Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bexley police get new offroad bikes to tackle pikeys

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:53 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Bexley police get new offroad bikes to tackle pikeys Reply with quote

Apologies for the Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/BexleyPolice/photos/a.944131782316375.1073741828.942178552511698/1468935683169313/?type=3&theater

Bexley police claim that picture was taken last week. Without reading the comments, how many things can you spot wrong with it? Whistle

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I suppose they could have had the bikes lying around for a while, you know, when you still needed a tax disc

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the pavement? Fixed penalty for riding on the pavement. Bad officers.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No blue lights that I can see.
And are they PCSOs?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:24 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
Well, I suppose they could have had the bikes lying around for a while, you know, when you still needed a tax disc

Insightful.

Also, hint: what bikes are they?

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR250R...

Don't know?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:51 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does it say those bikes are new?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:05 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't, but the last year that Yamaha imported the WR250R was 2010. That's a long time in police service. They haven't removed that VED disc since it expired in 2014?

For bonus points, see if you can spot why I've just realised that I was wrong about this being Fake News old images though. It does happen. Whistle

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It doesn't, but the last year that Yamaha imported the WR250R was 2010. That's a long time in police service. They haven't removed that VED disc since it expired in 2014?

For bonus points, see if you can spot why I've just realised that I was wrong about this being Fake News old images though. It does happen. Whistle

Is it the tyre tread pattern, only introduced in that rim size in 2016?
Or is it the Big Brother cameras?

Are these, perchance, repurposed 'pre-stolen-and-recovered' vehicles?

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Could be that they've had them for years, but never used them (much). Wouldn't be the first time we, the tax payer, has shelled out £££ for kit that never gets/can't be used. Pretty sure we've still got a load of Chinooks somewhere that we bought from the Yanks, but getting them up to UK spec (whatever that means) would actually cost more than buying UK spec ones from new...

Or, it could be bikes that were seized/recovered that have been re-purposed? It may not happen now, but my mate's uncle used to drive an unmarked XJ6 on motorway patrol around Sheffield, which they'd 'acquired' from somewhere

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:25 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a case of "it was like that when I bought it, pls prove otherwise".

Met Police aren't the only ones to use WR250 bikes for photo opportunities:

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-a-police-office-on-a-motocross-scrambler-off-road-police-bike-in-a-38823562.html
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes-for-sale/yamaha/wr250f/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/seifracing/8814338434/in/photolist-eqTMJj
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1366431/Scramble-police-Boys-Blue-dirt-bikes-chase-crooks-woods.html

The registrations of the two bikes Bexley police use for riding around parks are DV10 VRW and CA10 VPJ.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:28 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The registrations of the two bikes Bexley police use for riding around parks are DV10 VRW and CA10 VPJ.

Yup, I've just seen that they've gone on a bit of a meedja blitz with them this week (kept them in reserve for 7 years?).

I guess a picture of you Tackling Crime is worth a thousand assurances that you're Tackling Crime. Even if you're not. Someone needs to go and re-read Peel's 9th Principle. Tut Tut

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:14 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A photo of crime being tackled is worth at least a thousand assurances if by assurances you mean reassuring #bikelife that they're not going to get chased. Thumbs Up

They've had the bikes since at least February 2015: https://twitter.com/MPSBexley/status/571404628157448193

The bikes haven't gone many miles on them!! One of the bikes has done 1,053 miles between February 2015 and January this year and the other has done 743 miles in the same time window. Laughing

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
They've had the bikes since at least February 2015: https://twitter.com/MPSBexley/status/571404628157448193

Can't have been that hard to reach if that Saxo made it up there

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:34 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The bikes haven't gone many miles on them!! One of the bikes has done 1,053 miles between February 2015 and January this year and the other has done 743 miles in the same time window. Laughing

About 1.5 miles a day over their life.

It looks like they wheel them out once a year for a bit of gentle green lane jollies and a few photo-ops. Nice work if you can get it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 345 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1