Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Thoughts on Honda cb500?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

glynlowen
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:15 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Thoughts on Honda cb500? Reply with quote

Hi all,

After a two year break from bikes, I'm going to view a Honda cb500 in a couple of hours. Anything I should particularly be looking out for on these?

Cheers in advance!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

New, old, ancient?
As far as I know (which isn't much) they're all pretty straightforward decent machines.
Not the most exciting but a very decent, pretty reliable and economical bike...
What are you intending to use it for (commute, potter down to the shops, just for fun or ...)?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:46 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the link to the advert is... ?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
And the link to the advert is... ?

Ermm - like he's gonna tell ya that so you can go and gazump him. Because y'know - how much you always wanted a cb500, ditto everyone else on the planet.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Honda cb500? Reply with quote

glynlowen wrote:
Hi all,

After a two year break from bikes, I'm going to view a Honda cb500 in a couple of hours. Anything I should particularly be looking out for on these?

Cheers in advance!

Be sure to check for a lack of character - especially on the latest iteration. Most seem to have this.

ARF!

Okay - slightly less facetiously. The old ones are robust all round, and if you hear a loud knocking it's probably the clutch and nothing to worry about - they all do that, sir (if they've been laid up for any length of time). It's annoying idling at lights like that, but really - it doesn't seem to affect any actual part of the bike's running. Otherwise it's probably not going to be a mechanical issue and more finish-related. They get winter hacked and the swing arm suffers, ditto the OEM chrome Showa twin shocks corrode easily. If replaced with after-market Hagons the ride will be harsh. What else. I forget. Honestly there's not much to it. Oh yeah - one other thing. If you feeling notches when steering side to side replacing head races can be a total PITA because there's no lip.

Or maybe this is about the new ones - in which case there's not going to be anything wrong yet, in all probability. Just expect it to be a gutless creature that's heavier, makes less power and has a significantly lower red-line than the '90s incarnation.

For an old one prices are a grand for a usable one, half as much again for something with low miles e.g. er, what, 30k and no corrosion any where.

I like them - they're easy to ride, can take a good thrashing, and maybe a bit wallowy but can still be pretty accurate and fun with young decent tyres.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 21:02 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Honda cb500? Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Be sure to check for a lack of character - especially on the latest iteration. Most seem to have this.

Credit to Honda's Quality Department....
When I worked in a factory that made switches for Honda (cars) there was a box at the end of the line next to the test rig, with a Chinese hieroglyph on it, I thought must mean 'Scrap' or 'Rework'.. but I was told actually meant 'Heaven'.. when I asked why, they said that was where they put anything that failed on the test rig.....
>"What cos it's 'dead'?"
<"No, well, almost; it's the place of lost souls"
>"So do they get scrapped or re-worked?"
< "Oh no!.. they get sent to Italy! Where do you think Ducati get all that 'soul' from, sure aint from James Brown records!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ We need a facepalm Karma rating asap.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

would like the really early one with the drum rear brake myself as they were made in japan, when they brought out the one with the rear disc all the brake parts were Italian, because it was made in italy

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got both - there isn't really that much difference. I may kind of prefer drum on rear - there's a bit more feel. One thing's for sure - it's loads easier to get the back wheel off with the drum brake. The brembo calliper on the Italian assembled ones makes for a right fucking faff when it comes time to get the wheel back on.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 351 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1