Advice.. 125 or DAS*?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:49 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:
Regarding gear - There's some great bargains to be had on ebay and gumtree. For example, I've just got an Alpinestars textile jacket for £30! The one I got is now discontinued (T-GP) although they used to retail at £169.99. I also won some Triumph branded kevlar jeans for £25.

Yep, you can definitely blag some bargains on eBay, especially on collection only items. I've had an IXON textile jacket that RRP'd at £129 for 99p, and it must have only been worn a few times.

I've also just got an IXON leather jacket for £5, again, in fantastic condition, and that was north of £250 when new

I also recently bought a brand new pair of the RST TracTech Evo gloves for £27 delivered

The kit is far from 'cheaping it out' and total spend is no where near £1k either!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:56 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rukka Gore Textm jacket for £66.89 delivered. Whistle

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Rukka Gore Textm jacket for £66.89 delivered. Whistle

Bargain! This one was local to me (so was going to collect) and was only hovering around the £30 mark with a few minutes to spare, but a frantic last few minutes bumped it up

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/rukka-motorcycle-clothing-/332199522669?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=eafwTdlpkrInLoaUIJ1LML4ajrA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

So yeah, just keep watching eBay, bargains a plenty, you just have to be patient

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:
Regarding gear - There's some great bargains to be had on ebay and gumtree. For example, I've just got an Alpinestars textile jacket for £30! The one I got is now discontinued (T-GP) although they used to retail at £169.99. I also won some Triumph branded kevlar jeans for £25.

I agree but an issue can be getting the right size.
A casual XL jumper or jacket can seem enormous but an XL motorbike jacket may be too small.
They seem to have some odd sizes in motorbike gear (IMO!), so It's well worth a newbie visiting a bike gear shop just to try on some gear to find out what motorbike gear sizes they are.
Even more important to try Lids for size and fit (even if you then buy the exact same lid on-line), as they vary between manufacturers and fit different shaped heads...

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:25 - 13 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying boots can be a little dodgy. Shoes sizes can be bigger or smaller than expected. Some don't have all the armour in the right places.

Then there is the odd case of some boot soles being more slippy than normal shoes for whatever reason.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:47 - 14 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:

I agree but an issue can be getting the right size.
A casual XL jumper or jacket can seem enormous but an XL motorbike jacket may be too small.
They seem to have some odd sizes in motorbike gear (IMO!), so It's well worth a newrbike gear sizes they are.

Or just arrange to try it on before committing to the sale. Most private sales are cash on collection preferred anyway.

I got myself a leather Triumph jacket. I found that it retailed for £400. It was listed for £50, I offered £40 and got it. I'll probably never be able to afford a Triumph motorbike to go with it, but it's a solid piece of gear.

This only applies to clothes. I'd never buy a helmet second hand from anyone.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 14 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
Or just arrange to try it on before committing to the sale.
I'll probably never be able to afford a Triumph motorbike to go with it, but it's a solid piece of gear.

Fair point, if you can try them on.
There are plenty of cheap Triumphs around.
Not the 'fashionable ones though Laughing

madcow87
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:46 - 15 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey folks first post around here, just signed up after reading this thread this morning.

Just wanted to say to OP I've recently taken the plunge and I've got my CBT and DAS training lined up for the start of July which I'm buzzing about.

I went out to pick up my own gear (I've been around bikes my whole life but needed some proper kit for myself now that I'm gonna start riding my own bike). Picked up all brand new kit for around £450, this included brand spanker helmet, textile jacket and pants combo with removable thermal liners, some gloves and some waterproof boots. Like you I plan to commute all year around (although I only have to ride a couple of miles to work) so wanted to make sure to get waterproof kit.

Something I haven't seen mentioned is head into a local store, I personally went travelling to a few different shops to look in, managed to catch my helmet on sale at Rocket Centre, and when I spoke to the guys at a different shop they were all to happy to knock a few quid off for all the gear I bought from there spot. Saved myself about £50 in there. Doesn't hurt to ask if the they can do any deals for you.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 15 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, wait the few months left to give you access to all options, and do your CBT near to that time.

Too many positive and negatives to say if a bike is better than a bus or a car. TBH any mode of transport for A-B necessity all year round and in all conditions is completely shit! Walking to work, cycling or just home working are far more interesting and tolerable IMO. Owning a vehicle that you must pay for various things before you get to do a mile using it can be tedious or even untolerable!

Vehicles for fun/leisure or for the sheer hell of throwing away your money on for want of something better to do, is a bit more fun or justifiable to some, and even then they can be a huge pain in the arse even if you never need to rely on them.

A day out on a cheap day ticket on the bus to go hopping around county wide with no time constraints can be alot of fun for example.

I don't think there is any licence route or category that has an automatic upgrade to a full unlimited licence after a time anymore? Also I think you need an unlimited licence to ride all bikes from 126-650cc?

All that in mind I'd do either DAS or whatever its called now, or an A1 licence with a 125, with the idea being if you wanted an unlimited bike later, you could buy one, rock up at the test centre with no training (why you need lessons after say 2years on a 125cc I find insulting) and pass a test on it before riding it home.

I fucking hate this stupid gate jumping system to get a bit of paper that says you can ride a motorbike legally. So for me today the choice would be pass a test that let's me buy and ride anything I like, or say shove said system up arse as I don't want to play games, and leave bikes well alone.

Have you looked into those 3wheel scooter things? I did hear some of them could be ridden on a car licence and if so, and if own affordable transport is a means to an end, I'd consider it with you having a car licence?

Lastly one for Arry etc, but what if you bought a fucked car for £50-100 quid and insured it to sit in your garden for 3-4years, can that get a person's car insurance rates down having 4years NCB on a wreak they don't even drive?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 15 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Have you looked into those 3wheel scooter things? I did hear some of them could be ridden on a car licence and if so, and if own affordable transport is a means to an end, I'd consider it with you having a car licence?

I haven't checked but I believe they changed the licencing some time back.
I think that you can only drive/ride a 3 wheeler on a car licence if it was issued before 1st Jan 2013.
If you passed your car test after that date then you don't have that entitlement, so you'd need a Bike licence.

Please correct me if you know this is wrong.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 288 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2