Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

KTM - need help getting in touch with them

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:44 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: KTM - need help getting in touch with them Reply with quote

not been on here for a while as been mad busy at work but i needs the good old BCF help.

Little bit of background..

Bought a 2013 KTM Adventure 1190 about 9 months ago and it appears i have the start motor issue. which basically means at temperatures below 7deg the bike wont start.

I've took it into my local dealer who i have no complaints against as they are excellent. They sent all the diagnostics off to KTM which show the bike is all fine but turning over slowly due to crap starter motor

KTM's response is that they will offer £90 as a gesture of goodwill off a new uprated starter costing £420 including fitting.

As i said, no faults with the bike other than the well known start motor not being up to the job, hence why the fitted an uprated one after this model.

I'm thoroughly pissed that KTM wont acknowledge they fitted crap starters to these bikes and i have an £8000 bike which i cant use for 4 months of the year.

I want to take this higher but KTM are a pain to get hold of, anyone got a phone number or email other than the one on the KTM site that i can get in touch with them on to actually get a response on this.

hope someone can help me

cheers all

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:50 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ktm.com/gb/contact-folder/contact/

https://i.imgur.com/p7CO3e9.gifv

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell it. Move on. Don't ever buy another KTM.

Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:52 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Re: KTM - need help getting in touch with them Reply with quote

As far as I know, KTM in this case aren't really legally liable unfortunately, as you didn't buy a new bike from them - perhaps unless it was an 'authorised KTM used bike' or whatever if they do that scheme.

In this case your beef is from who you bought the bike from; if it's from a dealer then that's a very good chance of it being "not fit for purpose".

Private sale; no chance really.

You could try this number if you've got no avenue left - unfortunately I doubt you've got any legal rights here with the KTM company.

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:02 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cansa i wish you would read before posting shite Smile

Bought from an authorised dealer, warranty not valid anymore and most likely too long to return on the old 'not fit for purpose' excuse.

i've emailed the general email address for KTM but would be nice to get something which wont just get ignored.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:06 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Re: KTM - need help getting in touch with them Reply with quote

rubyhorse2 wrote:
anyone got a phone number or email other than the one on the KTM site

You want the secret one that gets you through to the real customer service reps?

I sympathise, I really do. But what's talking going to achieve?

Warranty is irrelevant, it's a manufacturing defect from new, as KTM have handily admitted by saying that the solution is to replace the motor with a different model (you have that in writing?).

Strictly speaking, your remedy is against the retailer, not KTM. If KTM won't reimburse them, that's their problem, not yours. However, KTM have deeper pockets and might stump up more easily. I successfully got SEAT UK to pay up by going after them rather than a dealer. That was many years ago though, and in hindsight, that was a mistake, I should probably have gone for the dealer. But they do a good job of shrugging and saying "Soz, mate, manufacturer won't wear it mate, nothing we can do," don't they?

You've given them an opportunity to fix the defect, which is all you're required to do. They've fobbed you off with irrelevant babble about KTM. Not your problem.

So, from here:

Get a quote to have it replaced by an independent.

Tell the dealer that you bought it from that they can either replace the motor at their expense, or they can pay that amount to have someone else do it.

When they fob you off again, pay for it yourself and get it done. Invoice them, letter before action, small claim, claim, enforce, get your money back about a year later, or sooner if they fold and pay up early doors.

Feel free to send all the same stuff to KTM UK, there's nothing to stop you from claiming against them instead (or as well), which isn't to say that you'll be successful.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 16:06 - 11 May 2017; edited 1 time in total

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:06 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubyhorse2 wrote:
Cansa i wish you would read before posting shite

Such irony.
WOW

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:07 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Re: KTM - need help getting in touch with them Reply with quote

Oh, forgot to add, this seems to be the number if you want to get more frustrated: 01280 709500

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:11 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, did you buy it from a non-local dealer? Even better, you can give your local one the business of replacing it, keep them sweet, and get the money back whomever sold it to you.

Tough on them, but... not your problem. They chose to deal in KTMs.

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:14 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers roger, from what you've said its sounding like i'm going to have to just get it sorted. i'll try ranting in a few emails and will try that number too G thanks.

picking bike up at weekend so i'll ask for the report from KTM

Cheers

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:30 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! I should stress the importance of giving the retailer that you bought it from an opportunity (one opportunity) to sort it out.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:13 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above - I expect you'll be able to either get it sorted or if desired, get your money back for the bike.

Buying from a dealer does give you decent rights; it just takes some persistence.

Persisting with KTM seems unlikely to get your anywhere however.

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:52 - 11 May 2017    Post subject: Re: KTM - need help getting in touch with them Reply with quote

rubyhorse2 wrote:

hope someone can help me

https://i.imgur.com/mj0oPKM.png

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:21 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM stopped that service a while ago matey, but thanks

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't forget the power of bawwwing on social media

keep to the facts and don't slander as you want to avoid looking like a keyboard warrior

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubyhorse2 wrote:
most likely too long to return on the old 'not fit for purpose' excuse.

Not actually true. 6 years is the time limit to make a claim. It's after 30 days so you can only realistically expect a "Repair or Replace". Up and until 6 months it's assumed the fault was there from manufacture. After that you need to be able to prove that it was faulty at that time. If it's a known fault, that shouldn't be too difficult to establish.

Consumer rights Act 2015 is what you want to be looking at.

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:22 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok update..

KTM has replied after me contacting direct.

they have explained how the part was replaced under warranty and as my bike is out of warranty they will offer me 50% off as a gesture of goodwill.

i've said i am still not happy and dont expect to pay for a part that is not faulty. I'm guessing the above is admission of a defect part at manufacture and regardless of warranty periods or not, should be replaced by them?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:29 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Re: KTM - need help getting in touch with them Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
your remedy is against the retailer, not KTM.

You've given them an opportunity to fix the defect, which is all you're required to do. They've fobbed you off with irrelevant babble about KTM. Not your problem.

So, from here:

Get a quote to have it replaced by an independent.

Tell the dealer that you bought it from that they can either replace the motor at their expense, or they can pay that amount to have someone else do it.

When they fob you off again, pay for it yourself and get it done. Invoice them, letter before action, small claim, claim, enforce, get your money back about a year later, or sooner if they fold and pay up early doors.

Feel free to send all the same stuff to KTM UK, there's nothing to stop you from claiming against them instead (or as well), which isn't to say that you'll be successful.

Best of luck.

I'm not typing it out again, Tef stylee.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubyhorse2 wrote:
ok update..

KTM has replied after me contacting direct.

they have explained how the part was replaced under warranty and as my bike is out of warranty they will offer me 50% off as a gesture of goodwill.

i've said i am still not happy and dont expect to pay for a part that is not faulty. I'm guessing the above is admission of a defect part at manufacture and regardless of warranty periods or not, should be replaced by them?

How long ago did the issue occur and get looked at by the dealer?

If it was before the warranty expired then I'd claim it's ongoing issue that started before warranty expired and thus covered.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 312 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1