Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Royal Enfield to buy Ducati?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Royal Enfield to buy Ducati? Reply with quote

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/auto/bikes/royal-enfield-revving-up-to-buy-ducati/articleshow/58567363.cms

Quote:
According to reports, VW, reeling under a crippling diesel emissions scandal , has tasked investment banking boutique Evercore to evaluate possible options for a sale of Ducati. The Italian company could fetch a valuation of about $1.5 billion euros (approximately Rs 10,500 crore), according to estimates.

Royal Enfield, a part of Eicher Motors, has been witnessing healthy growth in India even as it expands aggressively in overseas markets across Europe, North America, and Asia. Sources said that Eicher Motors - which is looking to attain global leadership for Royal Enfield in the middle-engine category - is examining the terms related to the acquisition, possible asking price, and how Ducati could fit within its own fast-growing operations.

Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:07 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducati's made in India Thinking

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What will be the correct riding gear for a Royal Enfield Ducati made in India? Full race tweeds and a turban? Confused
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:22 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a funny thought, but it appears to be an unsourced, unsubstantiated, almost completely denied rumour, padded out with some basic figures that are neither here nor there.

Italian electrics with Indian materials and quality control, that is a recipe for hilarity. Very Happy

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:26 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Italian electrics with Indian materials and quality control, that is a recipe for hilarity. Very Happy

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/9d/7e/a5/9d7ea5ff52e3e0577703e3fddc6fba8d.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they don't buy it, the Chinese will. Thumbs Down

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:26 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Is it? Shocked

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:53 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
M.C wrote:

Is it? Shocked

Ye's.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:01 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, why not.

Crap Italian wiring with Indian build quality control. The whole package. Razz

EDIT: You know what's funny Roger? I knew exactly what your reaction will be as I did try this several times before and you always gave me the Redundant karma rating. Reading you like a book. Triggered on stereotypes. Wink Embarassed

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 14:39 - 09 May 2017; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:33 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

EDIT: You know what's funny Roger? I knew exactly what your reaction will be as I did try this several times before and you always gave me the Redundant karma rating. Reading you like a book. Triggered on stereotypes. Wink

I thought he gave you a "redundant" because you just pretty much repeated what he'd already said?

Sometimes, I'm just so Confused
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:38 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked trickery, photoshopped in, can not believe this.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:54 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shhh! .srewoprepus nimdA

Fredrick101
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:24 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be the one main manufacturer that doesn't build bikes in India but oddly is owned by them... Confused

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is how can Enfield afford to develop and run Ducati if VAG and it's billions (before diesel gate) couldn't manage it?

I reckon all the Italian firms should have joined up years ago and pooled resources. I mean some brands have already been swallowed up and killed off or not invested in under the Piaggio group.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 20:11 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I reckon all the Italian firms should have joined up years ago and pooled resources. I mean some brands have already been swallowed up and killed off or not invested in under the Piaggio group.

They do that sort of thing from time to time. My understanding is that Italy has some unusual practices for companies to avoid bankruptcy, which essentially makes it hard for a failing company to disappear. This means Italian manufacturers can keep being Italian about things. It means Guzzi can keep existing.

At some point in the past everyone has owned everyone else.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
My question is how can Enfield afford to develop and run Ducati if VAG and it's billions (before diesel gate) couldn't manage it?

VAG won't have bought Ducati because they fancied making motorcycles, they'll have spotted that Ducati have some technology which VAG could benefit from, same as any takeover in any industry. Companies asset strip and sell what's left. If the asset stripping is simply acquiring an understanding of manufacturing technology (maybe fuel injection or traction control) it won't have harmed Ducati much.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

In what way couldn't VAG manage Ducati?
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX-7R wrote:
So when's the new Ducati Panigale 125 due out then?.

Probably the same time as the 125 Monster and 125 Hypermotard Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well assuming you read, the last I heard was that VAG were looking to slash costs, and sell off assets to recover the slump in shares caused partly and somewhat unfairly by the emissions scandal.

Ducati I would guess are not a vital core part of the business for VAG to operate and grow market share.

I thought they bought them as they wanted exposure, advertising and access to race team publicity etc. It would have looked good for them to sit Lorenzo etc in a few Audi's or show moto GP stars in the adverts etc.

I'd love to know exactly what bit of crucial technology Ducati had that VAG were so desperate to get hold of and use, then asset strip them for before selling Ducati to whoever waves the cash. I know this happens and has been done before, but it does in this case sound a bit bollocks to me.

Lastly asset stripping doesn't always work out perfectly in the long term. Look how dull and boring all the BMW X1-6 series of soft roaders are, and how they are far from top of the class in desirability and sales compared to JLR products which are arguably much more exciting, and have a stronger brand image in this market sector
columnm This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Mashby
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:21 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder if Triumph would be interested they could probably get the finance if they wanted it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashby wrote:
Wonder if Triumph would be interested they could probably get the finance if they wanted it.

Why on earth would Triumph be interested in Ducati and all the risks it would incur.

Triumph got their fingers pretty badly burnt with the amount the Daytona 675 cost them to develop. They have never been big on the sports bikes, preferring more the cruiser and street bike market.

I reckon Ducati would bankrupt them.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 06 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Triumph got their fingers pretty badly burnt with the amount the Daytona 675 cost them to develop.

Really? The platform that took on the Japanese and dominated Supersport for several years, the engine + frame was then re-used and was their largest selling bike worldwide and spawned the 765 which they will be supplying to Moto2 championship.
Not saying it didn't cost a lot, but it's also dominated their sales in one form or another and raised their profile around the world.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 296 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3