Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

KTM Duke 390 - 950 miles usage how much? Quite a bit to this

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

DottyDuck
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:00 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: KTM Duke 390 - 950 miles usage how much? Quite a bit to this Reply with quote

Bonjour BCF humans!! I am hoping you can assist me in what has been a horrendous experience. In brief: I have had issues with my KTM Duke 390 ever since buying it. The dealership has had 2 opportunities to fix it and have failed on both occasions they also were meant to make repairs to the frame and engine guards which they scratched and to put it bluntly they may as well not have bothered.

With all of that I spoke to the finance, and they were not helpful and basically fobbed me off. Thankfully the financial ombudsman have been great and the finance company have agreed to the proposal presented. Within this proposal it states that I will get money back for the motorbike minus the mileage which is 950 miles.

So basically I paid 3.5k for the bike and it has 950 miles. At the time the bike was brand new and the dealer knocked 1k of the RRP. I have seen a couple of Duke 390s that are older than my bike with less milage which are selling for totals which is less than £100 which i paid. I have also seen bikes of the same age which are selling for 3.5K with less mileage. There is a couple, although they are rare but they are out there, which are selling for more than £3500 and have less milage. I have said this to the investigator and she says that I still used the motorbike to get 950 miles and therefore some money will be taken off.

So, how much do you think is fair? Question

Thumbs Up Smile

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: KTM Duke 390 - 950 miles usage how much? Quite a bit to Reply with quote

DottyDuck wrote:
Within this proposal it states that I will get money back for the motorbike minus the mileage which is 950 miles.

So, how much do you think is fair? Question

Thumbs Up Smile

How much money you will get back?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it me or do KTM sound a bit Chinese bike manufacturer and distributor like?

They seem to discount a fair bit or sell bikes at reduced prices, but then offer sweet fuck all dealer comeback or warranty support afterwards maybe?

I see the KTM 125EXC is about £5500 otr, which though is £1000 ish more than a Yamaha WR125R, is also noticeably cheaper than some 125cc enduro or motard bikes.

Not sure what I'd pick, as though you get alot more bike in an EXC than a WR125R for £1k more, the Yamaha might hold more value for longer and be in much higher demand due to a big name dealer network and support, and also because it's legal for all licence categorys, so used demand should be far higher. Most people buying say a 5year old KTM125, would expect it to have had serious use and be ready for a full bike rebuild, in the same way as a well used/raced 5year old MX bike is pretty well fit for scrap or sinking a fortune into to fix uneconomically.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DottyDuck
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:38 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: KTM Duke 390 - 950 miles usage how much? Quite a bit to Reply with quote

Val wrote:
How much money you will get back?

Sorry, I just realised I haven't made this clear. Embarassed I am to get back all the payments I have made so far as well as the deposit and the money spent on accessories which cannot be used on a different bike. I still have about 1100 left on finance so the contract will be finished, I will owe them no money but will (gladly) return the bike. They will owe me all the payments I have made and the deposit. However I am expected to lose a bit of money on mileage. I am hoping someone will tell me what is a fair price for the mileage I have done!

Quote:

To be fair the dealership were happy to take it back but by that point I had had enough. The bike was still stalling for no reason and then the paint "repair" was just ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ1IQ_BNuOs&t=5s

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:53 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: KTM Duke 390 - 950 miles usage how much? Quite a bit to Reply with quote

DottyDuck wrote:
I have also seen bikes of the same age which are selling for 3.5K with less mileage.

Asking.

Selling (well, bidding) prices are £3350 for a 315 miler, and downwards from there. Have a look on eBay, advanced search -> sold listings.

Sorry to hear that you've got (yet another) lemon example. Some of those stalls could have ended unpleasantly. I'd have lost all confidence in that bike as well, I completely agree with getting rid of it before it gets rid of you. I reckon I'd by happy taking a £250 loss to be shot of it, unhappy at £500, but I'd chalk it up to expensive experience.

It's a damn shame that the quality is all over the place. If it were reliable, I'd definitely be in the market for a 390.

... not yours though.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long have you had it?

Is this a 2016 bike?

2016, 1,164 miles, £3,350

2016, 2,922 miles, £3,794

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:33 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

HMRC set the rates at 24p per mile (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rates-and-allowances-travel-mileage-and-fuel-allowances/travel-mileage-and-fuel-rates-and-allowances) for claiming business use off tax which also includes fuel as well as wear and tear. So based off this you could argue £228.

Or you could look at those 950 miles in terms of hire bike prices and get no money back... Hmm..

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:43 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: KTM Duke 390 - 950 miles usage how much? Quite a bit to Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It's a damn shame that the quality is all over the place. If it were reliable, I'd definitely be in the market for a 390.

... not yours though.

For a while I've been questioning how the 125/200/390 can all be made in India, and are AFAIK basically the same bike, yet the 390's somehow better?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:14 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: KTM Duke 390 - 950 miles usage how much? Quite a bit to Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
yet the 390's somehow better?

Perhaps just that there are more 125s around therefore more sad owners.

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=duke+125&commit=Search

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=duke+390&commit=Search

The (non) longevity of the 125 may be informative. In Q2 2012 the original model peaked at 461 taxed + 4 SORNed. In Q4 2016, it was down to 250 taxed, 101 SORNed (i.e. fvcked), and 114 vanished.

All bikes show the same pattern eventually, but the rate of abandonment among what's sold as a premium 125 is disappointing.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:40 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take a look at your finance agreement and see what the excess mileage charge is and start there. For cars its generally 6-8p per mile. On that basis, you'll be looking at £80 in mileage.

I suspect however, you wont get that lucky! Whilst I agree with your position and they should take the whole hit and not leave you out of pocket, various parties will be trying to reduce their (substantial) losses.

Out of interest, what exactly is wrong with it?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:42 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:

FBS.

Fvcked Bike Syndrome.

It keeps cutting out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ1IQ_BNuOs&t=5s

I wouldn't ride that, you're gagging to get White Van Man inserted up your tailpipe.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:46 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: KTM Duke 390 - 950 miles usage how much? Quite a bit to Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:
yet the 390's somehow better?

Perhaps just that there are more 125s around therefore more sad owners.

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=duke+125&commit=Search

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=duke+390&commit=Search

The (non) longevity of the 125 may be informative. In Q2 2012 the original model peaked at 461 taxed + 4 SORNed. In Q4 2016, it was down to 250 taxed, 101 SORNed (i.e. fvcked), and 114 vanished.

All bikes show the same pattern eventually, but the rate of abandonment among what's sold as a premium 125 is disappointing.

Don't forget KTMs get stolen a lot Smile

Rogerborg wrote:
B5234FT wrote:

FBS.

Fvcked Bike Syndrome.

It keeps cutting out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ1IQ_BNuOs&t=5s

I wouldn't ride that, you're gagging to get White Van Man inserted up your tailpipe.

That's my bike on a normal day Embarassed Except it normally fires back up. Allegedly the 690's do it too.

Last edited by M.C on 10:48 - 28 Apr 2017; edited 1 time in total

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:47 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah i missed the comment about scratches and wondered wtf they were repairing on the frame of a 1000 mile old bike!

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: KTM Duke 390 - 950 miles usage how much? Quite a bit to Reply with quote

DottyDuck wrote:

I get that feelin too Thumbs Up

KTM bikes manufactured in India, but a majority of the parts (nearly 80% I think), are localized. This helps tremendously in reducing cost of parts, which would otherwise have been imported and slapped with custom duty.

Val wrote:

To be fair the dealership were happy to take it back but by that point I had had enough. The bike was still stalling for no reason and then the paint "repair" was just ridiculous.

so even the dealership recognise the machine is not of merchantable quality Rolling Eyes

DottyDuck
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:15 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: KTM Duke 390 - 950 miles usage how much? Quite a bit to Reply with quote

Thank you for all the replies Smile

Rogerborg wrote:

Some of those stalls could have ended unpleasantly. I'd have lost all confidence in that bike as well, I completely agree with getting rid of it before it gets rid of you.

Lmao, oh Rogerborg, I have missed your straight to the point comments. Laughing Very Happy Thumbs Up

Quote:
HMRC set the rates at 24p per mile (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rates-and-allowances-travel-mileage-and-fuel-allowances/travel-mileage-and-fuel-rates-and-allowances) for claiming business use off tax which also includes fuel as well as wear and tear. So based off this you could argue £228.

Quote:
I'd take a look at your finance agreement and see what the excess mileage charge is and start there. For cars its generally 6-8p per mile. On that basis, you'll be looking at £80 in mileage.

Thank you for these suggestions Thumbs Up as you can probably tell I never thought of this. Thumbs Up

It seems the prices of Dukes vary- I have noticed they seem to have a higher price on autotrader.

Quote:

so even the dealership recognise the machine is not of merchantable quality

I contacted them directly asking if we could come to some sort of arrangement as I was not happy with the services/ repairs the Duke had received. They unsurprisingly said they couldn't do that but did offer to sell it on my behalf. Obviously this was not an option which was why I went to the finance company to complain as I have an agreement/ contract with them.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell them you want a proper KTM in exchange, one that's built in the real factory and has had all the £ spent on development. The new fuel injected range of 2stroke 250/300's would be where I'd be pointing as I throw them the keys. Laughing

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:25 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you simply reject the bike as "Unfit for purpose"?

Really, why should you be out of pocket at all?

(Saying that, I'd probably take a £500 hit just to be rid of the fecker...)
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

I presume this bike was new? It will have lost a damn sight more than £228 as soon as it was ridden out of the showroom.

doesn't matter, unfit for purpose, could simply sell a load of fucked bikes, get them back in a week and take of hundreds due to depreciation from leaving the showroom

DottyDuck
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:24 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

I presume this bike was new? It will have lost a damn sight more than £228 as soon as it was ridden out of the showroom.

Residual values are based on far more than mileage. If the finance is already down to the last third, how many years have you had it?

I totally understand your point but I have had nothing but issues ever since buying it Thumbs Down . If I didn't have these issues and I wasn't treated like an idiot then I would keep the bike Sad.

Here is what happened: (Teffers eat your heart out...)

So, it all started in a land far, far away..... Ok, I will be serious now. I wanted to upgrade my Kawasaki zr7 as I wanted something younger and lighter. I saw a ktm duke 390 online and noticed it ticked all the boxes: IMO it looks awesome, decent mpg, cheap insurance and you can get quite a few customisable parts to make it your own.

I phoned the dealer saying I was interested in purchasing a new Duke 390 and wanted a test ride. He was completely fine with this so we arranged a date and I took my sister with me for company on the 60- 70 minute trip there.

When we got there the people that worked there were nice and friendly and the owner checked my driving licence and asked me a few questions. I got the impression he was trying to catch me out but I understood why he did that. I went out on the test ride and left my car keys. I really liked the bike and enjoyed the test ride so when I got back I decided there and then that I wanted to put a deposit down.

I wanted the Duke 390 in white and the dealer had some black 390s in stock as well but the white one which had a Scorpion exhaust fitted. He showed me the bike and it looked good- he started the bike to let it idle and it sounded sweeeet! Definitely better than the akra... (cannot spell it). So I said I will go for this one. He wanted money for the exhaust, although I imagine he got it for free, and he asked for £200 which I thought was reasonable as they RRP at over £400 so we were both happy by this.

I was needing to sell my motorbike at the time and also was going on holiday so I told the owner about this and he was accomodating and said he would keep the bike until I got back, aslong as I kept making payments- which I was happy about. Although the way it worked, it would have been delayed as the lowering kit took a while before being dispatched.

I went back through to the dealership a few times as I wanted some extras and wanted to check I was elligble for the finance. I spent a fair chunk on extras and the finance came back fine so all was good. One of these accessories was a lowering kit but these were not going to be back in stock at Austria until a month later so the way it worked, even if I wasn't on holiday I would have still had to wait.

Fast forward to after the holiday and the month period had passed and the lowering kit was going to take another month before it was back in stock. The dealership owner said he is willing to be the bits seperately but the shorter side stand isn't in stock so he said he is going to take mine to a local engineer to get it shortened and then put back on the bike. I said I have no issue with this as long as the paint won't be affected, the owner reassured me it would be fine and that was that.

When my motorbike finally arrived, I literally felt as if I had waited for years as I was so excited to finally get my hands on it. It came out the van and the owner wheeled it up the drive for me and he came in the house to sort the paper work out. All was fine, we looked over the bike and I noticed that there were a few accessories that weren't fitted- the crash bungs on the front forks and also the KTM grips I bought. He also forgot to add in the box of standard parts such as the exhaust- this was a bit frustrating as he said he would bring these as well but these things happen.

(EDIT: I did pay for the parts to be fitted)

Here is a pic which show some accessories missing-

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14322357_10154569122074264_4127333807252942069_n.jpg?oh=e405e01f223396b084f2085cd6e2ba6e&oe=597A4230

The owner said he would fit the other accessories at the first service. Within the first few weeks I noticed an issue with the bike as it would stall for no reason. I had looked online and seen other people had this issue but it generally improved with putting miles on so I phoned the dealer and made him aware of the issue and discussed my findings. We agreed that I would persevere and wait until the 600 mile service.

However, the stalling got much worse and as you can see in one of my previous comments there is a link to a video, which I put together, to demonstrate how bad this issue was. The motorbike was also stalling when idling, which was frustrating too. Anyways, I got to the 540 mile mark and by this point it totally annoyed me. My car broke down and I used the Duke to go to uni- I was late which is never a good thing but it was made worse because I was being assessed that day.

(Link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ1IQ_BNuOs&t=5s )

With it putting my safety at risk and also being completely unreliable I phoned the dealer and said I was getting it recovered. I asked them to fix the issue and to do the service as well as fit the parts. They were fine with this and did all of that. They also delivered the bike back for free. I was pleased with this and thought they were decent for gesture and charged me just under £80 which i thought was decent. Although the oil they used was different to the one stated in the manual which I found surprising given the fact it's a 'proper' KTM dealer but I understand they want to keep costs down.

When the bike arrived back home I hoped it would be fixed but this was not the case. I phoned the dealer again to say that the issues were still there and we agreed I would try to put miles on to help the issue.

By this time, about 4 months had passed and while washing the bike I noticed there were a few scratches to the inside of the frame, when I was washing it. I was also gutted to notice that the engine bar had been scratched and touched up, with what seemed to be a marker pen. As well as this, the side stand was chipped and looked rather generally terrible. I got the impression the scratches were caused by someone re installing the spring for the side stand.

https://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o743/DottyDuck/side%20stand%20its%20in%20the%20same%20condition_zpsyotfurgv.jpg

Right side of frame

https://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o743/DottyDuck/damage%20to%20frame%20right%20side%20before_zps6iadxt5x.jpg

Left side of frame

https://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o743/DottyDuck/left%20side%20of%20frame%20touch%20up_zpsdurqpw47.jpg

Engine bar damage

https://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o743/DottyDuck/engine%20bar%20before%20touch%20up_zpssvshel5r.jpg

Shock

https://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o743/DottyDuck/shock%203_zpsiz5b0joj.jpg

https://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o743/DottyDuck/shock%202_zpsvsnarsfh.jpg

There was also a few bits of surface rust on the chain and on one of the nuts. By this point I had had enough and after noticing the shoddy botches that they had attempted on the paint work, as well as the problems mechanically, I thought I better complain in writing so atleast I had proof of this incident happening.

The dealership responded and were happy to have the bike brought in for them to fix all issues including the paint. I organised the recovery and it was taken away. This happened over the Xmas period and I wanted my bike delivered as this was more cost effective than travelling through to collect. With this, they needed a space when they were free to do this so I didn't get the bike back until after New year but it was fair enough and I could have got it sooner if I went to pick it up.

It was early morning and it was still quite dark, the owner turned up and wheeled the bike up the drive. I gave him the cash for delivery and everything was done for free Rolling Eyes. He seemed to want to get away and wasn't in a talkative mood which was fine so off he went.

When the morning got lighter I went out to check the repairs and in all honesty I was totally flabbergasted. The quality of the repairs were debatable and I was really dissapointed. To top it off, I still had the issues with the engine stalling and the fact I spent all my savings on it just totally pissed me off.

Repairs Sad

https://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o743/DottyDuck/ride%20side%20of%20frame%20touch%20up_zpsyc3ndj8i.jpg

https://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o743/DottyDuck/shock%20touch%20ups_zps5crvtn7m.jpg

https://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o743/DottyDuck/engine%20bar%20touch%20up_zpsyfyct1kk.jpg

I looked at my rights and went to the Citizens advice bereu. They were helpful and stated I was entitled to my money back because the issue was present within the first month. They told me to approach the dealer first, failing that the finance company and if they weren't helpful to speak to the Financial Ombudsman.

I rang the dealer up and he just said that I should get the bike recovered etc. I told him I wanted to look at sorting something out as I have lost all faith in the bike but he seemed to fob me off.

I will continue this some other time as this has taken me agessssssss to write Laughing also it will give you all a break from reading this teffer style post :O #walloftext

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:44 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tl;dr version so far:

Dotty: Bike is dangerous to ride.
Dealer: If you don't die it might get better.
Dotty: Okely dokely!

I need closure on this anecdote. Did you die? Bounce!

DottyDuck
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:58 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
tl;dr version so far:

Dotty: Bike is dangerous to ride.
Dealer: If you don't die it might get better.
Dotty: ok thnx bbs xoxoxox

I need closure on this anecdote. Did you die? Bounce!

Corrected that for you Razz

p.s I am still alive!

Rickymc
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:44 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahahahahahaahahahha

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Re: KTM Duke 390 - 950 miles usage how much? Quite a bit to Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:

I get that feelin too Thumbs Up

KTM bikes manufactured in India, but a majority of the parts (nearly 80% I think), are localized. This helps tremendously in reducing cost of parts, which would otherwise have been imported and slapped with custom duty.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 125 and 390 are assembled/manfuctured in India whilst the 690 up is Austria? I've heard the 125's are shoddy, didn't realise it affected the 390's too Confused makes sense though

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:46 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Duke 125 hilarity-fail thread had an Indian resident claiming that the 200s are made to higher standards than the 390s.

I mention this an something that's interesting rather than informative. It's a nation that keeps buying Royal Enfields, after all.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2