Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What have you done to your bike today? Archive.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 252, 253, 254 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Sold it Crying or Very sad

For?

Hand your pass in on the way out.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:04 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
M.C wrote:
Sold it Crying or Very sad

For?

Hand your pass in on the way out.

F**ked Fazer money, unless you mean what am I replacing it with. As my last what bike thread (asking for something lighter and upright) ended up with buy a Fazer (Rolling Eyes), I'm really at a loss with what to get next.

*hands in pass*

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big boy bike. None of this two wheeled car nonsense.

Yeah I mean fireblade.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I'm really at a loss with what to get next.

Sod practicality get something mental before you are to old/boring to do it (or anything fun gets legislated out of existence).

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:26 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Changed the gearbox oil on the TZR.

Took off the n/s carb from the RD and cleaned it out. And gave in the fitting a fuel filter.

And did a few miles on the Cagiva (needed some gearbox oil for the TZR, and the Cagiva appealed for a run).

Then took the TZR for a run into town to get some petrol. I MOTed it in May last year, and despite taxing it I hadn't ridden it since Embarassed

All the best

Katy

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Paddy we've got your next victim here.

I took long enough to decide on my own, I won't prolong your search by dishing out advice.

Chinese 125. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
M.C wrote:

Yup, Street Triple is what M.C needs. You couldn't ask for a lighter upright bike with so much fun factor. And I too have a dodgy back, but had no problems in that regard with the Striple. At least take one for a spin (preferably with the owner's permission, although apparently it's not altogether necessary Laughing ).
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:17 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
NJD wrote:

Yup, Street Triple is what M.C needs. You couldn't ask for a lighter upright bike with so much fun factor. And I too have a dodgy back, but had no problems in that regard with the Striple. At least take one for a spin (preferably with the owner's permission, although apparently it's not altogether necessary Laughing ).

Add me to the 'yes, get a triple of some sort' crowd.

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:17 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

New front pads have got in, old ones were contaminated from leaky fork seals.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:21 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been pushing the front a little recently and thought I'd try linear springs on my Striple as had used them on my SV and preferred them to the progressives on my Striple.

Trouble is, still can't find a supplier of linear springs for the standard ST. So took a gamble on using STR springs which are 7mm longer and 1mm wider than ST springs.

I used a smaller spacer (12mm down to 3mm), but actually, it wasn't required. As with no spacer, the spring was the correct height.
And as it turns out, the added pre-load of having the spacer is not needed.

Old on left, new on right.

https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/170430%20-%20Boingy%20Bits/20170430_180520.resized_zpsmgacvadc.jpg

https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/170430%20-%20Boingy%20Bits/20170430_171929.resized_zpsgryn2828.jpg

I increased the standard air gap by 20% because the spring + spacer weighed 20% more than the original.
Not overly scientific, but have to start somewhere.

Front Sag has gone from 41mm to 18mm

That's a bit too firm. Will try removing the spacer altogether and increasing the air-gap a bit more. If I can get around 25mm then I'll be happy enough to try it on the road. If not, then will have to order lighter springs.

Considering the variables, not a million miles off.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:40 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
Have been pushing the front a little recently and thought I'd try linear springs on my Striple as had used them on my SV and preferred them to the progressives on my Striple.

Trouble is, still can't find a supplier of linear springs for the standard ST. So took a gamble on using STR springs which are 7mm longer and 1mm wider than ST springs.

I used a smaller spacer (12mm down to 3mm), but actually, it wasn't required. As with no spacer, the spring was the correct height.
And as it turns out, the added pre-load of having the spacer is not needed.

Old on left, new on right.

https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/170430%20-%20Boingy%20Bits/20170430_180520.resized_zpsmgacvadc.jpg

https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/170430%20-%20Boingy%20Bits/20170430_171929.resized_zpsgryn2828.jpg

I increased the standard air gap by 20% because the spring + spacer weighed 20% more than the original.
Not overly scientific, but have to start somewhere.

Front Sag has gone from 41mm to 18mm

That's a bit too firm. Will try removing the spacer altogether and increasing the air-gap a bit more. If I can get around 25mm then I'll be happy enough to try it on the road. If not, then will have to order lighter springs.

Considering the variables, not a million miles off.

If you don't have a spacer, will it matter that the spring makes direct contact with the fork given the slight rotation of the end of the spring with contraction/expansion or am I over thinking things?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so due to a 4 month free loan of a car from work and then having to run in a monster 1200s I've finally pulled out the triple from the back of the shed and was I pissed off for putting it away dirty.

So this weekend I went for the preliminary clean, stripped the calipers and cleaned them with a mix of TFR and cillit bang, and then washed them down with brake cleaner and fitted ebc HH pads. Changed the plugs and the airfilter, the airfilter was a piece of piss but the plugs were a mare, had a spanner that would do the job but had to remove the little triangular black frame covers near the headstock so I could pass the spanner through the frame spars, the old plugs weren't very tight, they were the original factory fitted ones, the clean air pipes get in the way a little bit but it's all back together, next the chain and sprockets and back shock, then change the oil and brake fluid...........

SpannerMonkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuffin Nora wrote:

A wise decision, my son . . .
as it's never the greatest idea to go connecting the clutch to a 13A socket! Rolling Eyes

Laughing

HAHAHA! I didnt see it from that angle till you said!!

fluxco
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:43 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
fluxco wrote:

Isn't that going to hit your chest whenever you look down, your shoulder when looking sideways and twat the tank when you tuck in?

It's not bad. The helmet doesn't come that far down and I don't ride in the superbike position. Most of my riding is slightly leant forward so no problem with hitting the tank / chest. Although the GoPro does touch my shoulder slightly with lifesavers.

At full tuck on my NC30 the GoPro looks directly out of the cockpit.

Check it out:

https://youtu.be/GaBKCjdc8qo

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project -
Fixed/bodged sidestand spring by adding an exhaust spring to it.
Bled front and back brakes, discovered rear switch was totally goosed - ordered universal switch.
Discovered clutch cable adjustment seized tight in mount, and no amount of Plusgas was moving it - mount ordered, will order cable when Fowlers decide which one of the 2 they list fits.
Discovered the rad may be holed. Gave up at that point, I'll look when other parts arrive.

Commuter - Chain tension and lube, adjusted clutch cable after 200 miles this weekend.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Watch this space...

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:54 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Yup, Street Triple is what M.C needs. You couldn't ask for a lighter upright bike with so much fun factor.

Get a Spacker 09. Also good for off road riding. Maybe I should have had some hipster knobblies fitted first Thinking
So light two smallish guys can lift one out of a ditch with ease. Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:14 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love one but still too new/expensive. Anyway don't want to turn this into a what bike thread Smile

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Anyway don't want to turn this into a what bike thread Smile

Then shut up and buy a GSXR1100K Laughing

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

New pipes on.

Discovered clutch cable is fraying... And it's a fricken new one.. So that's shit.

https://s14.postimg.org/5fv544hs1/IMG_20170430_165928.jpg

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinigami wrote:
Discovered clutch cable is fraying... And it's a fricken new one.. So that's shit.

What brand? I had a slinky glide cable snap within a year so buy OEM now.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

If you don't have a spacer, will it matter that the spring makes direct contact with the fork given the slight rotation of the end of the spring with contraction/expansion or am I over thinking things?

Initially I thought you were over thinking things.......coming from a person who's raison d'ĂȘtre is over thinking things Smile

So I though about it, waddled back to the man cave and stared at the triumph spacer. Yes its 12mm high, but the sidewalls are so thin mmmmm Thinking
I wonder if it doesn't sit proud of the base, but sinks either side of the damper rod and thus virtually sits flush.
Shone a torch down the stanchion and dropped the Triumph spacer in. From what I could tell it was sitting flush. It's not a spacer at all, but a washer as you said Smile

Cheers Recman Thumbs Up

I've got the latest Haynes and official Triumph Service manual for my bikes VIN, and in both cases the diagrams and explanations for the 2013 standard ST are wrong. The parts are wrong (fork caps, number of spacers/washers). And the fact you undo the damper rod bolt from below the fork leg (you can't there isn't a hole in either leg).

Anyway. Forks out, emptied, 3mm bodge spacer out, Triumph washer back in, oil in, increased the air gap from 100mm to 110mm, springs back in and..... jackpot Very Happy

30mm sag front.

Added 3/4 turn preload to rear shock and got sag on rear down to 37mm

https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/170430%20-%20Boingy%20Bits/20170426_21025501.resized_zpsngnbnwpz.jpg

https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w559/pigeon35/170430%20-%20Boingy%20Bits/20170501_17221701.resized_zpsblhprw6n.jpg

Can't wait to see how she handles. Was pishing down most of today so didn't fancy going out and testing.

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Shinigami wrote:

What brand? I had a slinky glide cable snap within a year so buy OEM now.

As it happens....

A Slinky glide!

It's lasted a month.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:09 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sold the last one

am now bikeless Crying or Very sad

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:32 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally went to do the MOT and it passed with no issues. But, I must say, the technician was very thorough. The last time I did a motorcycle MOT, they only wanted to see some thread on the tyres, the lights and horn working and the first aid kit. This lad really checked it all, even questioned the single rear view mirror and some other bits, that are standard factory fitted.

As you can see I picked the best day to do all this. Heavy raining with deep puddles all over the town. #sofakingenglish

It was quite fun, until I found out my motorcycle gear wasn't as waterproof as it used to be. On the MZ you sit like on a bog, so all the water rams into your core and crotch area. The moment water got through my, uptill that moment assumed to be fully waterproff, motorcycle pants, I thought I just lost the control of my blader. All that goodnes then drained down into my motorcycle boots that still happen to be waterproof, so the water had nowhere to go. The MOT place was crowded, so I had to wait about 2 hours, wearing my own personal bathtub. But it was worth it, the MOT is good for another 2 years.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/mot2.jpg

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/mot1.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 358 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 252, 253, 254 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 253 of 409