Absolute Mother of a Siezed Axle

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:21 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
I just bought a dead blow hammer and a set of punches (that go up to 9.5mm). I'm gonna have to buy a new rear axle anyway, so I'm going to hammer the living daylights out of it until it gets the fuck out... tomorrow, as I just put the kids to bed.

If you're going to replace the axle anyway don't whack it out - cut the head off and pull it out with the nut. Once you've pulled it so far through that the nut has used up all the thread just un-do the nut and fit spacers to give you another load of pull. If you find that the load is too tight and likely to strip the thread you can combine turning the nut with drifting the bolt, if you have someone to help. One on the spanner, the other with a hammer and drift. Use plenty of grease on the threads to stop the nut galling.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Axles are pretty soft

I am not so sure.I asked a workshop to chop off the end of an unused rear wheel axle so that I could use it for other purposes and they told me that they went through a number of big hacksaw blades on their machine before they managed to cut through it Shocked

As for seized nuts,I bought one of these from Lidls (or was it Aldi) on the say so of the BCF massif and it worked a treat on numerous items on the FJ1200 when I was working on it

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Workshop/20160821_171533_zpsbvlcxv3q.jpg

£20 wll spent Thumbs Up

Always have a 'Plan B'

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is it off?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:38 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's off. I was hammering it again at the weekend and it wasn't budging any further. My neighbour came out and said, I have just the thing.

He came back with a ball joint splitter. I'd never heard of one, but it did the trick.

https://images.lteplatform.com/images/products/600x600/AK382.jpg

I totally mushroomed the axle though, so I went to the local Suzuki dealer and bought a new one, as the ones on eBay were just as expensive, second hand and probably for the older model. £40 including both sets of bearings.
They should be delivered on Friday, ready for me to fuck the next thing up on the weekend.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:32 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
Pete. wrote:
Axles are pretty soft

I am not so sure.I asked a workshop to chop off the end of an unused rear wheel axle so that I could use it for other purposes and they told me that they went through a number of big hacksaw blades on their machine before they managed to cut through it Shocked

As for seized nuts,I bought one of these from Lidls (or was it Aldi) on the say so of the BCF massif and it worked a treat on numerous items on the FJ1200 when I was working on it

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Workshop/20160821_171533_zpsbvlcxv3q.jpg

£20 wll spent Thumbs Up

I bought one as well but have never used it Embarassed
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 352 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2