Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First drop - Lowering advise

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Deadonkey
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:00 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: First drop - Lowering advise Reply with quote

Well, after 700 miles in 3 weeks since having my first bike,
It went over.

I stopped on an off camber, put my foot out and it was a bit further than usual till my foot touched the ground.
At this point the bike was past the critical angle where I couldnt hold it.

Some nice cyclists helped me pick it up, Very minimal damage. Im also absolutely fine

Slight scratching to the engine casing and the bar end.

Bar ends simple enough to replace but what do people do with scratched engine casings? I guess they are a pain to change? can you get matching paint to spray them?

This is the second time Ive dropped an XJ6. The problem is for me to flat foot the bike it has to be at an angle, so if anything causes that angle to become slightly more the bike goes over.
Its not much either.

There is a lowering kit available for the XJ6 that lowers the back end by 40mm by modifying the position of the rear shock, after discussing this with a biker friend he suggests I just keep with the bike as it is, as using lowering kits causes further issues with the side stand/bike angle and the centre stand. But i feel it would help me confidently move the bike around.
I would be interested to hear some views.

Many Thanks
Richard

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 18:25 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno what you're going to do about fixing up the scuffs, but these will prevent it happening again/will help if you slide it down the road:

https://www.rg-racing.com/browsetype/Engine_Case_Sliders/Yamaha/XJ6/

Rather slide on those and pay £50, than a cracked open case with engine oil going everywhere.

I'm getting the full engine casing kit that they make for the R6 because I recently dropped my bike too so I feel your pain. Unfortunately mine's costing me £700 in fairings ontop of new bar ends and swingarm spools, of which I've popped some R&G ones on a few weeks ago. Laughing

But thankfully, no damage to swingarm/engine or any metal parts at all.

Neutral, facing downhill, took hands off bars, leaned back up off the bike, it rolled forwards, clunk.

Shit happens.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn to get your bum off the seat?

I know a 5' 3" (ish) lass that can ride a stock KTM motard (690 IIRC), her arse is off the seat and her leg hooked over it if there's an off camber, and a less pronounced but similar positio at normal lights, junctions etc. Must do 6-7K on it a year, and she's not shy about getting a hustle on.

That said, I damn near dropped a YBR a few weeks back by not having my brain turned on at 5:30AM, and I'm 6' 3", it's not all about your height or inside leg.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:18 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHm_wizutuA
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Street Trip, I think was lowered by the previous owner. I never knew this for sure, but the angle of lean when on the side stand small.

When on anything other than flat ground, it always felt precarious, so just be aware of that when thinking about lowering it. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Deadonkey
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:44 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

That's impressive. Maybe I will start doing that! Very Happy

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadonkey wrote:
The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

That's impressive. Maybe I will start doing that! Very Happy

Nope, this is impressive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRFyw57o_Ic Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:29 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see the usual "you don't need to" advice from the stork-leg brigade.

40mm is a fair bit but it looks like the only kit available for your techno-suspension. You can drop the front forks through the yokes to match, but I would indeed be a-scared that it's going to cause issues with the stands. My lowered GS can't take the standard centre stand and I believe my side stand is shortened.

However, it's super easy to flat foot it both sides - it's my lowest bike, and sod riding when you're fretting about dropping it. Life's too short, pun intended. I reckon I'd give it a go and deal with the stands if necessary.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:45 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Great to see the usual "you don't need to" advice from the stork-leg brigade.

40mm is a fair bit but it looks like the only kit available for your techno-suspension. You can drop the front forks through the yokes to match, but I would indeed be a-scared that it's going to cause issues with the stands. My lowered GS can't take the standard centre stand and I believe my side stand is shortened.

However, it's super easy to flat foot it both sides - it's my lowest bike, and sod riding when you're fretting about dropping it. Life's too short, pun intended. I reckon I'd give it a go and deal with the stands if necessary.

https://i.imgur.com/lNEg8.gif

Marclev
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:39 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Re: First drop - Lowering advise Reply with quote

Deadonkey wrote:
Well, after 700 miles in 3 weeks since having my first bike,
It went over.

I stopped on an off camber, put my foot out and it was a bit further than usual till my foot touched the ground.
At this point the bike was past the critical angle where I couldnt hold it.

Some nice cyclists helped me pick it up, Very minimal damage. Im also absolutely fine

Slight scratching to the engine casing and the bar end.

Bar ends simple enough to replace but what do people do with scratched engine casings? I guess they are a pain to change? can you get matching paint to spray them?

This is the second time Ive dropped an XJ6. The problem is for me to flat foot the bike it has to be at an angle, so if anything causes that angle to become slightly more the bike goes over.
Its not much either.

There is a lowering kit available for the XJ6 that lowers the back end by 40mm by modifying the position of the rear shock, after discussing this with a biker friend he suggests I just keep with the bike as it is, as using lowering kits causes further issues with the side stand/bike angle and the centre stand. But i feel it would help me confidently move the bike around.
I would be interested to hear some views.

Many Thanks
Richard

The XJ-6 is a heavy machine with a high centre of gravity, great for stability on motorways, but I sometimes found mine awkward to keep balanced at very low speeds, compared to the CB600 I learnt on (and that was a tank too).

I now have a ZX6R and briefly had an MT-09 before that, both are a dream at slow speeds (the MT-09 a lot less so at high speeds though, hence the "briefly"), so rest assured it's not necessarily anything to do with your skill, that thing is just heavy.

All I can recommend is keep practising, your body does learn to cope with the weight. Bear in mind even if you lower it, it'll be just as heavy, and the weight is the petrol tank and engine, so the centre of gravity won't be much different. Flat footing or not, you'll basically still have the same "critical angle" (although it should be harder to lose your footing of course),

Also you've learnt a valuable lesson about being mindful of the camber when deciding where to park. I doubt you're the first to have learnt that lesson that way!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
40mm is a fair bit but it looks like the only kit available for your techno-suspension.

40mm is a lot, 25mm would be the best choice. One other option - there is a German company called MFW that do a 30mm kit but it's going to be a harder fit because its a modified collar for the shock, not an easy replacement link.

Like this https://www.mfw-wolf.de/en/Lowering-Kits/Lowering-Kit95

Could probably find a UK supplier on ebay.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Resolved*

https://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=65056017

Deadonkey
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:16 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about a lowered seat.
Nothing is available.

Would it be an idea to get a local upholstery company to look at it?

Or is that just going to make an already uncomfortable seat even worse?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:50 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How thick is the stock seat? If it were an older bike, I'd be looking at buying a spare seat and having a go with some camping/exercise mat closed-cell foam and a staple gun.

<TefAlert> Modern seats seem to be getting thinner though, there may not be a lot to be trimmed. </TefAlert>
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 346 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1