Striple wiring mess

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:19 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Lifted the tank, checked all the fuses, only the indicator fuse was blown (replaced it anyway). Bikes still dead, any ideas?

Give up and pay someone who knows what they're doing to sort it.

/the chickenstrip method.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:22 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are easy to get to and still stuck next week I'll take a trip up. However a new loom might be wise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:03 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think the loom's the issue, I had the wiring sorted so the bike thought a blanking plug was installed, it's whatever went pop when I rewired the ignition like an idiot. Going to checkout the relays...

*googles whats a relay*

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:09 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So tested a couple of replays, went to test the starter relay when I realised my booboo:

https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/15/13/82/47/img_2033.jpg

In my defence the main fuse was on the underside hidden by a translucent cover Embarassed

However with a new main fuse the bikes behaving how it did before I 'sorted' the alarm cable wiring (minimal dash lights and bike not priming). I'm more confused than I was before.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:19 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
So tested a couple of replays, went to test the starter relay when I realised my booboo:

https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/15/13/82/47/img_2033.jpg

In my defence the main fuse was on the underside hidden by a translucent cover Embarassed

However with a new main fuse the bikes behaving how it did before I 'sorted' the alarm cable wiring (minimal dash lights and bike not priming). I'm more confused than I was before.

why is there bare wire in the background of that pic? first thing i'd do is make sure all those loose wires are insulated (seperated and taped up) then if no luck, buy a new loom from ebay

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are the alarm cable wires, specifically the four I joined together. There are 8 others but they're not touching anything, however the bikes behaving how it was when they were incorrectly wired/not wired.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:02 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Those are the alarm cable wires, specifically the four I joined together. There are 8 others but they're not touching anything, however the bikes behaving how it was when they were incorrectly wired/not wired.

have you checked for replacement looms on ebay?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it's not the money, I'd just rather not if I can avoid it. Also as it primed etc. before it might be a different problem (that a new loom won't solve).

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:37 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glimmer of hope when it was nearly dark and I'd virtually given up. Thought I'd try holding the 8 alarm cables I hadn't connected (very top of that picture), in case one had been randomly touching before when the bike primed, connected the battery and the dash lit up/bike primed again Shocked

Fuel pump sounded like it stayed on afterwards but I'll take that for now. Started striping those cables but it was too dark to see what I was doing. I'm wondering if the remaining cables need to be terminated? Kinda hope so as if it's two of them that need connecting that's a lot of combinations.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:49 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a loom. Fumbling around randomly may be fun, but it's also a way of spiking an expensive black box, or just blowing a random little switch that stops the bike from starting.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:08 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Get a loom. Fumbling around randomly may be fun, but it's also a way of spiking an expensive black box, or just blowing a random little switch that stops the bike from starting.

Totally agree. You are heading for an expensive meltdown if you carry on but I'm sure you are enjoying yourself. Laughing

I'd just choose a cheaper bike to potentially fry. Thumbs Up

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:37 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Glimmer of hope when it was nearly dark and I'd virtually given up. Thought I'd try holding the 8 alarm cables I hadn't connected (very top of that picture), in case one had been randomly touching before when the bike primed, connected the battery and the dash lit up/bike primed again Shocked

Fuel pump sounded like it stayed on afterwards but I'll take that for now. Started striping those cables but it was too dark to see what I was doing. I'm wondering if the remaining cables need to be terminated? Kinda hope so as if it's two of them that need connecting that's a lot of combinations.

So it's sounding more and more like it's just the loom damage. In all honesty, professionally speaking, A loom that hacked up would bother me even after I got it starting.

Once it's running it's a source for later breakdowns and issues.
So while it will take a while to replace the loom, if you work methodically and carefully you'll end up with a much more trustworthy repair.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blew two ignition fuses and I'm now ready to admit defeat and order a new (so used) loom. I'm fairly sure it's 2 (or more) of those 8 wires that need connecting but if it's going to blow a fuse everytime I'm going to need a lot of fuses.

Looking forward to replacing the loom, the number 1 thing I hate about working on cars/bikes is fiddly connectors Neutral Any tips? I assume take a million photos?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:36 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Blew two ignition fuses and I'm now ready to admit defeat and order a new (so used) loom. I'm fairly sure it's 2 (or more) of those 8 wires that need connecting but if it's going to blow a fuse everytime I'm going to need a lot of fuses.

Looking forward to replacing the loom, the number 1 thing I hate about working on cars/bikes is fiddly connectors Neutral Any tips? I assume take a million photos?

Remove connector and label where it can from with masking tape. Lay the new one next to it and do the same when readding, just use those markers.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:19 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful, the connectors on the triple are utter shit, so double care not to damage the retaining clips.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:20 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Remove connector and label where it can from with masking tape. Lay the new one next to it and do the same when readding, just use those markers.

This Thumbs Up

label both sides of the connections and number them so 1 goes to 1, 2 goes to 2 etc.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:49 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alarm block on the Sprint (same alarm, and I'd happily guess at your expense that it'll be exactly the same as the Street setup) only needed 2 of the multiple wires going into it to be bridged and then everything worked as it should, ie 2 wires got looped together with a bridge plug. That was it!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's identity those wires, if anyone with a street triple wants to take detailed pics of their alarm connector (and most importantly the wires), I'll forever be indebted to you Smile

I'm pissed having to replace the loom for the sake of a single connector Evil or Very Mad Must resist the urge to buy a massive box of fuses...

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:09 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM Pigeon and ask him for a pic under his seat. Sure he won't mind.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:07 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BCF giving hotwiring tips out over the internet Tut Tut

Wink

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
It's identity those wires, if anyone with a street triple wants to take detailed pics of their alarm connector (and most importantly the wires), I'll forever be indebted to you Smile

I may be missing something here, but is this not a simple google? Seems to be awash with pics of how to bride the connector.

https://www.eclipze.com.au/files/daytona675/Plug.jpg

https://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbums/data/1217/Alarm_Connections.jpg

https://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbums/data/1217/Alarm_Connector.jpg

Is that not what you need?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:27 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
I may be missing something here, but is this not a simple google? Seems to be awash with pics of how to bride the connector.

My bike hasn't got the connector/block (it was cut-off in the theft attempt). This is what I have left:

https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/15/13/82/47/img_2034.jpg

My hunch guess was that the four black cables were the ones I needed to join, and I got the bike to prime by doing so. Then it didn't work so I held together those 8 cables (although the wires weren't stripped back), and the bike primed again. So I stripped and twisted those 8 cables together and started blowing ignition fuses.

That's where I'm stuck now. Not sure if it was a glitch (when the bike primed) or what was going on Confused

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ran across this and can't see why you are having such a huge problem? Use a multimeter to find which wire activates which circuit, either continuity or voltage when the circuit is switched on and it should be done in half an hour.

Am I missing something here?

<edit>just looked through the two wiring loom diagrams and it should take less than 10 minutes.<edit/>

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about using a multimeter as you describe but wasn't sure what I was looking for. Sorry if I'm (like the Ed Sheeran song) sperging out loud, but when I connect the battery won't all the circuits be powered?

I got a second-hand loom yesterday fairly cheap, started going through labeling everything today but got hot and tired and gave up for the day (I'd still rather not have to change it).

Here's a pic of the connector on the new loom. Looks like they did try and mark out the cable at the factory, one of my wires (on the original loom) had a bit of red paint on but nothing like that:

https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/15/13/82/47/img_2035.jpg

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:05 - 03 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
but when I connect the battery won't all the circuits be powered?

Yes no maybe dependant on circuit.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 327 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3