Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Need advise for a tail bag

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Renzakuken
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:34 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Need advise for a tail bag Reply with quote

Evening all

Can anyone suggest a decent tail bag which will fit a large(ish) bike chain, lock and maybe a waterproof suit. The smaller the better really but I'm open to suggestions.

This is to fit a 09 GSX650.

Renz
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kriega US10. Or a US5 if you really pack light.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:46 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer 600.

Michelin PR3/4.

Kriega US series.

Almax 19mm.

PVC and Baby Lotion.

Triumph Street Triple.

Somewhere in the above list is the reply you require, as endorsed by BCF.

Pardon?
*Muttering in background*

Ahem! It has been brought to my attention that one of those answers might actually be only my personal preference.

You might have said before I posted it....
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:48 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lomo does a bike tail bag for £29.99 seems to fit bikes and motorbikes alike. Worth checking their dry bags catalogue. They are waterproof, hard wearing and with a reasonable price.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

US10 if you want it compact - personally I'd go for a US20/US30 though as it might come in handy having more capacity in the future and you can always pad the larger ones out with some clothes shoved in the bottom if needed.

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:17 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't go smaller than the US20, but thumbs up for Kriega.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:25 - 21 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kreiga - it just works.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helpful thread. Good work everyone. Kreiga looks like the way to go. Thumbs Up

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:45 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Kreiga - it just works.

Doesnt fit much, looks shit and easily stolen.

This will fit more beers and wont fall off at 130. Also provides a good amount of crash protection.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261710635602

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:55 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
arry wrote:
Kreiga - it just works.

This will fit more beers and wont fall off at 130. Also provides a good amount of crash protection.

Tbh, it's not that hard to break into a top box either. And if secured properly, Kriega bags aren't going anywhere. Properly waterproof too. Plus, no need to have an ugly looking rack on the bike when the luggage isn't in use.

US30 is way too big for just a lock and chain and a set of waterproofs. I can get enough stuff for a week's touring in one. US20 is a very useful size.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:08 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

I am a fan of top boxes apart from on my bike cos they look horrid Laughing

The US30 fits both bikes in my garage fine, and I can see no reason it wouldn't have fitted any of the other bikes I've ever owned. I'm lucky at the moment in that it fits the rack of my KTM without the tails that it comes with, so I'll fit those to the Enfield and then it's an easy transfer one bike to the other no messing.

As for getting stolen, it's 10 seconds each to remove and reattach. Yeah it's not as convenient as a top box but it's not as ugly and permanent either.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way, 30L is too small. 50L is a good minimum. I keep a 30L backpack in the box and quite often I will take it out and wear it for the extra space. Note it is a GtMoto tank bag, but tankbags are shit. Only used on the tank once.

It is a rare journey when I will not have atleast half full box or leave it full when I arrive.

https://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/pagefiles/551000/990smt.jpg

improvement

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:54 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather carry my stuff in a tescos plastic bag than have that top box on my bike, give me a US30 and a backpack if more space needed any day.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:56 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan0834 wrote:

Not if you need to pack 16" laptop, power supply, suit, two shirts, shoes and a bottle of water. In that case you need this 52 litres Jofama bag:

https://www.bykebitz.co.uk/jofama-bag.html

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:48 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're forgetting what the OP said he needed to carry. A Kriega US20 will be sufficient.

I bought the 30 and x2 20s for my last tour, where I needed to carry camping gear. I've pretty much given up on camping now, but it's handy having the two sizes of bag, which I can select as required, and also, they attach to each other very easily, with a choice of more than one way to do it. For my next tour, I'll have the US30 with one US20 strapped on top. That way, they're no wider than the bike, and make for a nice back rest. The 20 will contain anything I might need on the go, and has a shoulder strap, so I can just detach it and carry it around easily, which also makes it useful for days when the large bag can be left at the hotel. Or I can take both bags off whilst still connected, and carry the whole thing in one go.

One other advantage over a top box: because they sit on the pillion seat, any weight you put in them is forward of the rear axle, so they don't spoil handling by making the bike front end light. That's the one disadvantage of them though: you can't carry a pillion when they're on there. But not a problem for me.

I had a top box on one of my old Fazers. I do admit it was a very handy thing to have, and I wouldn't completely dismiss it, but I found it made the bike a little unstable at higher speeds, especially on a windy day. I haven't yet found that with the Kriega system.

And @ Val: the Kriega US30 will take that lot easily, with room to spare.

I'm not saying there aren't other bags and systems that do a good job. But there are things being said here that simply don't match my experience of the Kriega bags.
It's really very versatile kit - the best system I have used in more than 30 years of biking.

All that^^, and I don't even have anything to gain by praising the stuff! Laughing

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:26 - 23 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Either way, 30L is too small. 50L is a good minimum.

It is a rare journey when I will not have atleast half full box or leave it full when I arrive.

https://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/pagefiles/551000/990smt.jpg

improvement

Wowsers, I went away for 4 days with less than your overall storage capacity Laughing

Here's mine with the 'day pack' US30 on:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4226/34842554255_7d93d3bf66_c.jpg

SBDJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 02:59 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Nathan0834 wrote:

Not if you need to pack 16" laptop, power supply, suit, two shirts, shoes and a bottle of water. In that case you need this 52 litres Jofama bag:

https://www.bykebitz.co.uk/jofama-bag.html

I've fitted more than that in a US30 and that was when I was using a huge 17" laptop Smile

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:06 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my Kriega 20 on the back of my bike last weekend and it decided it would remove some paint from tail what with shitty weather and being a bit manky underneath.
Not happy. Mad

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:17 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave.... wrote:
Had my Kriega 20 on the back of my bike last weekend and it decided it would remove some paint from tail what with shitty weather and being a bit manky underneath.
Not happy. Mad

I usually put a bit of that wonder web/blanket stuff under the bags to protect against this, as my US30 sits a bit beyond the back of the seat. The blanket thing itself does leave some marks, but they polish out easily enough.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 328 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1