Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

If I won the lottery...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures
View previous topic : View next topic  

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:54 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: If I won the lottery... Reply with quote

No words or expressions of desire could ever come close to the... Laverda Jota.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:11 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I don't recall ever seeing the later 120deg crank model in orange, only ever in red and with a fairing. Clocks look like they might be the same as the earlier Mirage on that one too, but the tail piece is definitely from the 120 model. I wonder if they were ever produced, perhaps for a different market, in the guise your pics show, or if that one has been fiddled with.

The original 180deg crank model is the one for the purists.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:59 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think you're right, well spotted. Given the rather short production run of these, and the fact they were all imported, some with custom specifications, perhaps this one was originally registered in Europe?

Have only ever seen one of these circa '82 in Oban of all places! They had a very limited steer on them I believe and yes, the Jota purists were only interested in the 180 deg versions. Personally I don't care - the Jota was the ultimate street bike and always will be.

davethekwak
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 07:59 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my dream bikes when I was a young biker. Doesn't say much though as also wanted a Suzuki GS850 (still do).

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:55 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

davethekwak wrote:
One of my dream bikes when I was a young biker. Doesn't say much though as also wanted a Suzuki GS850 (still do).

I had a go on one of those once. Heavy and dog slow, not at all enjoyable to ride. At the time, I had a thing for Z650s, which were a much better bike. If I was going for a GS Suzuki, I'd look for the 750 or thou. Still occasionally get one crop up at reasonable-ish money now and again, usually American imports, so the first thing I'd do is change the bars to UK spec.

As well as the Jota, I always liked its little brother, the Montjuic; quite fancy one - Bike magazine's write-up at the time made it sound like a proper little hooligan - although I think I'd probably be disappointed with any of these bikes now. We've just come too far to go back imo. Best kept as memories.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:30 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had a go on one of those once. Heavy and dog slow, not at all enjoyable to ride. At the time, I had a thing for Z650s, which were a much better bike.

GS850 had the shaft drive, so I guess that tells us where the market for that bike was going to be. Still, I thought they looked like a big meaty machine. My cousin had a Z650 and it was the bike to own for a working class lad in those days. Once had a CX500 for a short while. What can you say? Ponderous, slow, noisey, tappity (pushrod driven valves!!) and the handling was truly dreadful, BUT what a fantastic engine and noise from the 2into1... Used to wake up the entire street/neighborhood going to work at 6.30 am Laughing

Anyone remember the Honda CB650, with comstar wheels and updated spec circa 1981? No competition for the Z650 admittedly, but I still thought they looked good. Maybe one day....

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris45 wrote:

Anyone remember the Honda CB650, with comstar wheels and updated spec circa 1981? No competition for the Z650 admittedly, but I still thought they looked good. Maybe one day....

The only old Honda I've ever been able to get enthusiastic over is the CB900, and I wouldn't keep one standard. I remember a mate of my brother's had one when I was a kid, done up in the usual way, and I thought it looked beautiful. Then there's this one:

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/GkDLYcB_zpszbmye9fa.jpg

Drooling

(Well ok, it's a 750, but I'd love to do that with the 900 - can't really see the point in short-changing yourself with the 750 lump if you're going to all that expense)

And on the subject of Laverdas, a favourite of mine has always been the Formula Mirage:

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/LaverdaFormulaMirage_zps58a61de3.jpg

Equally Drooling

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:52 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Late 60's Bonnie, a 916/996/998 S/R/SPS, Tracer 900, E Type, F40, M5 Touring/Audi RS6

That would be my dream garage I think.

ackack
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:31 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw one at a classic ford show and just fell in love.

https://archive.classic-motorbikes.net/images/gallery/honda_cbx1000z.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 326 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1