Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Derbi Cross City 125 - No Spark

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

niallac
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:55 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Derbi Cross City 125 - No Spark Reply with quote

Folks,
I have just acquired a Derbi Cross City 125, which uses a venerable Honda 4T airhead single cylinder carburettor engine. I picked it up on Thursday and rode it home 150 miles without incident, including stopping and restarting the engine several times.

I tried to start it again yesterday, it fired a few times, but wouldn't run. On inspection, I saw that the plug was loose in its socket in the bore. I tried turning it over in the dark with the plug earthed on the cooling fins, and there was no spark. I got a new plug today, and still nothing. There is plenty of fresh fuel in the carb, the engine turns over strongly, but no spark. My next step will be replacing the plug lead and testing the coil against Honda resistance specs.

This bike was intended as a daily driver, and I don't have a viable alternative. Any ideas? I can't believe that the coil or cdi would have failed on a 6-month old bike.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have a 2 year warranty.

niallac
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:18 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:

Yup, but nearest dealer is some distance away, I don't have a van, and I don't have much time.

Paulf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:14 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it fired a few times but would not run on, then you found the spark plug was not sparking. Sorry to ask did you push the lead on fully...just a thought. Because you must have had a spark. Then putting derbi cross city in Google suggest there is a problem with the fuel filler lid and causing a air lock. Is the plug getting wet and did you fill up during 150 miles. Things to look for before look at ignition coil and leads. Good luck
Past bikes simsom mofa 1s, suzuki hustler 250 (£35 in 1973), suzuki ts125k, mz150, yamaha yb 100, honda pc50, honda vision 50, all 2 stroke - then cars - honda pcx 125 (sold) own honda fes 125 and Mrs 125 spares or repairs. Started 1972 all accidents walked away no insurAnce claims
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

niallac
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 06:56 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulf wrote:
If it fired a few times but would not run on, then you found the spark plug was not sparking. Sorry to ask did you push the lead on fully...just a thought. Because you must have had a spark. Then putting derbi cross city in Google suggest there is a problem with the fuel filler lid and causing a air lock. Is the plug getting wet and did you fill up during 150 miles. Things to look for before look at ignition coil and leads. Good luck

Hi Paul, no problem with fuelling, the plug gets wet after a few attempts at starting, I fuelled it twice in the 150 miles. It's got a full tank of BP Ultimate 97 right now. I've had the lead off to change the plug, the lead in screwed securely onto the cap. Not to say it's not damaged though. Will get the right side panel off tomorrow and inspect the coil connections.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:56 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

niallac wrote:
jaffa90 wrote:

Yup, but nearest dealer is some distance away, I don't have a van, and I don't have much time.

Well bang goes warranty then.... Embarassed

niallac
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:57 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, but nearest dealer is some distance away, I don't have a van, and I don't have much time.[/quote]

Well bang goes warranty then.... Embarassed[/quote]

Yup, pretty much. Tried Piaggio Group customer service today, but closed due to public holiday. Will let you know how I get on.

Paulf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:22 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think there is not much wrong with it, the bike was firing, at most a plug cap. I looked at the internet to see what a derbi cross city looked like they look a nice bike. Are you kick starting the bike, if one fitted, or starter.
Anyhow a list to follow trouble shooting guide for the latter ones you will need a multimeter approx £10 ebay/Amazon and workshop manual.or haynes manual for the intricacies for your bike. I doubt it is 5,6 or 7
No spark
1. Battery voltage weak.
2. Spark plug fouled or defective.
3. Spark plug cap defective.
4. Spark plug not making contact.
5. Pulse generator coil defective.
6. Ignition coil defective.
7. Ecu defective.
Past bikes simsom mofa 1s, suzuki hustler 250 (£35 in 1973), suzuki ts125k, mz150, yamaha yb 100, honda pc50, honda vision 50, all 2 stroke - then cars - honda pcx 125 (sold) own honda fes 125 and Mrs 125 spares or repairs. Started 1972 all accidents walked away no insurAnce claims
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

niallac
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:02 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulf wrote:
I honestly think there is not much wrong with it, the bike was firing, at most a plug cap. I looked at the internet to see what a derbi cross city looked like they look a nice bike. Are you kick starting the bike, if one fitted, or starter.
Anyhow a list to follow trouble shooting guide for the latter ones you will need a multimeter approx £10 ebay/Amazon and workshop manual.or haynes manual for the intricacies for your bike. I doubt it is 5,6 or 7
No spark
1. Battery voltage weak.
2. Spark plug fouled or defective.
3. Spark plug cap defective.
4. Spark plug not making contact.
5. Pulse generator coil defective.
6. Ignition coil defective.
7. Ecu defective.

Hi mate, thanks for the moral support!

Been maintaining Jap and other m/cs since 15 years back. I doubt it is 1. As the bike has a 6-month old Yuasa fitted and turns over endlessly and strongly on the electric start. Not 2. As I have put in a brand new NGK plug of the correct grade. I sincerely hope we are looking at 3. or 4., or I hate the world and everything in it Wink I bought this bike as a minimal-maintenance commuter, so it is bothersome that it has ceased to run... Will give it a thorough workout tomorrow with my Amprobe multimeter and report back. I have a horrible feeling that the loose plug has melted a potentially crap HT coil.

Last edited by niallac on 23:11 - 01 May 2017; edited 1 time in total

Paulf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree sounds simple I work on spares and repair non runners and I have never come across 5,6 & 7. I listed everything in order I did not think it was battery.

niallac
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:16 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulf wrote:
I agree sounds simple I work on spares and repair non runners and I have never come across 5,6 & 7. I listed everything in order I did not think it was battery.

Yep, have experience with old and new bikes, really hope this is as simple as a new lead or cap. Your assistance and experience as a sounding board is MASSIVELY appreciated. Starting to get a touch of tunnel - vision here due to a lot of recent bad luck with bikes. Sad

niallac
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:50 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks, thanks for all of your helpful suggestions.

The plug cap was a really nasty unbranded, hard plastic number. The screw-down connection to the lead was badly rusted, so I replaced plug cap and lead, and it now runs nicely.

Paulf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:00 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant it had to be simple
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 358 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1