Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How many bikes is to many?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:59 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 3 in the garden until recently (2 weren't mine), I could probably fit 5 at a push Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:14 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
It's my bank account that's inadequate Sad

Garage space for me. Sad

I can't help with your garage space, I'm afraid. However, my money situation... Whistle
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have space for one more ... that would make 4 ... then the garage would be full .... outside standin is off the agenda as no chance of gettin insurance round here without a brick built garage ...

think four would be sufficient anyway... Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:02 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bikes have always lived in a garage made of air Thumbs Up

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i had more space and money then i'd have more bikes Laughing

I presently have 2 and soph has 1, the 2nd of mine has come in handy so she can actually get to work as hers is still borked

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon I'd easily have room under cover for another two bikes, tbh once at four bikes I reckon I'd say fuck it I can't be arsed to look after and use any more. Definitely room for one big naked bike, another two stroke, and especially a cheap plastic scooter, that I'd probably ride and prefer to do most of my miles on.

If I ever got lucky and my car found itself a nice lock up unit with a fully equipped car post lift and workshop, I'd have my garage back and I'd be really fucked then as I could have way to many bikes if I had any money.

I don't agree with all this if you can afford it and justify it to yourself it's OK to have many bikes. I ain't ridden a sportsbike for nearly a decade, and I'd be a shit 50pence piece rider on a BMW S1000RR.

Therefore I shouldnt be allowed one, as a fast group track day regular or an experienced litre sportsbike rider could make better use of it and it's only right for a very capable bike to go to a decent rider.

Besides you look a right prick on a 200bhp WSB replica if your best committed Sunday morning ride leaves CB500 riders riding round the outside and blasting off into the distance. I'd never want to look that much of a cunt on the latest blade beater, so I'd never buy or ride one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:52 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Teflon, I fucking dare you to do a concise TL;Dr of your above post? It's confused the fuck out of me that's for sure!

TLDR, is basically, there are so many reasons for owning a bike, beyond what most people ever use one for; they may be a domestic appliance like a washing machine to 'just' do a job, they can be a bit of sporting goods like a fishing rod or cricket bat; they can be a hobby like making match-stick ship-in-a-bottle, or collecting stamps, or any combination there-of!

They don't have to have to have a 'purpose', just a 'reason' to be. So, as long as they give you 'something' by way of pleasure; you can afford them, and have the space for them, what he heck, have as many as you have space for, can afford and DO give you some pleasure.

Concise enough for you?

stevo as b4 wrote:
In your boat, I can get you having the classic twin shocker trials iron, the working CB750F and a superdream 125 each for you and the missus, maybe a spares bike or parts, and maybe a project one for your kids if/when time comes they want to ride.

Lol! I'd actually be glad to see the back of the bludy 125 Super-Dreams at this point! They were Snowie's idea! I wanted to 'do' the little Yammie Enduro..... and there's a bit more behind that one too....

stevo as b4 wrote:
Whats happening with the VF1000R though? Are you still replacing it with a used blackbird, or are you going to restore it and let it live again?

There's a lot of 'history' in that one. But first up it's not the Homologation-special, gear-cam 'R' model, its the lesser 'F' version, and more, the even less rare US Spec 'Iterceptor' variant, with slimmer tail and cast rather than comstar wheels.

It came off the road, circa 2001/2, after 4/5 years service, and at least 3, run ever more into the ground, due to 'Marriage'. The least said about the better; but a death rattle was the last straw, and diggig thing out of dire maintenance over-draft a no-go... at that time, it was the great unloved and wouldn't have sold easily for sensible money, even if working properly. As a spres or repairs project, even less so, and with so few on the roads it wasn't even one that would make sense breaking for spares.

Intent had been to lay it up until funds allowed repair and then keep using. Divorse saw to it that never happened, and the Seven-Fifty was pressed into service as a stop gap, when 'communal assets' were in dispute. But the VF was pretty much BER, by 2005.

I had the 'notion' around then, that its delapidation matched and was due to same cause as my own, 'restoring' it may be occupational theropy; even if it was more than the thing would ever be worth. Meanwhile my own failing heath meant it was too big a job; I picked on the tiddler's, as slightly more manageable and likely 'successful' theropy; and elected the Yammie Enduro to do 'for me', before Snowie diverted attenson into the little Super-Nightmares.

Currently, it's not even in one piece; I had hauled the motor out to look at the little end problem, just before divorse struck. It then had to be re-located and was put in a shed that colapsed on it! And let all the staka-boxes of bits get filled wth rain water for a year or so whilst it was listed in the 'communal assets', and I really couldn't do anything with it. (She was actually more antagonistic towards my bikes, and trying to get a court order to force them 'sold' than she was the effin houses, despite both being bought long before marriage!)

As is, its an apple crate special; and I would have a heck of a lot of 'sorting' to do to even organise the apple-crates!! Let alone make some sense of the bits! The model its still great unloved, despite what some folk optimistically aim for on e-bay, and it's still way BER, whilst influx of US imports and e-bay, its not even as rare as it was eighteen years ago. No one in that time has had any great affection for the darn things, and it's only value to any-one would seem to be any sentimental I afford it, and that, I think has pretty much waxed!

So what's happening to it, is not a lot. Too much else that's far more useful or important to contend with. As I work down the list, and sort out all the ruddy Super-Dream bits, hopefully bolting them together to make complete bikes again, and can see what's what of the VF-Parts, I may apple crate them up and see if some other mug wants to take them off my hands! I might find the enthusiasm to tackle it... but, it's doubtful.

As for replacing it; That happened a dozen years ago or more, when I bought the 'seven-fifty' as a 'stop-gap' whilst pondering the 'to-do' and the 'to-buy' list to make the VF live again!!!... Even that though was on its last legs when I got it. It's in better fettle now than it was then, but still, thing seems loath to turn up its toes, and has grown on me!

stevo as b4 wrote:
It would fuck me off and others to think of one buying more newer tidier bikes to use, but then also letting a rare classic sit in the yard for 20years till its so fucked it'll need weighing in for scrap.

If I bought a Black-Bird, or anything else, it would be to replace the Seven-Fifty, that long ago replaced the VF as the 'rider' in the fleet.

Notion comes round periodically; usually when I am struggling to throw my leg over the jacked up suspension of the seven-fifty, or shift ts ill-balanced bulk about the patio, or pondering the brakes starting to clatter a bit again, or the alternator chain rattle its had since I got it or the annual MOT, and what I would do if it don't pass!

The VF was, in 1997/98 the last 'nice' bike I have had! And the notion that a twenty year old SBB, which I probably wouldn't even pay as much for as I did the VF twenty years since, and likely be in rather more care worn state, so the idea it would be that much 'newer and nicer', is a little bit 'relative'!

VF, was essentially so phucked it was fit for scrap years ago, when it last had a tax disc! So what difference it make? If it means that much to you, bring a van and a broom and take it away! You'll probably have to sift through the remains of the collapsed shed to find all the bits though!!

It's barely a 'classic'.. just 'old'. They are reletively 'rare', certainly in the UK but that was mainly because few actually wanted one, even when they were new! And there's probably more in the UK now than there were then! And probably still more bikes than people that actually want one!

Gear-Cam 'R' model? Should be a slighty different story. Still actually not all that rare; They made a couple of versions of them, one with a steel frame, like the 'F', and one with an alloy one, that didn't actually make the darn thing much if any lighter! And they conclusively failed to flog even all of them when 'new'! Built for the 1983 race season, I think, most were still sitting around on dealer's show-room floors as late as 1991! More still came in from unsold US and Euro stock in the grey-import era of the mid to late 90's. An interestig motorcycle, but a museum piece, and more have probably survived, on the original 'exclusivity' than have the 'F' models, and Bol-Dor variant! One keeps popping up on e-bay, a 'collectors special' with a silly price tag, and keeps failing to command it! Even those, realistically aren't exactly a particularly 'desirable' classic!

So mine? Well, it was phucked in 2002, when it last had a tax disc. If you want to chastise me for it getting into a state, go ahead! After I returned from the '98 TT on it, went to Matlock on it for my Stag do, I got married, and it started to deteriorate into the state it's in now! It hasn't got any better since, but it's barely any worse, and greatest 'crime' against it was actually starting to try fix it circa 2004, when it and me got kicked into touch by divorce! It only had a shed fall on it! It got away 'lightly' from the deal, I think!

I don't feel guilty about it! It got more love and affection from me in the years it was on the road than any-one else would have ever given it! And in the time since? Well, I might not have levered that one from the grave, but, I've saved my fair share, of others I think! Oh-Kay.. so most of them were 125 Super-Nightmares... and more folk it seems appreciate them, than they do VF's!!

And I doubt it's decrepitude and neglect phuck off as many so much as long and rambling posts! REALLY... does it? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Billy Balthorpe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:54 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's ok to have as many as you like as long as you can justify them to yourself.
I have a Victoy Vegas 8 ball as a bar hopper/sunny day cruising bike.
A Fazer 1000 (ratty but reliable) as a long haul/bad weather bike.
A nice FZR 1000 pre EXUP I bought to restore.
Another FZR 1000 pre EXUP in a state which was given to me so doesn't really count does it?

I now want a greenlaner which I will buy when I sell one of the FZRs.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:59 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tef...

No, that post was NOT concise.

This was.

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

only tef could start a post TLDR and still write fucking war and peace

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:38 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the sperg is flowing, you have to wait until it's spent.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 was too many for me. 2 is just right.

My dad has 7 (6 with tax and mot, one being actively rebuilt). He wants a bigger garage

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
My bikes have always lived in a garage made of air Thumbs Up

sadly i have a newcastle post code so its ..
brick build garage or bugger off.. Rolling Eyes

Billy Balthorpe wrote:

I now want a greenlaner ...............

join the club.. Whistle

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have about ten. They come and go. I can't deal with it.

I have three cars. And loads of bikes. I really struggle keeping on top of them all. I'm trying to cut down now. I want my TTR250, my CB400 and my MT5. The 400 is the one that will be replaced one day, I just want one of the bikes as a bit of a hack-about.

The issue I have is that all of mine are in various states of disrepair and I don't know which one to start with and having so many means I no longer have space to work on any of them. The sheer daunting task of getting on top of them all results in a lack of enthusiasm for getting going. Combined with that fact, my cars are sort of project cars as well. The Jimny is off the road awaiting pretty much a rebuild. The Delica L400 fuel injector pump has gone a knacker and that needs sorting, especially as I rely on that one to get me around. My P38 needs work doing as well, currently that's still stashed at a mates lock-up. Combined with that me and my dads project Landy SII wants stuff doing, I no longer have any time at all for the bikes.

I can't get rid of them though. I'm in love with all of them and I feel as if they all serve a purpose, or should I say "will", when they're done. I can't bring myself to let them go for peanuts, despite knowing the stress it would save me when they go, really weird. I've often wondered how people with so many projects can keep on top of it all. Laughing
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I don't agree with all this if you can afford it and justify it to yourself it's OK to have many bikes. I ain't ridden a sportsbike for nearly a decade, and I'd be a shit 50pence piece rider on a BMW S1000RR.

So you mean you couldn't justify to yourself owning one...
Others could (not me!).

Last edited by Alpineandy on 17:42 - 21 May 2017; edited 1 time in total

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:40 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
It's not unheard of two (or more) bikes of the same make and model so one is always on the road while fixing the other(s) and you can swap parts between them.

I had this until recently, one cat b written-off bike and an identical one for daily use. Having that spare bike got me out of lumber several times by simply harvesting a minor part off the loaner but my wife didn't see the value in keeping it and in the end I relented and sold it for £600. Now I am torn between the dread of paying to replace my 60k miles engine if it explodes or the notoriously fickle gearbox/final drive shitting it's wad and the satisfaction of getting to tell her "I fucking told you so".

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have stripped down the spares bike and put bits of it in every drawer and cupboard in the house, and kept the engine under the bed. That's what I'd have done.

Come to think of it I've got a spare carb, and CDI box and other assorted parts in my sideboard cupboard, and a two stroke top end under my bookcase.

I'd quite like a spare Rover 2.0 car engine for a rainy day, but that would have to live in my garden, as there's no fucking way I could drag a 150kg car engine up the steps to my front door. Laughing

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 2 at the moment, they are different in engine configuration at least.

SV1000S and a ZX7R

The SV is now my commuter/tourer/pillion bike, the 7R is my fun bike for dry days.

I could happily have more though, space is a factor however

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:43 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Concise enough for you?

1,567 words.
Reading time 8 minutes 42 seconds.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon once past illogical and nostalgic 125's/200's that I'd be pretty good at saying no to more bikes in the middle weight classes. There's some nice 250's about, but I think anyone that owns and really rides (not looks at) say a KR1S or NSR250, would be a twat to think I need an RGV or TZR or vice versa. You'd only need one example to get the thrills from,as you would a sportsbike 400.

I reckon I'd be good at avoiding middle weight VFM dross or just bargain everyman bikes like Bandits and Fazers, as I have no need for them. I can only think of one bike of 400cc I'd really actually go out of my way to make room for and look after, and it's one I missed out on buying 16years ago when they were cheap but still rare.

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 20:02 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, my name's Craig and I'm a motorcycle enthusiast.

I've successfully managed to whittle my fleet down from eight bikes to six. Anyone fancy a Superfour for summer?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:19 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:
Anyone fancy a Superfour for summer?

https://img.memesuper.com/d9d6c989b5bc4510d6ed97f131175464_destiny-thread-bungie-9-9-14-sort-of-want-meme_237-344.jpeg

I mean, no, NO, do not want.

Sort of.

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 07:45 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suppose it depends on the room, a good friend of mine bought a 50cc scooter when we were at school, after it got wet a few times he decided to build a shed to keep the thing dry and give him some work space.

Not a bad thing but this friend in question for some reason refuses to sell anything and over the years the shed became a big shed became a small lockup and is now a pretty impressive unit.

Last time i was there the current "stock"was.
That 50cc scotter i forget what it it
Kawasaki gpz305
Kawasaki zx6r
Kawasaki zx9r
Kawasaki er5
Cagiva Canyon
Cagiva Navigator
Yamaha R1
Yamaha R1 track bike
Yamaha MT07
Yamaha TDM850
Aprilia mille R
And a couple of motocross bikes for green lane use i forget what they are tbh.
I might of missed a couple im honestly not sure Laughing

The lock up now covers the majority of his garden and has a bigger footprint than his house Laughing he doesn't ride all of them either....just cant bring himself to sell anything once hes done with it.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:52 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:
Hi, my name's Craig and I'm a motorcycle enthusiast.

I've successfully managed to whittle my fleet down from eight bikes to six. Anyone fancy a Superfour for summer?

My GF might...?

darkhorizon
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:46 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I peaked at 3. Now just 1. Live in London, no garage or off street parking. My current machine been knicked once from outside the house (found later in a hedge). Can't consider anything nice as some plank will try & help themselves to it. Sad times.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 313 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5