Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

should you hide biking from your parents?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic : View next topic  

geoffdevon
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:54 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies - it has been a great help.

I understand now the difference between the CBT and the follow up proper training - which I was not aware of ! He uses pester power well - but thanks to you chaps I can convince him that he needs to get started on the new driver probation - as he does want to progress to bigger and better bikes. Which I'm all for - as I think he's most at risk when bullied into the gutter by car drivers due to the lack of speed.

thanks again all
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoffdevon wrote:
Thank you all for your replies - it has been a great help.

I understand now the difference between the CBT and the follow up proper training - which I was not aware of ! He uses pester power well - but thanks to you chaps I can convince him that he needs to get started on the new driver probation - as he does want to progress to bigger and better bikes. Which I'm all for - as I think he's most at risk when bullied into the gutter by car drivers due to the lack of speed.

thanks again all

My mum bought my first bike at 18 - 400cc. (She didnt know the rules around it Smile)

And I rode it regardless.

But then again, ANPR didnt exist then. Laughing Cool

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:45 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoffdevon wrote:
thanks to you chaps I can convince him that he needs to get started on the new driver probation

To be clear, essentially nobody does the AM (moped) tests. It would be great to see someone trying it, and it would get that probationary clock running for him.

Also, the test content is identical for every bike (the only difference is that mopeds can do a couple of the manoeuvres at a lower speed). So if he can pass on a moped, he can pass on any other bike as he moves up in capacity at 17, 19 and 21.

But it's extra training that'll really matter, not the testing. The CBT does not prepare new riders for using the road. Even going out on a pushbike will give him some useful preparation for that.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my daughter wanted to learn we got her a Gilera DNA 50 which is a scooter dressed up to look like a motorbike. When I rode it I was frightened, really. More frightened than riding the Hayabusa I had at the time. More frightened than riding a push bike because car drivers at least know push bikes are slow.

I know people on here who disagree but I felt a moped/restricted fifty was bloody dangerous so the first thing I did was remove the variator restrictor (read washer) which allowed the bike to at least approach 40 on the speedo. Not fast enough to attract plod but fast enough to at least keep up with town traffic.

So, would I have let her have a geared fifty? Only if I could have got an FS1E or a 70's Gilera but not a modern one. As roger said, slower in real life than an automatic scoot.

Try get him to have the scoot, keep for am year then get a decent 125 geared bike once he is 17.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:13 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never really considered having to beg and plead to be allowed a motorbike...
My Dad's always ridden old british bikes, and one of my youngest memories was going on the back of his Norton. Spent many many hours on motorbike runs with him before I was old enough to get on the Kawasaki 50cc.
Both my older sisters had used it before me, then after a year it was onto a Suzuki GP125.

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:17 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents didn't really mind, they know I'm sensible.

My older brother however almost killed himself a few times on his R1 so when I decided to take lessons right after he almost potato'd himself for good, they were a little concerned.

Dad was a biker, brother is a biker and we've been riding bikes on fields since we were kids. It was inevitable that I'd ride eventually.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 328 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4