BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Biking down under - Brisbane.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent 3 weeks travelling up the east coast last year...
We said we would consider moving to Oz for a year and this post is very much making that itch... itch again Shocked

Am still very tempted to sell up and go for it... a LOT of effort to make it work out though Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:31 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep we're toying with it too, the wage to property price comparison is too good to turn down in some ways.

I honestly didn't believe that quality of life existed in a western country. I thought the UK was about as good as it came. I was clearly very naive!

We're looking at doing a holiday there in the next year or so so my other half can see what it's like.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:45 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at it once too. In fact, a colleague and I saw an ad in Motorcycle Trader magazine for positions at a new dealership that was opening up in Sydney. He dragged his feet over sorting his passport, but I sent off an application and at least got an acknowledgement. They were going to give help with work permits, getting settled etc.

Apparently, half the UK bike trade's employees applied for the posts; the following month's Motorcycle Trader had a cartoon showing a queue of bike mechanics, salesmen etc, waiting to get on a plane bound for Oz Laughing The Sydney dealer was overwhelmed with applications.

/cool story etc.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be careful where you look though.
I have family on the gold coast, Weekends spent jet ski camping with their two daughters on islands and some of the best beach going. You would soil yourself if you knew how f*cking spectacular life can be out there BUT it's a bit of a trap.

A lot of people move out there chasing the dreams and end up over worked, over taxed (because taxes are a bit silly in places), and so blinded chasing the dream they don't abort until they are spent/broke :-\ .

Realistically we are considering the outskirts of Brisbane, property is quiet expensive where the work is but a half hour/40 minute commute is long by Oz standard, average time stood still in ques in the UK I suspect...

Big super markets out there (woolies/coles) will have cheap own brands and lots of specials so are cheaper all round.

I say we're toying with the idea, we are doing it Rolling Eyes.
Having grown up in S.A. I love the climate, it's just formalities like weather to keep the house and rent it out or sell up etc.

We both have most of our family in Europe so I would be surprised if we stayed out there but renting a house out and going to the other side of the world is quiet a risk...

Also look into getting your qualifications recognised, NHS is always popular, you'll need to do an English test and I would be suspicious of work sponsorship visa's leaving you at the mercy of a company.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:22 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that struck me in Brisbane was the lack of decent public transport - living in London has spoiled me in that regard. Rush hour was bedlam, worse than London traffic in places, which is bonkers when it's around 1/4 the population!

We're toying with a similar thing, we have a flat on the outskirts of London that we could let out for two years or something while we worked out whether we wanted to live there longer term.

In all honesty I'm not sure how likely I'd be to get a visa, but it is something we're now thinking of. To be blunt, we're still the right side of 30 to risk a few years on it!

Oddlight
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:14 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug_the_bastard wrote:
The thing that struck me in Brisbane was the lack of decent public transport - living in London has spoiled me in that regard. Rush hour was bedlam, worse than London traffic in places, which is bonkers when it's around 1/4 the population!

We're toying with a similar thing, we have a flat on the outskirts of London that we could let out for two years or something while we worked out whether we wanted to live there longer term.

In all honesty I'm not sure how likely I'd be to get a visa, but it is something we're now thinking of. To be blunt, we're still the right side of 30 to risk a few years on it!

We made the move from Reading to Brisbane 6 months ago. We're unlikely to go back to the UK.

Some take aways:

* Renting or buying within 30mins of cbd is expensive.
* Public transport is slow but cheap
* A lot less traffic in general but traffic gridlocks at hot spots
* perm res Visa expensive but well worth it as no lock in
* Very friendly and open people but customer service can be shockingly bad
* A lot less bargains to be had as very limited competition
* Prepare to pay for everything then prepare to be taxed heavily
* Weather is very humid - sub tropical - for 9 months of year. Forget walking anywhere if you need to look decent
* Careful of the cops with speed guns - they are very well camouflaged
* Lovely gorgeous luscious biking on your doorstep.
* Very expensive beer. You'll think London is cheap.
* Very good free schooling
* Strong work ethic and morals

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:58 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddlight wrote:

We made the move from Reading to Brisbane 6 months ago. We're unlikely to go back to the UK.

Some take aways:

* Renting or buying within 30mins of cbd is expensive.
* Public transport is slow but cheap
* A lot less traffic in general but traffic gridlocks at hot spots
* perm res Visa expensive but well worth it as no lock in
* Very friendly and open people but customer service can be shockingly bad
* A lot less bargains to be had as very limited competition
* Prepare to pay for everything then prepare to be taxed heavily
* Weather is very humid - sub tropical - for 9 months of year. Forget walking anywhere if you need to look decent
* Careful of the cops with speed guns - they are very well camouflaged
* Lovely gorgeous luscious biking on your doorstep.
* Very expensive beer. You'll think London is cheap.
* Very good free schooling
* Strong work ethic and morals

About 7 years ago I was offered a position in Australia and TBH I wanted to take it but the timing couldn't have been more terrible at home (right in the middle of economic slump and I'd have been in a fair bit of negative equity on the house, which I'd spent a lot of money fixing up, so that would have been a huge net loss - and topped off by wifey getting her first long term contract job for 2.5 years) so I didn't take it. Always wondered how it would have worked out.

I've looked into it a bit since, as I have friends in Australia (Perth and Melbourne) who have gone through the numbers with me. The long and short of it seemed to be I'd be down on readily available cash, but quality of life would be a fairly marked improvement.

I may investigate in a few more years - my company has presence there which would likely make swapping over fairly easy.

Sun tan cream at the ready.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 342 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2