't need to have dingy digs anywhere.

Seriously, there comes a point where you have to draw the line between quality of life and living / working in a certain area.

Move up here, unlike Venezuela we'll only bum scuttle you once a week.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
M.C wrote:

FFS, London is going the same way as a Delhi slum, but more expensive and slightly better cleanliness.

Instead of looking at downsizing, isn't there any way of earning more crust?
Just work 24h a day and you won't need to have dingy digs anywhere.

Seriously, there comes a point where you have to draw the line between quality of life and living / working in a certain area.

Move up here, unlike Venezuela we'll only bum scuttle you once a week.

If I'm going to leave London (which I do want to) it'll be to somewhere less shit, not equal to or greater than Wink The money situation's depressing, 21k and still living at home, all I could afford is a bedsit. A pal up your way has a mortgage on the same salary, that costs him less than I pay to the council (for the luxury of living at home).

Found an old rental ad' for that converted garage: https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/101-canonbury-road/london/n1-2xb/30004640 Shocked

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ pure comedy that link! The lunatics are taking over the asylum down there, get out before nurse Ratched comes round with the medication trolley.

Best be quick though as the same thing is going on in a lot of other areas.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:
A couple of blokes at work live on parks and they have a 10 year age limit on their vans - so at 10 years old, it has to be removed, sold and a new one bought and sited.

Have you seen how much those fucking things cost? Absolute poverty ones start at £15K, right up to £80K!

Some sites force you to buy the caravan through them too, so you can't even shop around.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 330 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3