Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Central heating boiler losing pressure, what to do?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:14 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think of the combi/vented comparison as similar to the comparison between a modern car engine and an old truck one.

The modern system will give reliable and efficient operation if you service it regularly - in the case of a combi this means keeping it bled, keeping the inhibitor strength up, and occasionally flushing the system through (which I do with mains pressure every couple of years).
Once it starts to get silted up though, you're fucked.
- The plate heat exchanger gets clogged, which slows down the flow.
- This lets the primary heat exchanger run slow, boil, and knacker itself.
- When the system starts to silt up and rust more internally, you get more air in the system. This makes the pressure fluctuate more, which puts more pressure on the expansion vessel, and kills it.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:21 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Once it starts to get silted up though, you're fucked.

And there's the rub.

When I had my system fitted, it didn't come with a "yeah, you need to drain and mains flush it through every couple of years" caveat on it, and nor did the sink monkey fit valves that would allow for doing that - it's only got drain valves and the boiler filling loop.

The warranty and service plan are dependent on an annual servicing of the boiler (only), not on flushing the system.

Which brings me back to my strong suspicion that plumbers are fitting them knowing full well that they're hiding the total costs of ownership and drumming up more guaranteed business for themselves later down the line.

I say suspicion, but the latest sink monkey (paid for by a service plan) was decent enough to essentially point this out, "That's where I'd have put the mains valve, mate," stylee.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:16 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engineer maneged to repressurise the expansion vessel. He said that the diaphragm can leak water round the seal over a long period so the diaphragm hasn't actually gone. He also recommended the system get flushed and showed me how i could do it myself. He also said as the boilers nearly ten yeats old i should shop around for some insurance.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:22 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boiler insurance usually includes an annual service too. I pay about a a tenner a month on my 10 year old boiler. It's worth having.

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:41 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

put inhibitor in the system stops the stinky air from building due to corrosion Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2