Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MT09/Tracer/XSR900 recall.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: MT09/Tracer/XSR900 recall. Reply with quote

Just a heads up to anyone else with awesome taste in bikes. Cool I had a letter from Yamaha but someone who bought
used may not have heard.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2017/04/08/yamaha-recalls-fj-09-fz-09-xsr900-motorcycles-due-handlebar-issues/

tl;dr version- Handlebars might fall off a bit..

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:09 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's News to me.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:14 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wasn't sure what forum to mention this in tbh. Happy for a moderator to shift it if it's not in the right place.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:07 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, you're fine, only saddos and weirdos post in or read Biking News.

Crying or Very sad

Recluso
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:21 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's helpful to know. I've just checked my VIN from the V5 and it's not one the list they've included so fingers crossed am okay!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:29 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recluso wrote:
That's helpful to know. I've just checked my VIN from the V5 and it's not one the list they've included so fingers crossed am okay!

The online article about it in my OP refers to US bikes. The letter I have from Yamaha Motor Europe N.V. makes no
mention of frame numbers at all apart from my own. It reads

Quote:
Dear GRR666 (you handsome son of a gun)

Our records indicate you are an owner of a YamahaMT09/A MT09TRA or XSR900 the details of which are given
on the attached sheet. As part of Yamahas policy of constantly monitoring the quality and performance of its product,
we regret to announce that the factory has identified a possible defect with your machine in that on some units there
is a possibility that the lower handlebar holders may come loose and in the worst case scenario if not replaced
can result in a loss of steering
. We would therefore advise you to contact your Authorised Yamaha dealer at your earliest
convenience quoting your machines chassis number and current mileage to arrange a mutually convenient
for them to replace the lower handlebar holders with 'countermeasure parts'

Please take this letter with you when you visit your dealer. The work will of course be carried out free of charge

Blah blah blah

Should you have any questions on this matter please do not hesitate to contact us on 01932 358026 or 01932 358042,
during office hours 9am-5pm Mon to Fri. Please note that these lines should not be used for any other purpose.

Bit more blah about apologies for endangering my life once again.

Yours sincerely Yamaha Motor Europe N.V.

Karl Radley.
Manager After Sales Department

My frame number is RN2960009XXX (last 3 digits obscured just for the record) I think all of these bikes need this
work doing to be honest. Found a pic of the offending part.

https://www.fz09.org/forum/attachments/82705d1490819950-first-us-recall-xsr900-yamaha-handlebar-recall.jpg[img]

Recluso
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:54 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's more annoying xD

I guess I'll wait to see if a letter turns up then. At least they've acknowledged it. Silver lining and all that Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:40 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recluso wrote:
Well that's more annoying

Hmm, I've just found out by my own research that mine is also among the ones that should have been recalled in 2015
for a different issue with the gearshifter. Didn't get a letter about that, but mine is one of the 418 bikes affected. Rolling Eyes

https://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=4DAE4B5E20D1BCC880257E1B0040DE37&freeText=Blank&tx=

Looks like Fowlers will be seeing my deathtrap back again pretty soon. I'm having my suspension setup next week
I'll get it booked in after that I suppose.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:28 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI you can check your MT09 here:

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/services/modification-checker/index.aspx

You can get there all recall letters in pdf. Useful if yours is used like mine and you can't receive letters from Yamaha.

The nice bit is you will see there all recalls for your specific VIN.

There has been some shift and transmission issues with some VINs.

dou91e
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my recall letter for mine on wed, Waiting on the dealer getting the parts from yamaha so will be next week before it goes in.

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's affected. Haven't called the dealer yet, but rode it at 70ish mph today. Many kittens killed

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:02 - 22 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dou91e wrote:
I got my recall letter for mine on wed, Waiting on the dealer getting the parts from yamaha so will be next week before it goes in.

Fowlers Motorcycles seem happy to let me ride round on mine for another month. Can't get it on the ramp until
24th May. Shocked They also can't tell me that the gear changer spline from the 2015 recall has been done or not.
An email to Yamaha UK may be in order.

Quote:
It should have been done during PDI, or first service.
Said the dollybird on the phone.

What confuses me is how they would have done this work without telling me. The gearchanger spline that's
at fault looks a relatively aggravating job to me. I'm sure if they had done it, they would have metioned it at
the time. They seem unable to provide any proof the work has been completed. I will be tightening the thumbscrews
on Fowlers to see what else I can get out of them. I'll wait until Monday and speak to the gaffer though.
I got the feeling I was interupting someones Facebook time by having the gall to ring my supplying dealer about
the recalls on the product they sold me.

The other offending article.
https://touron2wheels.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/yamaha-mt09-recall-shifting-shaft-20150410.jpg

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer, just used the VIN checker and it seems mine is also affected. Will call tomorrow and let you know how I get on!

dou91e
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:57 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dealer rung me yesterday to say parts arrived and mine goes in this wed for the work.
Gives me a excuse to have a look even if the wife has told me not to buy anything else.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:08 - 25 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have compiled a scathing email for Fowlers about what I consider to be an undue delay in sorting mine,
and the inability to demonstrate whether or not the shifter shaft has been replaced yet as nobody can definitively show
me that it has, therefore I have to assume it hasn't. I just need a direct email address to make sure it ends up on the right desk.

Last edited by grr666 on 07:57 - 26 Apr 2017; edited 1 time in total

Recluso
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 03:14 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I have compiled a scathing email for Fowlers about what I consider to be an undue delay in sorting mine,
and the inability to demonstrate whether or not the shifter shaft has been replaced yet as nobody can demonstrate to
me that it has, therefore I have to assume it hasn't. I just need a direct email address to make sure it ends up on the right desk.

Take it to CMC motorbikes in future. Just off the M4 by Magor. Is where I got my Tracer from. I wouldn't dream of paying money to Fowlers xD

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:00 - 26 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is I'm 15 mins from Fowlers and it's where I bought the bike, I figured since that's where I bought it that's
who had to do the recall work. Didn't know I could take it to any Yamaha dealer.

Recluso
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 02:30 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Thing is I'm 15 mins from Fowlers and it's where I bought the bike, I figured since that's where I bought it that's
who had to do the recall work. Didn't know I could take it to any Yamaha dealer.

So far as I know, it can be any certified dealer. But seriously, check out CMC when you can. Nice place and decent people Smile I didn't feel pushed into buying when I was eyeing up the Tracer but they were honest with me and said that the the Tracer 700 would just be a side step from the XJ (as that was my initial consideration).

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:18 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
and the inability to demonstrate whether or not the shifter shaft has been replaced yet as nobody can definitively show

Let us know if you find an address. I have *never* had a response from the Contact Form on their website. (apart from the automated email saying they'll reply within 48 hours. Ha ha). I think it delivers queries straight to the bin.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recluso wrote:
grr666 wrote:

So far as I know, it can be any certified dealer. But seriously, check out CMC when you can. Nice place and decent people Smile I didn't feel pushed into buying when I was eyeing up the Tracer but they were honest with me and said that the the Tracer 700 would just be a side step from the XJ (as that was my initial consideration).

Recluso, have you used the link Val put up to see if your bike is affected, if so, have you looked into getting it sorted? Im gunna call the local dealer, and wondered what sort of response i was going to get.

Recluso
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:28 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly is xD I'll be giving CMC a call in the morning to see if they can fit it in. Mine's affected by the handlebar issue.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update The Motorbike Shop at Farnborough have done my handlebars.

Also my throttle was very snatchy - they have checked and updated the ECU. It works much better now.

Plus they found my yoke was kind of loose. There has been a clunking sound when I brake. They also fixed it.

All for free today Thumbs Up

Definitely they are my favorite Yamaha garage now, can't praise the good work they've done enough Very Happy

So my experience with my local Yamaha dealer - very good.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Just an update The Motorbike Shop at Farnborough have done my handlebars.

Also my throttle was very snatchy - they have checked and updated the ECU. It works much better now.

Plus they found my yoke was kind of loose. There has been a clunking sound when I brake. They also fixed it.

All for free today Thumbs Up

Definitely they are my favorite Yamaha garage now, can't praise the good work they've done enough Very Happy

So my experience with my local Yamaha dealer - very good.

Hi Val, did you guy it from that dealership. I love about 45 mins from there and my tracer is one of the bikes affected. Did you just ring them up and say that you discovered your bike is on a recall and they organised a time to bring it in? did you have to leave it over night? My throttle is kinda of snatchy, so i wonder if its worth giving them a call?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:15 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was done while the bike in having the rad replaced. So that's that out of the way. Thumbs Up

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:24 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Mine was done while the bike in having the rad replaced. So that's that out of the way. Thumbs Up

Was this at the place you got the bike?

Does anyone know the deal if you have a second hand bike?

I can see my bike is affected by the " 'andle bar gunna fall off mayte" recall. But as its second hand, I am obviously not going to get a notification, so do i just call any Yamaha dealership.

Ta Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 314 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2