Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

DVLA has agreed to give EU nations driver details

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:27 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: DVLA has agreed to give EU nations driver details Reply with quote

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/3353852/why-british-drivers-will-soon-be-at-risk-of-640-fines-while-holidaying-in-the-eu/

Data sharing agreement cane in today.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:38 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got done for speeding in Canada. $300 odd dollar fine. Paid it, got on with life. <shrug>
They sell our details to private companies, so this is more of the same.
#notbovvered

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came on to post this great news too Rolling Eyes; seems you beat me too it Razz.

Don't suppose anyones found the full legislation this comes under for more specific information? Had a quick search around but no dice so far.

Wondering if its realistically likely to be used for minor speeding offences, or more aimed at severe speeds/fines they can be bothered pursuing in terms of cost & time vs fine.

It reads like its simply increasing data sharing rather than directly involving the DVLA in pursuing fines issued abroad.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Matt- wrote:
Wondering if its realistically likely to be used for minor speeding offences, or more aimed at severe speeds/fines they can be bothered pursuing in terms of cost & time vs fine.

I'd guess it depends how small the fine is and the terms involved.
If it's like here, where they add the costs to the fine then they've nothing to lose...

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2015/03/1500302-traffic-offenders-traceable-across-europa/

Two .pdf links at the bottom of the page to the EU directive.

Data sharing without unreasonable delays for the pupose of finding driver/rider details - yes. What actually happens after a letter is sent - unclear.

German MEP Ismail Ertug wrote:
When you commit an offence you can be written to directly. The question is what happens after that?
We've not actually got to the point of paying the fine. What about the situation where the person who commits the offence refuses to pay the fine? What happens then?'

European Commission's Transport Commissioner Violeta Bulc wrote:
The procedure for non-payment of fines would be included in the review of the new rules due next year

From here https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2949229/EU-approves-cross-border-fines-s-revealed-500k-British-drivers-dodge-French-speeding-fines.html

So maybe the actual process for chasing fines will be sorted at some point. Until then, who knows? Maybe a strongly worded letter and demands for payments. There is nothing (that I know of) stopping the Euro authorities engaging a UK debt collection agency and adding costs onto the fine.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:21 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
the fine.

I honestly have no idea if UK courts would have any truck with 'fines' imposed by EuroDredd. Bear in mind you don't get anything remotely like your ECH 'Right' to 'a fair and public hearing within a reasonable time by an independent and impartial tribunal'.

brains_t
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:26 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to factor in the admin fee that will be added to the fine. Had this when I was pulled in Germany who have set speeding tariffs.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I honestly have no idea if UK courts would have any truck with 'fines' imposed by EuroDredd.

Agreed.

I can't see this realistically becoming anything more that a Euro version of the "Operation Crackdown" thing posted recently. Official letters, empty threats and the like.

Roll on Brexit Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 326 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1