Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

potential red ash problem - property near Howden

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:36 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: potential red ash problem - property near Howden Reply with quote

Mate just rang me to say his kitchen floor has erupted! Afaict, the the property was changed from wooden boards over joists type of construction to a more modern concrete base style some time during the early '70s.

This reminded me of an issue in Stoke where I used to live, where there was a problem some years ago. Potential buyers were getting refused mortgages for this thing called "red ash". It was quite a problem locally.

So while he was telling me about his floor I quickly googled "red ash" - and what he was describing seemed to be what happens when this kind of cheaper material is used as a base for concrete overfill. Basically, something in the ash reacts with part of the concrete which, combined with moisture and - apparently - movement caused by mining subsidence, not only weakens the floor but also brings about a quite violent (albeit insidious) structural failure in the floor.

But my question is could this be happening as far afield as Howden? From my admittedly cursory googling, search results seemed to relate only to Stoke on Trent. Seems unlikely the problem would be confined entirely to there, but I was wondering if any of you guys with knowledge and/or experience of the building trade had encountered the problem further afield. And also what kind of work is required to treat the issue.

On this latter, I seem to remember the simple answer to that is "extensive". I.e. excavating the flooring and foundations through the entire property minus the bits the walls stand on, and replacing with proper lime hardcore and then concreting onto that.

The cost, inconvenience and hassle seems almost insurmountable and I'm scared my mate's facing very serious problems with his house.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:35 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he does have to do the floors good chance to put insuation under and consider underfloor heating at least some rooms.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:53 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it could be a sulphate attack on the concrete floor. Have a read of this blog post, Joe Mallone is a top notch inspector that deals with the wierd and wonderful.

There's two blog posts on that page that refer to a sulphate attack case and how they remedied it.

https://buildingdefectanalysis.co.uk/category/flooring-defects/

EDIT: Did a Google search on Red Ash Sulphate and it seems it probably is related, red ash is the hardcore infill used below the concrete slab. Just a snippet stolen from the above posted blog...

"Sulphate attack is caused when sulphates contained within the concrete aggregate contain sulphates or the hardcore sub-base below the concrete contains sulphates. These sulphates react with the Tricalcium Aluminate in ordinary portland cement (OPC) to form Ettringite, a crystal that expands as it grows, in the process often causing substantial damage to the concrete floor slab. Moreover there can be consequential structural damage as heave within the floor can displace internal walls built off the floor or indeed displace brickwork in the outer perimeter walls."

Last edited by Moo. on 07:58 - 22 May 2017; edited 1 time in total

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:54 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't be cheap, but then I would hope that the house insurance will cover it.

Failing that, your friend should buy a cement mixer and shovel. He has a new hobby called mixing concrete.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:00 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moo. wrote:
Sounds like it could be a sulphate attack on the concrete floor. Have a read of this blog post, Joe Mallone is a top notch inspector that deals with the wierd and wonderful.

There's two blog posts on that page that refer to a sulphate attack case and how they remedied it.

EDIT: Did a Google search on Red Ash Sulphate and it seems it probably is related, red ash is the hardcore infill used below the concrete slab. Just a snippet stolen from the above posted blog...

"Sulphate attack is caused when sulphates contained within the concrete aggregate contain sulphates or the hardcore sub-base below the concrete contains sulphates. These sulphates react with the Tricalcium Aluminate in ordinary portland cement (OPC) to form Ettringite, a crystal that expands as it grows, in the process often causing substantial damage to the concrete floor slab. Moreover there can be consequential structural damage as heave within the floor can displace internal walls built off the floor or indeed displace brickwork in the outer perimeter walls."

I think his only saving grace is that the floor was a replacement for timber so none of the walls will be built off it. If it's already heaving though they better do something quick to relieve any outward-bearing pressure since the slab will expand in all directions but when it gets jammed on the sides the only way is up. Chase around the wall line or something to relieve outward pressure.

Since the floor is already heaving then breaking it out should not be too big an issue. I would fetch a breaker and do one room at a time. Break out the slab, lay a barrier over the substrate and put in a new slab with foam expansion around the periphery. Hell since it's a non-load-bearing slab just wack the substrate flat, throw down 2" of jablite and screed over the top. The jablite will form the barrier for the sulphates.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chrisdubya
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:52 - 22 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Moo. wrote:

I think his only saving grace is that the floor was a replacement for timber so none of the walls will be built off it. If it's already heaving though they better do something quick to relieve any outward-bearing pressure since the slab will expand in all directions but when it gets jammed on the sides the only way is up. Chase around the wall line or something to relieve outward pressure.

Since the floor is already heaving then breaking it out should not be too big an issue. I would fetch a breaker and do one room at a time. Break out the slab, lay a barrier over the substrate and put in a new slab with foam expansion around the periphery. Hell since it's a non-load-bearing slab just wack the substrate flat, throw down 2" of jablite and screed over the top. The jablite will form the barrier for the sulphates.

+1 on sulphate attack however, there have been instances where the floor expands as you say, but once it reaches the external walls (in properties with a physical DPC in the walls) it can actually push the walls out as the DPC acts as a slip plane.

mas101
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:39 - 24 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moo. wrote:

Thanks for that link. I'd not come across that blog and it makes interesting reading.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 329 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1