Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Decent bike for inexperienced rider? (Honda CB500X, NC750X)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Which bike?
Honda CB500X
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
Honda NC750X
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Kawasaki Versys-650
50%
 50%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 18

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you are look for, a Tracer 700 or 900 would be a good shout.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:09 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
The tracer was my first thought but I tend not to help people who get stroppy.

Seems like you brought the sand to this vagina-party. You jonesing for a triple fix?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:
The tracer was my first thought but I tend not to help people who get stroppy.

Seems like you brought the sand to this vagina-party. You jonesing for a triple fix?

I thought it would be more entertaining and I'd at least get to tear into each model Crying or Very sad

Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:50 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Decent bike for inexperienced rider? (Honda CB500X, NC75 Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
Not a great list of options there.
The Versys is the best of a pretty boring bunch.
You'll very quickly get bored of the CB500X, even though it's a very decent bike, but it's just not especially good at anything.
The NC750 is another very decent bike but with all the character of a washing machine.

Oh, and I fixed this for you;
l8machine wrote:
I like wasting money so i'll buy a brand new bike.

Buying a new 1st big bike usually (Not always) is a mistake.
You can't actually know what qualities you really want from a big bike until you've owned one for 6-12 months.
I get the impression that 'Finance' will be involved, So buying new just puts you in the situation where it's really difficult to change a bike for one that actually does what you want, without losing money.
You've enough experience with bikes to have learnt not to drop them the way most newbies do, so that's not so much of an issue when buying a bike with plastics.

My recommendation would be to spend £2-2.5 on your first bike.
You can get a boring bike (if you want) as it's only a learning tool to give you the knowledge of what you really want. Then consider buying a new (or nearly new) bike.
Personally I always prefer a bike which someone else has lost money on whilst they get any issues sorted, rather than buy new and get stung by dealer servicing costs whilst they wait for parts to arrive from HQ.
Plus a new bike doesn't automatically mean reliable but it does mean expensive.

I would much rather buy used, and am constantly looking for used bikes, but so far I have found nothing (in the 500-800cc adventure category). All decent ones I've found are close enough to brand new in terms of price, that I might as well buy a new bike. Another issue is that I can only afford about 2.5k (not including gear/insurance etc) without finance, so anything more, I'd need to buy from a dealer.

Where would you recommend to look for used bikes (I've never bought one in the UK)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Decent bike for inexperienced rider? (Honda CB500X, NC75 Reply with quote

l8machine wrote:
so anything more, I'd need to buy from a dealer

Actually no. Get finance that's not attached to the bike at all. That way you can chop and change your bike whenever you feel like it. You can upgrade, downgrade end up with multiple bikes, but you're not stuck with one.

l8machine wrote:
Where would you recommend to look for used bikes (I've never bought one in the UK)?

biketrader / ebay

Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:20 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
^ none of the above.

You're responses on other posts seem useful, but what do you expect me to respond to that? If you aren't gonna say why I'm wrong, or what else I might look for, just that my opinion is shit, why waste your time even typing a response?

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Decent bike for inexperienced rider? (Honda CB500X, NC75 Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
l8machine wrote:

biketrader / ebay

Plus Gumtree
Of course, with all of them you must do a Reg number check before you pay.

Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:22 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Decent bike for inexperienced rider? (Honda CB500X, NC75 Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
l8machine wrote:
so anything more, I'd need to buy from a dealer

Actually no. Get finance that's not attached to the bike at all. That way you can chop and change your bike whenever you feel like it. You can upgrade, downgrade end up with multiple bikes, but you're not stuck with one.

l8machine wrote:

biketrader / ebay

I can get 0% finance right now, but only for a purchase. I can't take it out in cash or a bank transfer. In this case I would not be tied to the bike either, as the finance would not be attached to anything.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:01 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

l8machine wrote:
M.C wrote:
^ none of the above.

You're responses on other posts seem useful, but what do you expect me to respond to that? If you aren't gonna say why I'm wrong, or what else I might look for, just that my opinion is shit, why waste your time even typing a response?

"So what would you buy"
"Tracer"
/thread
Mr. Green

Only bad thing's they're still relatively new models, you'd get a much better deal on a second-hand MT-07 (loads of them about), or MT-09 depending on what one you're after.

MT-09's have very little forward lean* so are not going to be uncomfortable, get a screen if you want some wind protection.
* www.cycle-ergo.com

Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:39 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Only bad thing's they're still relatively new models, you'd get a much better deal on a second-hand MT-07 (loads of them about), or MT-09 depending on what one you're after.

MT-09's have very little forward lean* so are not going to be uncomfortable, get a screen if you want some wind protection.
* www.cycle-ergo.com

I would take an MT-07, if I found one for a good price.

Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:51 - 30 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Decent bike for inexperienced rider? (Honda CB500X, NC75 Reply with quote

So I managed to test ride all 4 bikes - Honda CB500 & NC750, Yamaha Tracer-700 and Kawasaki Versys-650. All brand new.

Interestingly, I preferred the Tracer the least, as it was very hard for me to manage, turn or even control the throttle (dunno, maybe mine wasn't properly set up)

The Versys was by far the most comfortable bike for me, which is what I decided to go with.

And thank you everyone who suggested to go used instead. I was able to find an ok deal on a lightly used Versys.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 322 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2