Thought this may be useful

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:47 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Using the rear for slow speed control isn't inappropriate at all and at slow speed it's unlikely that they'll ever need the stopping power of the fronts; and whilst the front CAN make the bike unstable (with poor application) the rears have less chance of doing so, hence the instruction is to use the rear in that situation as it's the most appropriate of the two.

Not sure I agree with that. I know people who have lost the rear end of their bike by slamming on the rear brake, I think it's about using both brakes effectively. Using the front at low speed looks less graceful (with the front diving) but I find it much more effective than the rear.

I think it's more to do with instructors saving their bikes personally.

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:47 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
SDFarsight wrote:
Indeed it's a progressive scale rather than a button. And for emergency stops I was advised to use a balance of front and rear.

I was told not to touch the rear brake in emergency situations, because at that moment your rational thinking is focused elsewhere and you could, most likelly, just put too much brake pressure on the rear, making things even worse. The rear brake being yet another distraction.

''balance of front and rear'' is not what you're going to do, when you think you're gonna die. Also, and I don't say it's true, if you ride a sports bike, then have a look at your rear brake. Even Kevin Schwantz, and others, said that the rear brake was just a distraction and they never really used it on the track.

*Worth noting: The frame geometry pretty much determins how effective the rear brake is going to be. When there is more weight over the rear wheel, the rear brake will work better. Hence on the sports bikes the rear brake disc is tiny, because (and I don't know if motorcycles that I had a chance to ride were special) the moment you apply the rear brake, you can't feel much of braking/slowing down and if you apply more force, the rear wheel just blocks.

Pro-tip,
...might be pointless and I might be called names, but get used to use only one or two fingers on the front brake lever. This way, even in a emergency situation, you will never slam the front brake as you do not have the strenght in your one/two fingers. Locking the front brake, when panicing, is a result of using your whole hand to grab onto the lever. More further on the lever you apply the force, more torque you put there = more brake pressure applied. If you grab the lever at its end = minimal force required to lock the front wheel = instant road scraper.
YET, using only one/two finger/s on the lever is more than enough to operate the brake and slow down/stop the bike from three digit speeds.

*Worth noting: some front brakes can't be operated this way and require more force/fingers on the lever.

Good to know, I always prefered the front break.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:09 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait what. I'm going to have to watch that video again. I certainly wasn't talking about e-stop I was talking about u-turn etc which is where I was sure that he said rear brake only?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 352 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2