How important is a fairing for a motorway commute

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 07:46 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
I currently commute 50 to 60 miles a day (sometimes use the car, but do ride in all weathers). 50 miles if I take the motorway, 60 if I take the A and B roads.
I use an older Speed Triple, 955i.
In the winter I use a heated jacket, gloves and goretex leathers. Motorway riding is boring, cold and generally no fun at all.
I really like the Triumph, but if I was buying a sensible bike for the commute I do right now, it would have a full fairing and better luggage options, and lower maintenance.

So what are my options then as I can't bring myself to buy a burg man type thing or a deuville and the Honda bcc type bikes look a bit anemic. This will be my first big bike and I have a budget of £3k to£4K. I don't need to commute all year round and may just use it to travel 20 mins to a tube stop in winter rather than the full one hour to west London.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:51 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
not had to adjust, or do any extra lubing on the chain of either my CF650 or Mash.

Over how many miles?

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
So what are my options .....

Whatever you get will be a compromise in one sense or another, and I'm not sure what will fall into your budget, however....
I've found myself admiring: Suzuki GSX1200F as it looks comfy and is relatively cheap, Hayabusa as powa, VFR1200 as grown up sensible and fast (but heavy), K1200S as per VFR.
None of those suggestions are especially fuel efficient and I do wonder how long a rear tyre lasts on a 170hp bike when I'm riding it.
Laughing
Some of the BMW boxer's might be sensible for an everyday commuter like the R1150RS. So much depends on what your preference is, and what compromises you're willing to make.

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:23 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Davemc37 wrote:
So what are my options .....

Whatever you get will be a compromise in one sense or another, and I'm not sure what will fall into your budget, however....
I've found myself admiring: Suzuki GSX1200F as it looks comfy and is relatively cheap, Hayabusa as powa, VFR1200 as grown up sensible and fast (but heavy), K1200S as per VFR.
None of those suggestions are especially fuel efficient and I do wonder how long a rear tyre lasts on a 170hp bike when I'm riding it.
Laughing
Some of the BMW boxer's might be sensible for an everyday commuter like the R1150RS. So much depends on what your preference is, and what compromises you're willing to make.

They ll sound a bit big and heavy. I was looking to keep it down to800cc or less

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they are all a bit big and heavy.
I actually googled the R1150RS and hadn't realised that they stopped making them such a long time ago.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:04 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Fazer, I would go for the 1000 but I like big bikes. I have an insurance cat b or c (can't remember which) Fazer 600, Mk1, year 2000. It has never ever let me down and the half fairing is surprisingly good.

The GSX650F is fine, if a bit heavy for a 650 and obviously has a full fairing. Wifie had a 650 bandit, same bike with the half fairing. I liked it, she didn't, too heavy.

You could go for an ER6F. Again not my cup of tea and wifies ER6N is somewhat bland in m eyes. Ask grr666, he had one before his 09.

I wouldn't have a BM because twin, and I don't like twins (or BM's that much anyway) but obviously that is a personal view and many think they are the dogs danglies.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:

So what are my options then as I can't bring myself to buy a burg man type thing or a deuville and the Honda bcc type bikes look a bit anemic. This will be my first big bike and I have a budget of £3k to£4K. I don't need to commute all year round and may just use it to travel 20 mins to a tube stop in winter rather than the full one hour to west London.

I have the Suzuki 1200 naked bandit and the gsx1250FA. Bandit is really hard going on the motorway, whereas the FA is almost comfortable. I did Stoke to Cornwall on both and I didn't have to do any Non-fuel related stops on the FA whereas I NEEDED a break every now and again on the bandit.

The downside with the Fa is the weight for shorter journeys and maneuvering.

Your choice of the 650 sounds like a good compromise.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 311 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2