Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A nice days ride

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tonyg1987
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:44 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: A nice days ride Reply with quote

Looking for some places to ride on my days off from work while the weather is good, nowhere too far from where I live as I won't be staying overnight, just a day out sight seeing. Preferably within 200 miles of Liverpool. Went to Llandudno and betws-y-coed yesterday and really enjoyed it.

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:28 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head north to the Lake district, Windermere to Patterdale is a very good route, most of the roads around there are worth the visit

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:36 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I avoid Windermere like the plague, especially in summer. Stuffed full of coach-loads of pensioners and tourists, and not much in the way of scenery. Damned if I can figure out what people see in the place.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:05 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each to their own and all that shit, there are some good roads around there and I suggested the best one I found. Rather than dismissing it maybe you could suggest a better place for him to try, that is what was asked in the op.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:16 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liverpool/Lake District (avoiding Windermere)
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Personally, I avoid Windermere like the plague, especially in summer. Stuffed full of coach-loads of pensioners and tourists, and not much in the way of scenery. Damned if I can figure out what people see in the place.

+1 Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:20 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should probably qualify that in summer, most of the central Lake District is rammed out with tourists, but at least on the route I've given, you'll see some nice scenery. DaveV4's suggestion of Patterdale is a good one, and it's on my route shown above.

The Windermere road has the potential to be a good ride, albeit sans decent scenery, but is usually just too crowded - stuck behind queues of cars and coaches, not to mention those 'road-train' things they use around there that are a bugger to overtake.

My route suggestion: no idea about the Liverpool end; OP will probably know that better. Windermere seems the logical route from there, but trust me, there are much better places to ride, and the Lake District is largely about the scenery, so why not see some of it?

DaveV4, didn't mean to sound dismissive of your suggestion, sorry if I came across that way.

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:54 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

DaveV4, didn't mean to sound dismissive of your suggestion, sorry if I came across that way.

No pal, my apologies for the harsh reply, was having a bad day. Things not going to plan atm.

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:58 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

North Wales is only a stones throw.
Plenty of decent roads & Scenery.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A483 between Newtown and Crossgate. 20 miles of awesomeness.

Ride it.

Turn Round.

Ride back.

Repeat until you run out of fuel, or talent.

Thank me later.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:42 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:

Ride it.

Turn Round.

Ride back.

Thank me later.

*ahem*...

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/hedge%20trimmer%204_zpsuufmerni.jpg

Embarassed

Laughing

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Whoopsie! On the plus side, to find the limit, you always need to go over it. Job done there it seems! Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:48 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:

Whoopsie! On the plus side, to find the limit, you always need to go over it. Job done there it seems! Laughing

Thanks for the excuse Laughing

Tonyg1987
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:45 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Monkeypony wrote:

Ride it.

Turn Round.

Ride back.

Thank me later.

*ahem*...

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/hedge%20trimmer%204_zpsuufmerni.jpg

Embarassed

Laughing

Did the bike survive this?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:43 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of.
Basically, the R1 forks did, and are now on my replacement bike.
The guy that did the fork conversion did resurrect the bike, but it needed a lot of work. The end result:

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/1924025_952672331487377_27521029323816842_n_zpsdyqqce0i.jpg

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:53 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

I agree Thumbs Up Head down to the Hawkshead ferry, then up to Langdale, Wrynose and Hardknott passes and then Wasdale Head Thumbs Up Prettiest place in England Cool

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:40 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

spnorm wrote:

I agree Thumbs Up Head down to the Hawkshead ferry, then up to Langdale, Wrynose and Hardknott passes and then Wasdale Head Thumbs Up Prettiest place in England Cool

I have a favourite route that takes in Wasdale. I go down there on the A595/5086, which is a nice, faster section with some really nice bends and generally good surface; turn in for Wasdale, and down to the lake. Then I exit for Birker Fell, which has a fantastic view on a clear day. Then along to Cockley Beck, which bisects the road for the Hardknott and Wrynose passes. Over the Wrynose, then turn left from Little Langdale and over into Langdale. Out via Ambleside, then either up over the Kirkstone, or the A591 to Keswick for another hoon - lovely stretch alongside Thirlmere.

Tbh, if the OP is coming up this far, he might also try the roads around Middleton-in-Teesdale, Alston, Hartside Cafe etc as well, or the Yorkshire Dales around Hawes, Buttertubs Pass etc. I'll occasionally do day rides as long as 500 miles, although about 300-350 is probably a more realistic distance for an average sort of figure if you wanted a longer day than just riding locally. All these places are within 200 miles of Liverpool. In fact, if that's your only restriction, you're pretty spoilt for choice.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 312 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1