Operation crackdown

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 05 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
Their database is going to be fucked if Ste gets bored.
Guys, the country may actually fall to a standstill in the wake of this one. Shocked

Raffles wrote:
I don't get why the OP is upset about receiving what is effectively 'a quiet word in his ear' from Operation Crack.
Better that than a Section 59 notice.

Eh?
Because it's unsubstantiated.

and open to abuse as shown by dodsi Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:21 - 05 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raffles wrote:
I don't get why the OP is upset about receiving what is effectively 'a quiet word in his ear' from Operation Crack.

Because it's from a quango, i.e. a private business that has no business contacting private citizens.

It's like Doris the curtain twitcher at number 42 scamming your details from DVLA and sending you a threatening sounding nastygram.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:43 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane's plate is on here... Arcane was attempting wheelies Thinking

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 01:35 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good fucking grief, how the hell does the angle of a bike to the ground beneath it affect the effectiveness of the silencer?

& what the fuck are "motorcycle noises"?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:26 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZRX61 wrote:
Good fucking grief, how the hell does the angle of a bike to the ground beneath it affect the effectiveness of the silencer?

brrrruuuumm, BERRRUUUMMMMMMMM Police

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZRX61 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwH85gFOVVQ

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UplJBQi_0_w Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fruit'n'nut
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:35 - 09 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
vice wrote:
so how do I report the cretin doing wheelies up and down cul-de-sac on dirt bikes with no plates Exclamation Question

I called 101 but nothing happened surprisingly <old-man-syndrome> missus lol'd at me

What did you expect them to do? Policing?

If there's no Operation, there's no budget and no targets and nobody is meeting or exceeding their performance criteria. Sad times.

The call will generate an incident log which will likely not be graded as requiring an emergency response, because there no threat to life or property, or suggestion of a crime in progress. It will be added to the list of outstanding incident logs yet to be attended by an officer and any emergency incidents will be prioritised ahead of it (and the other non-emergency logs.)

There are targets to meet for timely attendance to graded incidents.

vice - if it's a regular occurrence, e.g. every Sunday morning, same time, same bikes, report it via 101/email/Crimestoppers. It will advertised to local officers in some way for attention where/when possible. Don't necessarily expect quick results. I've dealt with similar reports (regular uninsured drivers, no licence etc); some have taken weeks to resolve because I (like every other cop) am at the mercy of the radio and have been diverted elsewhere. Some I've been lucky enough to catch the day I've received the information. It's something of a lottery.

V2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:10 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for reporting any police car you see speeding and making 'car noises' or indeed 'siren noises' Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:27 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reported a baby doing wheelies in an ambulance. When will they learn? They just keep getting younger.
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:12 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fruit'n'nut wrote:
vice wrote:
so how do I report the cretin doing wheelies up and down cul-de-sac on dirt bikes with no plates Exclamation Question

The call will generate an incident log which will likely not be graded as requiring an emergency response, because there no threat to life or property, or suggestion of a crime in progress.

The rest of it is informative, but it's pretty much a sanctioned-detection bingo win and an on-the-spot seizure.

Definitely:
Careless or inconsiderate, or dangerous driving.
Not in proper control.
Vehicle without a VRM.

Very very likely to be:
Driving without insurance.
Driving without VED.
Driving without an MOT, C&U offences and/or unroadworthy vehicle.

Likely to be:
Driving without a licence.

Could be:
Stolen vehicle.

Anecdote:
A decent enough family in our road bought some mini-motos and were riding them around the cul-de-sac. Hardmless fun, jumpers for goalposts and such. My copper couple chums at number 42 had to have a quiet word about the depth of the consequences if repeat incidents obliged them to "see" them doing it, and that was the last of that.

Fruit'n'nut
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:49 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Fruit'n'nut wrote:

or suggestion of a crime in progress.

The rest of it is informative, but it's pretty much a sanctioned-detection bingo win and an on-the-spot seizure.

Definitely:
Careless or inconsiderate, or dangerous driving.
Not in proper control.
Vehicle without a VRM.

Very very likely to be:
Driving without insurance.
Driving without VED.
Driving without an MOT, C&U offences and/or unroadworthy vehicle.

Likely to be:
Driving without a licence.

Could be:
Stolen vehicle.

There are only two offences on that list ^ which result in a recorded crime (and therefore may subsequently result in a detection.) Those are dangerous driving and a stolen vehicle. The other offences are clearly road traffic related offences, but aren't recordable as crimes for any statistical purposes.

Unless there's some logical information to suggest a vehicle is stolen, it won't (shouldn't) just be assumed (when grading the incident for a response.) Making assumptions could result in an entirely inappropriate response by anybody in the chain from call-handler to dispatcher to responding officer(s.)

You'll have to take it from me that IME, such incidents are highly unlikely to ever darken the door of a court for careless or dangerous driving, because they usually don't meet the threshold for such matters and are captured by other offences, which you've already correctly identified.

You're also correct to say that are opportunities for seizure of the vehicle under a number of different Acts.

It's still unlikely to attract an emergency response without some exacerbating factor e.g. "there is somebody on a offroad bike wheelying across a park full of children and kittens." That said, and again IME, it's the sort of incident that any traffic cop is probably going to take an interest in and try to attend sooner rather than later, because it's bread-and-butter.

I've now gone some way away from the original point of the thread.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Fruit'n'nut. If you are a copper, can you tell me how you can drive around in a police care, operating the radio that hangs around your neck with one hand (to press transmit), talking to other coppers while driving and it's perfectly OK while to operate a phone, with no buttons to press while talking, is the biggest kitten killer since Cruella de Ville?

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

V2 wrote:
+1 for reporting any police car you see speeding and making 'car noises' or indeed 'siren noises' Laughing

Yep, this one for me as well... Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:06 - 10 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Mr Fruit'n'nut. If you are a copper, can you tell me how you can drive around in a police care, operating the radio that hangs around your neck with one hand (to press transmit), talking to other coppers while driving and it's perfectly OK while to operate a phone, with no buttons to press while talking, is the biggest kitten killer since Cruella de Ville?

Because that's what the law says, and the law is never an ass. Folded arms

CB radios are also OK, breaker breaker. Cool

Mentacycle
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:46 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
Their database is going to be fucked if Ste gets bored.
Guys, the country may actually fall to a standstill in the wake of this one. Shocked

Raffles wrote:
Better that than a Section 59 notice.

Eh?
Because it's unsubstantiated.

What is a section 59 notice?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:49 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mentacycle wrote:
What is a section 59 notice?

Police Reform Act 2002 Section 59: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2002/30/section/59

Aka "bike/car ASBO". One warning based on "reasonable grounds for [belief]", then they can seize it.

It's wide open to abuse by a grumpy copper, as it doesn't rely on proving a damn thing. It bypasses the whole tiresome charge / prosecution / defence / verdict process entirely, and is an affront to justice.

Which might be fine if it were being used for its intended purpose in targetting actual pikeys and doughnut merchants.

https://i.imgur.com/BBjstU9.jpg?1

But we've had folk on here saying they were tugged for road legal, MOT-passed exhausts and being told that they're being fitted up with an S59 and their bike will be seized if it's seen again. No defence, no comeback.

Police Farces seem to mis-apply the S59 marker to the vehicle (or rather the registration mark) rather than the driver, so if you buy a vehicle that's already got a marker on it, you can have it seized without warning even though you weren't the driver/rider in the initial incident.

If you get an S59, the easiest option is to sell the vehicle, or change the plate.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 14:20 - 16 May 2017; edited 1 time in total

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
But we've had folk on here saying they were tugged for road legal, MOT-passed exhausts and being told that they're being fitted up with an S59

Read exactly this on a 125 Facebook group just yesterday. Kid apparently got tugged for having a loud exhaust and a S59 issued.

He claimed that the bike had only recently passed it's MOT, has an E-approved exhaust, and it hadn't even had an advisory flagged as being excessively noisy

Mentacycle
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:45 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, Im so glad i asked, and thanks for your reply.
It seems a lot has changed in the last 14 years since I last rode.

Is there a thread for returning riders?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:01 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/BBjstU9.jpg?1

Thinking A bit more than just driving quickly past it.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mention at the time, but (fwiw) I got a s59. I was trying to keep up with my mate's tuono - on my 500. Like that was going to happen. But bion I hadn't been doing too bad up Staxton, through Foxholes and down to Sledmere/Brid roundabout. We'd been to Whitby, then going through Scarborough we had a bmw s1000rr tag along with us - sat with it and admired it at lights, even.

But once out of town the fun and frolics down from Whitby resumed and I was beansing the utter knackers off it. I thought we'd lost the beemer but no. Just as I was winding it on along the straight after the roundabout it was in my mirrors again and I'd got up to just passed 95 when its blues came on.

Unmarked bike. Fuck. Pulled over, lid off, contrite silence maintained - short but calm lecture received. "I'm not going to give you a fine. I'm not going to give you points..." Uhm okay - so what's left? Chuck a lit match in the tank and watch while it's cremated?? "No - I'm going to give you one of these," which - incredibly - was ye s59. With the parting words of wisdom - "Oh and one other thing - no matter how hard you ride, you'll never keep up with that Tuono."

Copper actually said he didn't mind us having a laugh and would've ignored us altogether but for the fact that some of my overtakes "were quite frankly rash". Eh. Fair dos. Can was loud as fuck too - but that wasn't mentioned. Anyway, this was - what - three years ago iirc. Never heard anything else about it.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:38 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, with all that dangerous riding, how on earth did he manage to keep up with you without riding in exactly the same way? Did he use some kind of wormhole?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:01 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Wow, with all that dangerous riding, how on earth did he manage to keep up with you without riding in exactly the same way? Did he use some kind of wormhole?

Roadcraft innit. Because riding from a book makes you an elite and superior rider. They do seem to routinely miss out the section on red mist.

I bet the butthurt would truly have come out if he'd been unable to keep up. I often wonder what would happen if some copper on an unmarked bike tried it on with a couple of the really fast guys in my club. If they'd take the drubbing and find someone else to hassle or get all pissy about it.

Cure for a S59 is a cheap personalised numberplate.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:47 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Cure for a S59 is a cheap personalised numberplate.

As it happens, I tend to ride like an absolute cad on my Enfield - bus lanes, no entry roads, fire paths - in small part because I'm looking for an excuse to put a pre-1972 white-on-black plate on it. Whistle

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair the cop was hanging back and let us get on with it. He only actually pulled me over once we got on a mile long straight. In general I'm ambivalent about the polis, probably even somewhat anti - but I couldn't knock this guy at all.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 346 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2